Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

highjack...stop the presses...mazen has a tat?...I positively must have details as my best buddy is totally enamored with him (in a harmless sort of way) and not only does she have 3 but her daughter owns a tat shop...must have details ;)

2. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Well I think it differs if you are talking about standard or latin. Standard, better get rid of any mark that doesn't portray you as a gentlemen or a lady. Latin, I think won't hurt too much if you have a bit of the "bad boy" or "bad girl" look. Once at the nationals, I saw an open latin couple where the guy is dressed somewhat like a pirate. Yep...with a bandana!

3. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Agreed. Never, ever, do judges want to see tattooed and pierced standard dancers. There's a little more room for creativity in latin, but even then you need to be careful.

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Excepting, of course (why of course??), ear lobes that is :)

5. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

That depends. Multiple multiple piercings in the earlobe has no place, even in latin.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It depends a lot on the specific tat and where it is. Some tats are horribly distracting. There are two places where IHMO no woman should ever have a tat: one is on the upper arms just below the shoulder, and the other is at the top of the breasts. But I think some tats can work and be attractive. It's still kind of weird for me since it's not something my generation did, but I'm getting used to seeing it.

One thing's for sure, though: if you are going to have a visible tat, you need to make sure that the part of your body where the tat is dances well. For instance, if you're going to have a noticable one on your ankle, your footwork had better be darn good.

Facial piercings I find very unattractive. A bellybutton one can work, though. As for certain other ones... well, if they're visible, you've got other problems. :shock:

7. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

A bellybutton ring is potentially dangerous though. Ear lobes are mostly out of the way when you dance. Sometimes the man needs to be holding the girl around the stomach area, and it just takes something little like a bit of clothing to catch.

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have had a belly ring since before I started dancing, and never had a problem getting it caught on anything. My rhythm dresses and smooth dresses often are two pieces.

My tat is 1x1 inches... hardly a mole :tongue: But it is on the top of my foot and can easily be covered by a bit of makeup and the fishnets help to diffuse it as well.

http://www.dance-forums.com/album/photos/photo-3153.html

But as you can see, sometimes I don't bother to cover it at all.

9. fascination

I had a belly button ring which did tear...story over on that one...once is enough

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of piercings, but have always found navel rings INCREDIBLY sexy.

11. fascination

that was my view as well angel...not into piercings or tatoos but liked the look...um...but I am over it now

12. Angel HI

Over it b/c of teh tear, or just grown out of it? Have no problem w/ sexy little tats (roses, etc) strategically placed, even some tramp stamps, but do believe that moderation or some cover should be considered in dance.

13. fascination

because ripping it once was enough to dissuade me

14. Angel HI

Understood. [​IMG][​IMG] Ow!

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Bah! That's a birthmark! ;)

16. WorksForShoes

WorksForShoes Member

[hijack] BTW, Larinda, I saw your dance camp presentation with Dustin (DH and I were actually sitting where we could have taken this picture), and it was absolutely phenomenal. The material in that presentation will have us working for months (years?), and you really helped him bring it to life. We talked about it all the way home. [/hijack]

17. fascination

I loved it as well...having had very good pros, alot of the workshops speak to concepts about which I have already been familiarized(though perhpas in slightly different language), but that one was something altogether new for me...I slurped it up with a spoon

18. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

Yah, I think CCM may have mentioned it in her review of the smooth show dances in her OSB diary. I think I remember her saying it was on his upper arm. I'd ask her for more info, though...but IMO it sounds sexy :cool:

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

your post sounds strangely incomplete, pregnant....

eg if you want to see a REAL tat then....

20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I did mention it.

From my vantage point, it looked like he had a Chinese character on the exterior side of his left arm, just below the shoulder. (I was in Row O of the risers. Someone further down might be able to supply more info.)

Btw, I'm sure it is perfectly lovely as tattoos go...I'm just not a fan of tattoos. I am a fan of gorgeous men taking their shirts off, though. ;)