Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

That was a 'like' of frustrated commiseration.
  2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Once a nearsighted couple warned us that they wouldn't be able to see all that well...not one, but both of them couldn't see 20/20!

Though I guess as long as you can see a moving body, that's all you need.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hedwaite...i deleted the duplicate then you modified the remaining one...so now you have to re-type it
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

(Retry) This is one of those culture shock things for me regarding ballroom dancers on the larger scale. It seems that there are just as many people on here with unreasonable vanity prejudices against eyeglasses (they're transparent- how can you not make eyecontact through them?) as there are people thinking tattoos are at the very least unappealing. I've never known of anyone to medically require a tattoo, but I know of plenty of people who wear eyeglasses with absolutely no ill affects whatsoever- in regards to leading, following, or on the competition floor in regards to choreography. Pardon me during my adjustment process. Frustration is inevitable, enlightenment is hopeful.
  5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Eye contact has a different meAning to dancers and their audience than it does to 'civilians'.
  6. Hedwaite

Oh, and we don't want those civilians around now, do we?
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Another example is how dances like rumba are danced compared to how the average 'guy on the street' thinks people should interact... Sensuality, bare skin, and erotic expressions from the woman, dominant and commanding movement, skintight clothes, and hi heels for the man have much different meanings 'on the street'.

Specific cultures use visual cues to define its members; very often one message sent out is misinterpreted by another due to context. Fear not... The old days' cliches of pulp fiction, where low class means tattoos and highclass means couture are nowadays reversed... In many areas of the USA, only hookers wear couture suits, and only folks rich enough to spend all that money on a tattoo are the ruling class...
  8. fascination

re; hedwaite

I doubt that was his point

here are my two cents worth;

tats....there is no real way for them to look completely consistent with the look one is going for in standard...folks may disagree...but that is my view...I feel the same about a head half shaved and dyed pink...not really in line with the look...that being said, if I was a judge, I wouldn't mark adversely for it....same with piercings....in latin, I can see how tats and piercings could work...and I think most people evaluate that in the same way that they evaluate costuming, on a case by case basis and primarily in terms of how it all works together and whether it detracts from the dancing...for smooth I think it falls somewhere in between

as regards glasses; I think, when possible, folks should opt for contacts...as in all things sport and art we are evaluated aesthetically and glasses are not an optimal look, nor are my large thighs...just the way it is....my former pro was pretty blind without his glasses, and couldn't afford contacts...he would take his glasses off when we competed and we ran into others more often than is appropriate as we were also shorter...not a good combo...but, unless he used one of those bands for the glasses, I think it would have been a hazard to wear them as when he wore them in studio they were constantly coming off and landing on the ground, breaking etc....so, for me it has nothing to do with placing a judgement on a person...it is more about the desired goal.....
  9. Hedwaite

How did you guys run into other people so often? When we're dancing, if I see we're on a collision course, I can tell my partner (non-vocally, of course), and we can change what we're doing.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

"Collision course" becomes much more complicated and unpredictable when the choreography gets more complicated and faster.
  11. Hedwaite

I guess. Glad it's nothing I have to worry about. I'm sorry I'm sounding like a difficult jerk on here. My mind is trying to slowly adjust and hopefully adapt to the surroundings. It'll take awhile, but I promise I'm working on it.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's not just you being able to see the audience (and your fellow competitors), it's the audience being able to see your eyes. If you have glasses, there is often lots of glare from the lights and all the bling on the dance floor, making both difficult. Wearing contacts eliminates the glare on the lenses, and has the additional benefit of eliminating the possibility that your glasses will fly off or get knocked off.
    dlliba10 likes this.
  13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Yeah, but get hit in the eye and have a lens driven into your eyeball. No thanks.
  14. fascination

was when I was a very new dancer...and he ran into people because he didn't see them...thus, there was nothing which he perceived in advance to warn about....
  15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Who decides what the "optimal" look is?

I saw the term "aesthetic prejudice" earlier. That puts it perfectly, IMV.

It's a completely upside-down world when it's somehow "better" to sacrifice eyesight.

This never happened to me once. In fact I never saw it once among glasses-wearing dancers. However in any case a piece of fishing line would be more than strong enough and quite discrete.

The desired goal of ... *judged* results? This absolutely has to do with placing judgment.

I'm just going to get grumpy if I continue in this thread. I've said my piece; I'll leave it at that.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  16. fascination

I don't disagree with you...but my opinion on the matter won't matter at a comp

I think in my pro's case it was that his glasses were flimsy and loose due to his own financial inability to have them repaired/tightened ... he knew his glasses were prone to coming off, like in tango for instance...not having contacts, his choice was to not have them fly off on the floor...am certain that he didn't care about aesthetics at all..while you may never have seen it happen with yourself or others, I assure you I am recalling it correctly

yes, on the part of judges...not on my part

yes, picking up on that whole grumpy thing
  17. fascination

in general, there are norms for attire and appearance....when I go to work, there are certain choices, were I to make them, that would, fairly or unfairly, have consequences....I am not at all about whether or not the particular norms in ballroom are fair and/or should or should not exist...I am merely commenting on my experience and what I have heard from judges in terms of how someone inquiring should arrive at their own decision if they care two figs about that sort of thing
    bia and SwayWithMe like this.
  18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

OT: Tattoos are used to target radiation therapy! Small dots, but tattoos nonetheless.
    stash and Larinda McRaven like this.
  19. bia

bia Active Member

My personal opinion on glasses, as one who has worn them from age 10: Being able to see matters and overrules any aesthetic considerations. So if contacts aren't possible and the choice is between glasses and blindness, I will always advocate glasses and not criticize anyone who makes that choice in any context. [In fact, I remain highly offended at the scene in Strictly Ballroom where Scott asks Fran, "Do you really need these?" and takes off her glasses, which then disappear for the rest of the movie as part of the duckling to swan transformation. Yes, she needs them, or she wouldn't have them in the first place! And it's evident from the scenes with her family that she can't afford contacts! So she can only be with you if she goes around unable to see? Argh!]

All that said, I wear my glasses in daily life but my contacts for dance, other exercise, and dressing up. Partly because the contacts stay put better, but also for aesthetics. I don't like the glasses plus updo look on myself -- gives the librarian/schoolmarm vibe, which I'm somewhat troubled that I don't like (a nerd socialized into anti-intellectualism?), but I don't. Also, I have found that any but the very simplest jewelry with my glasses is just too busy around my face, and not a look I like (though I have a glasses-wearing friend who rocks her statement necklaces, so I can't generalize). Ultimately, glasses do make an aesthetic difference, and aesthetics matter on the competition floor, so as long as I've got some other way not to be blind, I'm not bothered by taking them off to dance.
    leee likes this.
  20. Hedwaite

If you guys all (and I don't see that it's exactly unanimous, that's somehow comforting) say so. I disagree, but I'm not going to argue the point with you, if that's what you believe. I feel dumb getting sucked into debating this to start with, but morbid curiosity always has its way of getting the best of me, and I get that ridiculous idea that I'm helping somehow.