Techniques across international and American styles

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Jongleur9418, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

Thank you, Warren!

We have actually been taking lessons together for American dances for two years, and will keep that part going. In addition, I started individual lessons on international style with a different instructor recently. The problem is that while the techniques I learned helps me to dance better as an individual, it is not easy to apply to our dancing together. My husband seems reluctant to start international style at this point. So, it seems I can't go too far by myself since I goal is mainly to dance with him.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that...honestly, I think the better you get, the better you get at dancing with anyone...relatively speaking
    mindputtee and danceronice like this.
  3. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

Very helpful tips! Thank you!

I agree that the bronze American seems to be overly "socialized," and this is the main reason for me to start trying international. It is good to know that social dancing with spouse can benefit from international instruction. It seems I should convice my husband of this idea.
  4. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

Sure, it is, technical wise!
  5. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I have a kind of stupid question LOL :oops: might as well ask in this thread (although i have considered starting a "stupid random questions" thread)....

I never got much past Bronze I in smooth before i switched to Standard. I'm curious---are there heel pulls and heel turns for the lady in smooth like in standard?
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Not in the syllabus.
    In your open work? Sure, if you want them.
  7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thank you, Larinda. It was something I was curious about for a while now but had nowhere to ask it LOL
  8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

In "dance", no stupid questions, only stupid answers !
    Miss Silly likes this.