The care and feeding of the new lead dancer.

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I have completed 4 1/2 years at this dance and looking back, I would like to express a few opinions that may help someone trying to survive the first couple years of learning to lead in the social dance. If it is the pleasures of the social dance that interest you; First, listen to the music..it's dancing to the music that will keep your dance always alive and interesting.. Second: keep it simple and learn to distinguish between performance dancing and social dancing. Performance dancing looks good but trying to imitate it will detour you from going directly to your goal...being able to dance fluently and enjoyably with women. Third: If embracing a woman while the world turns, is your idea of fun, then go for it and never break the embrace for any reason. Four: Learn to lead the ocho atras, cortado, caminato ala cruzada and giros right and left.. also walking on the woman's left.. once smooth and automatic, weave them in and out of the music... Five: study the YT videos of Pedro Sanchez... he is good social dancer, dances fluently to the music, is obviously enjoying every note of it, and so are his partners....anyway, this is my advice to the budding new lead dancer. Being detoured into complicated figures and distant, open hold dancing can have you quitting at around the one year mark..and remember the social dance is all about attending and dancing in the milonga and not the endless taking of classes. Finding a practice partner and/or going to the social dance a few times a week, is very effective in creating the fluid, enjoyable dance.

Kelena and opendoor like this.
  2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I'd say that pretty much covers it. Getting students to believe that this advice has any merit is the hard part. New students are quickly seduced by the showy steps.

Mario7 likes this.
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Good and helpful post, Mario. And Pedro Sanchez really is a good suggestion. And guys, watch is upright posture!

Mario7 likes this.
  4. Kelena

Kelena New Member

Absolutely agree with you Mario, if you are a beginner-leader (keep it simple!-keep it simple!-keep it simple!)x100!!! Don't force your follower into impossible postures and movements and (potentially) broken knees :)

Mario7 likes this.
  5. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Choose performances wisely cause you can really learn from some :D

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

eat chocolate fudge cake...

chomsky likes this.