The Five Good Things Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Twilight_Elena, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Recently I have been looking at the behavioural patterns so many of us tend to fall into.

We focus on the bad, the mistakes, the screwups, berating ourselves along the way. Sometimes feeling miserable is as familiar as anything and we cling to it and our misery just perpetuates itself. If we've gone through a rough patch, we expect things to go wrong.

Having come out of a rough patch myself, I've noticed that quite often when asked "how are you doing?" I tend to be ready to say "meh, not so well", even though I'm certainly much better than I was, simply because I'm used to it! Are we sometimes predisposed that our day will not go well and just fall into a self-fulfilling prophecy pattern?

Sooooo as a social experiment of sorts and just for fun, I thought I'd propose the following!

Post five things in your day that have gone well or cheered you up or you managed to keep up, however small. Did you not break your diet? Did you walk to work instead of driving? Good weather cheered you up? Good hair day? Satisfying cuppa tea? Chat with a friend? Didn't kill the boss? :p

It's so easy to fall into familiar patterns, forget that we've accomplished things. Every day is full of small victories. Here's to celebrating them. :)

1. Sunny morning. Made me think of home. :)
    2. Wore a dress to work. (Personal fear... often feel scared to be the girl in the boys' club)
    3. One of my best friends came back from a holiday and called me to say she missed me while she was away. :friend:
    4. Made this thread as a statement against the roadblocks my mind so often throws me.
    5. This spot reserved for later. The day isn't over yet. ;)

P.s. Suddenly I feel like Polyanna. :lol:
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

great idea...is similar to why I created the gratitude thread...I felt it very neccessary to be mindful of the proper things as I went through my day....

as for 5 things today...my feet are improving, I had alot of compliments on my class today, it is sunny outside, I have lost some weight, and I am feeling stress free
  3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Five eh; no pressure then.

1. managed to read a bit before I got out of bed....
    2. its sunny.....
    3.no that's it...
  4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

:notworth: I love this new thread, TE! And 5 Good Things will be on the way! :cheers:
  5. Twilight_Elena

I used to be really bad at finding anything positive at all in my day... and some days it seems like I can't get to five no matter what! But even things like "was patient during a crappy day" count, in my books...
  6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

1. A great night's sleep and wonderful dreams.
    2. Beautiful spring-like weather.
    3. A nice breakfast.
    4. Wonderful e-mail in my box this morning.
    5. Running into pleasant people today.

:)
  7. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

1. BF working day shift today--his normal hours are 1:00-9:30, so I actually get to see him before bedtime tonight. :p

2. Facebook chatting with BF during work. I work for accountants and so am currently losing my mind thanks to tax season, and chatting/texting with him keeps me sane.

3. Legs and feet group class with visiting coach tonight

4. Loving my new haircut I got Saturday morning

5. The promise of getting a Sonic drink in about an hour when I go to lunch!
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Go to lunch after 2:00, get it for half price and add a #6 to your list. :-D
  9. musicchica86

Planning on it. ;) Got clients coming in for a meeting at 1:30, so I'll wait until after they get here to go. I get an hour for lunch, so happy hour here I come!
  10. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Mmmmm! Sonic!

1. Sun's shining.
    2. Literally hundreds of sandhill cranes over train station. Finally formed up and headed northwest.
    3. Picking up DS2 for spring break this Friday and thus taking...Friday...off! [​IMG]
    4. New saltwater aquarium shaping up.
    5. Hummus, crackers, and olives for lunch; plan on Chipotle for dinner.
  11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Ok...

I am not homeless.

Physical health is good.

Roof is over my head.

While not yet reemployed I have found dozens of openings to apply for; no such luck in previous community.

It's warm and sunny here.

:D
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Those are all great... :cheers:
  13. musicchica86

BIG Happy #6: BF's mom just added me on Facebook. :D
  14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

1. The Big Bang Theory.
    2. The Kelly Clarkson song "Already Gone".
    3. Getting a bunch of files sorted out.
    4. A wonderful iced tea.
    5. A lovely lunch.

:)
  15. Twilight_Elena

D'awwww! Congrats!
  16. Twilight_Elena

1. Had very healthy lunch, with fruit and veg
    2. Had healthy dinner
    3. Haven't had anything sweet or particularly naughty yet
    4. Went to Pilates
    5. Made this list :D
  17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yippee! :bouncy:
  18. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I can do this......... I need to do this on a day like today..........

1. Traffic was light, and I successfully made it to work on time without getting lost, when I'd never been to this office and did not have a nav system.

2. I had a client today. lol

3. A man I like who is also quite fond of me works downstairs and will walk me to my car later on.

4. I'm gonna go see friends, wish a wonderful man a happy birthday, and get a few nice dances.

5. I have an interview coming up that is going to go very well.

Not thrilled by how hard it was to generate five, but it did in fact cheer me slightly to find some positives in my day :)
  19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

1) Beautifully sunny spring-like day.
    2) Lively conversation with dear friend
    3) Spring break day off from work with DS
    4) Tried Chicago dog at Sonic -- hated it, but trying something new is always nice
    5) DS saved his allowance and bought me a birthday gift. Totally unexpected!
    6) Mom has my back, no matter what. She said so.
  20. Twilight_Elena

It's pretty hard for me too... I think with practice it gets better. ;)

When dealing with depression, counsellors often suggest to write down all the things one achieves. Washing your teeth, getting dressed, going to work or getting out of bed... Things that you would normally take for granted are actually full of meaning.

Similarly, the challenge is finding the good in the crap days... sometimes they're right in front of you, you just don't realise that they do matter. :)