The Infamous Hijacked Thread.....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by peachexploration, Nov 24, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

M-F 8-5. I'll try in the AM early, since their 8 is my 7. There's still hope. :)

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen that happen, and I'm generally appalled (apalled? Appaled? sp?). I keep reminding myself that I'm not a parent and it's easy to look from the outside and "know" what to do--much harder to live it. But then I also think back to when i was a full time babysitter for a summer (3 kids, 10 hours a day, 5 days a week), and remember that I never tolerated that kind of nonsense. No excuses. Tantrums were fine, so long as they were appropriate, and they had to deal with the consequences. Meh. Good thing I'm not a parent.

3. pygmalion

I don't do tantrums. (Say she of ten nieces and four nephews.) Tantrums don't happen, when I'm in charge. At least ... not a second time. :lol:

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, I let them have tantrums. In their room, on their bed. Until they could calm down and deal with the situation politely. No exceptions--you scream and cry and have a hissy fit, you go to your room. Unless we were walking out the door to do something. Then, they didn't have to be happy about it, but they had to come along and behave. They could sulk, so long as it was quiet and did not make a scene. They didn't have to participate, but they had to behave.

I had a couple of problems at first (hard coming in behind a parent who was particularly averse to parenting), but then they got with the program pretty quick.

The only time I ever had problems is if the parent was there, and she'd override me. So your 4-year-old bites when he doesn't like something? No big deal! Just keep your hands away and be quick about it!!! (I'm not kidding, I was actually told that by the parent. I wanted to send her to her room.)

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I love my mom...the first time my brother bit her, she bit him back...end of biting

6. pygmalion

Exactly. :cool: I strongly suspect that tantrums are because of adult behavior. You either let them happen or you don't.

7. fascination

and in a like spirit...I remember watching parents threaten and cajole their little darlings in public places and vowing not to work that way...so the first time my son refused to leave the play area (you know the big enclosed play pens with the balls?) at burger king, I climbed right in, dragged his little heinie outta there-- to the amazement of parents who didn't even know a grown up could fit in there--and he didn't see another kiddie meal for months...my children have never given me much trouble...I am proud of that b/c I earned every minute of it

8. pygmalion

That's hilarious. :lol: Walking away works, too. :cool:

9. fascination

actually, the kid has to know you mean it if you're gonna do that... b/c I saw plenty of lilly livered parents do that but the kid didn't care or beleive them and the parent ended up caving...and then, well, they're sunk

10. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

This is why I don't want children.

11. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a child, but not sure it will happen.

In the meantime, Seattle and Denver are tied at 20 with 46 seconds to remaining.

12. fascination

its really NOT a problem as long as you parent them...otherwise...well, you're dead meat

13. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Parenting isn't easy, yet it can be rewarding.

And Seattle won by a field goal.

14. tj

tj New Member

Too bad for the 'hawks that they lost in the playoffs. But congrats to the Colts!

Someone was saying that it's Indianapolis' first championship? (for the NFL I guess?) Sure looked cold when those fans were cheering around town that night!

15. fascination

speaking of cold and indianapolis...er yes, it is cold here...and hallelujah...a thread for the pupose of being highjacked...hint hint

16. tj

tj New Member

Hints? We guys are soooo good at ignoring hints. ;) :rolleyes:

The question is whether it's intentional or not. :p

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

but it's no fun to hijack this thread... i mean, if it's supposed to be hijacked... it's not really hijacking

18. fascination

I think it is...and I have no (hostile) comment on how I feel about that at the moment

19. fascination

yea...sorta like fliting on the flirting thread...too planned

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well.... am willing to give it a go...

freezing. need hot cocoa. now.