The milonga shuffle once again in Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jantango, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jantango

jantango Active Member

If you had plans to take classes or attend milongas at EL BESO in Buenos Aires, you can cross it off your list. It was closed down a week ago.

Cachirulo (Tuesday milonga/Hector and Norma) is moving to Boedo Tango, San Juan 3330.

Lujos (Thursday milonga/Oscar and Lucia) is moving to Lo de Celia Tango Club.

Milonga de las Morochas (Saturday milonga/Jimena Salzman) is moving to Plaza Bohemia Tango, Alsina 2540.

Only one year ago, Plaza Bohemia at Maipu 444 closed. All the organizers found new venues.
  2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I wish to add that some classes previously held at El Beso moved just a few blocks away, to Escuela de Tango de Buenos Aires.
    http://escuelatangoba.com/
  3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

According to Oscar's announcement, Lujos on Thursday April 26 will happen at La Nacional, Alsina 1465, 6.30 pm to 1 am.

4. gyb

gyb New Member

Anyone knows what happened? Did El Beso close for good, or this is only temporaly? Diego sold the place?
  5. pascal

pascal Member

It sucks. On the other side, the legend of El Beso can now begin, like for the Almagro.
  6. jantango

jantango Active Member

No one has said that the closure is temporary or permanent.

I heard today from another organizer who is hopeful it will reopen. She runs the Wednesday night milonga and will open tonight in Club Fulgor, Villa Crespo.

The milonga shuffle continues as always.
  7. jantango

jantango Active Member

an update on the milonga shuffle in BsAs

Last night I went to a club de barrio. Another organizer of a milonga at El Beso was there inspecting the place as a possible location for her milonga. I went over to talk with her about reasons for the closure. As she explained to me, El Beso was opened originally as a dance academy and was never authorized for milongas. Inspectors were paid off, but the last one closed the place down. Those who have the lease to rent the space have sublet the room for milongas for more than ten years. I gather from our conversation that El Beso is permanently closed.

The El Beso milongas have relocated as follows:

Cachirulo - Tuesday in Boedo Tango
    La Bruja - Wednesday in Villa Malcolm
    Lujos - Thursday in Lo de Celia
    Las Morochas - Saturday in Plaza Bohemia Tango
  8. jantango

jantango Active Member

correction

Lujos has relocated on Thursday to La Nacional, Alsina 1465.

There are other venues that have closed after many years. Club Glorias Argentinas was severly damaged during a storm on April 4, 2012, and will be closed at least until the end of the year. Oscar Hector held Saturday night dances there for 28 years.
  9. jantango

jantango Active Member

the milonga shuffle continues

Entre Tango y Tango (Fridays in Centro Region Leonesa) raised the entrada to 35 pesos in March and attendance began to drop. Foreigners have no problem paying 35 pesos, but locals do. Many locals stopped going.

Organizers have moved to Plaza Bohemia Tango, Alsina 2540 and Alberdi, a smaller venue, on Friday from 4:00-10:00pm. La Marshall (gay milonga) locked in the 10:00pm to 4:00pm time slot when El Beso was closed.

It will take time before these venue changes are published in the tango magazines.
  10. jantango

jantango Active Member

error in previous post

Disregard the information about Entre tango y tango moving to Plaza Bohemia. A person with bad intentions passed on this erroneous information. The organizers were aware of it. Business was as usual last night at Salon Leonesa.
  11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Would sure like to hop down for the weekend. Wish it was that easy!
  12. jantango

jantango Active Member

El Beso on Sundays relocated to Club Fulgor

If you've read this post http://tangoaddiction.wordpress.com...days-at-el-beso-in-its-new-home/#comment-1463 you already know that Susana Molina has relocated her milonga to Club Fulgor in Villa Crespo since El Beso was closed on April 17, 2012.

I didn't believe that could happen because the resident milonga of mainly couples gets going around 9:00. I was there on April 29 when we were the last ones out the door at midnight. http://tangogales.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/hasta-la-proxima-fulgor/

It appears that the El Beso crowd is going to take over the place at 10:30pm whether the club's regulars like it or not.

All milongas previously held in El Beso have new locations. The organizers had to find available and authorized locations for the same days and times as their milongas in El Beso.

Tuesday - Cachirulo - Boedo Tango
    Wednesday - La Bruja - Club Fulgor
    Thursday - Lujos - La Nacional
    Friday - La Marshall - Plaza Bohemia Tango
    Saturday - Las Morochas - Plaza Bohemia Tango
  13. sixela

sixela Active Member

From the looks of the blog entry, they don't, or at least some of them don't. But then, that's entirely understandable.
  14. jantango

jantango Active Member

The city folks from El Beso need reminding that Club Fulgor is one of the oldest neighborhood clubs in Buenos Aires with the distinction of Osvaldo Pugliese as one of its founding members. I know many dancers who don't care for the elitism of El Beso milongas and dance elsewhere for that reason.

The post describes one person's observations the day the El Beso crowd intruded on the long-running milonga that lasts until midnight. They will have to show courtesy to those couples who have kept tango as a social dance alive and well in Villa Crespo.

The sign on the building at Loyola 828 is Club Fulgor, not El Beso. Susana Molina who hosts the milonga is grateful to use the space; she has no where else to go.
  15. jantango

jantango Active Member

more milonga shuffling

It appears that the Cachirulos weren't comfortable with their move to Boedo Tango and have moved once again to La Nacional on Tuesdays from 20-2hs, according to the July issue of Diostango.

Plaza Bohemia Tango didn't work for La Marshall (gay milonga) on Friday nights. That's good news for Elsa Amodio who will extend her Friday afternoon milonga to 1:00am at Alsina 2540.

Entre tango y tango on Friday at Salon Leonesa finally bit the dust a few weeks ago and closed with a final attendance of 30 in a room for 400.
  16. jantango

jantango Active Member

17. jantango

jantango Active Member

El Beso reopened on Sunday, August 5, with Susana Molina's milonga.
  18. jantango

jantango Active Member

The year 2012 ended with two milonga closings:

JL in La Nacional on Saturdays run by Juan Lencina
    and
    El Maipo in Casa Galicia on Fridays run by Lucy and Dany.

Juan still has his Thursday milonga in Club Gricel with Daniel Rezk. He is searching for another place.

Lucy and Dany still run their Monday milonga El Maipo in La Nacional.

The magazines don't have the most current listing of milongas. Often you hear the best information through the tango grapevine, as I did about the two closings. The B.A. Tango guide is the most reliable, but it is published every three months and news updates are required between issues.

The new source is an online list www.hoy-milonga.com with iPhone application. Hector practically has a full-time job keeping it current.
  19. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I had heard that 'El Beso' only had one small exit at one end of the place to accommodate everyone if there were an emergency to leave... is that true and has it changed ? thks
  20. jantango

jantango Active Member