The milonga shuffle once again in Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jantango, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jantango

jantango Active Member

El Maipu organized by Lucy and Dany has a second night at La Nacional on Saturday from 8pm-3am. It opened March 23.

Obelisco Tango is a new venue only a half block from Lo de Celia Tango Club. The former kids' playground is changed into an adult playground. I've heard that Cachirulo and Lujos are moving there during the middle of April. No information is available in the magazines, but I'm sure they're announcing the openings at their milongas in El Beso. I won't be surprised if the entrada is 40 pesos. I'll be walking by the place on my way to Lo de Celia.
  2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Active Member

Cachirulo Saturday is moving there on April 20.
    Nothing is said about Lujos yet.
  3. jantango

jantango Active Member

Then perhaps Lujos will remain Sundays in Plaza Bohemia and Thursdays in El Beso. I heard it mentioned as a milonga moving to Obelisco Tango.

I want to see the former Cabaret Marabu (aka Maracaibo) on Maipu 365 between Corrientes and Sarmiento when it opens soon. The only other place downtown with a milonga is Confiteria Ideal.
  4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Active Member

True. I still miss Maipu 444.

Tonight is the last night of Nino Bien.
  5. jantango

jantango Active Member

The owner of Maipu 444 wanted to use the space for another purpose, so the tenants were asked to leave. That's the problem when someone rents the space for a milonga. Nino Bien had a long run in Centro Region Leonesa, at least 15 years.

I've seen dozens of milongas open and close during 14 years in Buenos Aires. Organizers have a difficult time finding a place with all the necessary details (parking, good transportation, floor, etc.). Rents are climbing and they don't find it worth the risk.
  6. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

NIÑO BIEN passes away

the description in the YT video says:

Once upon a time, there was a milonga called "Niño bien" held at the Centro Region Leonesa hall on Humberto Primo 1462 in the city of Buenos Aires.

There, the old and the young dancing elite around the turn of the 21st century gathered to excel in front of a growing foreign audience. It was the place to be, to see and to be seen on Thursday nights.

Organizer Luis Calvo opened the milonga in 1998.
    On, Thursday, April 4, 2013, the milonga Niño Bien became another casualty on the down slope of the current forty years cycle of the tango.

This is our emotional farewell at another piece of our shared history...
    Enjoy and share.

The authors version of the reasons for its passing is posted @
    http://thetangolife.wordpress.com/
  7. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Nothing like having a neutral POV, is there?

Here, the locals have to sustain the dance community, or there wouldn't be one. I can't think of any good reason why that shouldn't apply everywhere. And I've seen enough Argentinian "teachers" at work, here, to know that some are only here because they wouldn't find work at home. Your place of birth qualifies you for nothing.
    Subliminal and opendoor like this.
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

And why should neutral POV be required?

I saw the changing style of AT here in Portland, and I got out of the habit of going to AT that I had for 8 or 9 years. (more accurately the extinction of one style) I see an influx of young people who don't know how to dance, and a dj who only plays country rock, or worse, where I dance country western, and I wonder how long it will be before I begin to curtail my time there. Many of the older dancers aren't coming out anymore. There are many reasons for that, but a dance floor crowded with people who aren't very proficient (how diplomatic is that?) is one, based on comments by older dancers.

I see a parallel there.

When I work on documenting Los Angeles dance and music related to West Coast swing, I do my level best to present things without bias.
    When I write that AT in Portland, or CW at Bushwhackers, has changed / is changing, that is of course my opinion based on my experience dancing AT and CW here for X years. Do I really need to write "in my opinion," or be required to present the "other side?"
    My answer is, no

Oh, and I am convinced that anyone who wants to continue teaching is required to teach what the students want to learn, regardless of country of origin.
  9. jantango

jantango Active Member

That's why tango as a social dance isn't taught much.

And the opening of Obelisco Tango is announced for April 19 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Obelisco-Tango/320809701355373
  10. jantango

jantango Active Member

A lot has been written about the closing of Nino Bien after 15 years in Centro Region Leonesa, but what hasn't been announced is Nino Bien moving to Obelisco Tango.

The most reliable source for milongas (and even practicas) in Buenos Aires is www.hoy-milonga.com which gives a day by day listing for one week only -- things change quickly. Hector, who created the site, does his best to keep up with all the changes and openings. Click the milonga name for address, map, phone numbers, organizers, etc.
  11. JohnEm

JohnEm Member

Yes, especially if the teaching is for commercial reasons.
    That's equally true in Buenos Aires as it is Worldwide.

What the dance needs (as opposed to what teacher needs)
    are people who teach social dance for the pleasure of the dance,
    not for the satisfaction of teaching nor the imperative of earning a living.
    jantango likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

we are blessed with a couple who teaches tango for this reason alone.. they are universally loved in our community
    sixela likes this.
  13. jantango

jantango Active Member

It was rumored that Luis Calvo would reopen his Nino Bien milonga, first in Obelisco Tango, and then in Salon Leonesa. That's what we heard through the tango grapevine. That will never happen.

On August 1, Roberto Zuccarino opened Milonga de los Zucca in Centro Region Leonesa. I discovered this video today and that he is the organizer.

Zuccarino is the producer of Tango y nada mas, the show that claims to bring "tango from the dance halls of Buenos Aires to the stage for the first time."