The Pretzel and other *simple* country dances

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by 59FordGalaxie, Mar 23, 2004.

1. 59FordGalaxie

59FordGalaxie New Member

ok, im dating a girl who can dance like crazy and i cant dance for crap, i used to be able to line dance because my aunt and uncle taught me but as i got older i stopped doing it and forgot how, and i hate to bother them to teach me, so im wondering if you could post the basic steps to the pretzel or any other simple dances i could do with my girl at prom, obviosuly ive seen the pretzel before so i know what it looks like, i just have a time remembering what to do after my girl shows me the steps, i figure if i see them in words itll help as i can remember things like that alot easier

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Welcome, 59FordGalaxie. :D

I don't know of a country dance called the pretzel, but I'll google. And country dances aren't all that simple, if you ask me. :wink:
  3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Welcome 59FordGalaxie . . .

The dance is the "aggie" swing and the pretzel is what is done with the arms during a particular part of theat dance.

It would nearly impossible to put down in words . . .

You know, 59FG, I bet your Aunt and Uncle would be more than delighted to show you a step or two again. Ask them????

Vince
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, Vince. I had a feeling it was an arm thing. I've done pretzel-y things in a bunch of non-country dances. :wink: Aggie swing, huh? Hmm. Maybe I'll google that, since you cheated me out of the pleasure of googling pretzel. Just kidding. :wink: :lol:
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The Pretzel is a move done in East Coast Swing and also in Salsa.

Here is a web page where you can download a video clip of the Pretzel.
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df 59FordGalaxie!! Since Spitfire alreday has provided a video clip of the pretzel move, a suggestion from me. Have you considered doing some contra dancing. You don't need to know anything and if you go at the beginning of a session simple moves are done and explained. That would definitely get you some dancing experience that I feel translates fairly well in the line/country type of dancing arena.,
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

The pretzel can be done in many other dances, the aggie swing and ECS being the typical C&W dances to do it in . . . however, the versions that I've tried and the versions of the pretzel that I seen seen done are about three to four times longer and more involved than what is shown in the video clip . . . but that clip is an excellent starter . . .
  8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Three to four times longer? I'd like to see that.