the quantal shift - good to great and fast?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elisedance, Jan 1, 2009.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think that does make sense WJD. For all of us there is a ballance between left and right (according to the above terminology) thinkining. For those of us who do a lot of analytical work daily we have to work on developing faith in our intuition while those that rely on right breinedness run the danger of being able to dance but not really knowing why (and hence dancepro's need to spend time learning steps in order to teach). Thus perhaps its fair to say that 'maximum' and fastest development depends on a combination of on our natures (inheritance), our lives, our skills in other areas and, most important, our openness to new ideas. Which is also true of course for virtualy every other thing we try to do :)

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I'm actually having an interesting experience in "right-brain" learning now. After 6 years of smooth, I have started learning standard. So far, my pro has been teaching me almost exclusively by having me follow. I don't know what the figures are or where one begins or ends. I can do a heel pull (my pro won't let me use the term "heel t*urn" because the turn is not my job and he doesn't even want me thinking of it), but the only instruction I was given was "pull your heels together and wait." I've tried to figure outwhat I'm doing when I do it--where my weight is when, etc.--and I can't figure it out. But it works fine, feels good to both of us, and has me wondering, "what's all the angst people have about this move?"

The thing is, though, that I don't think I could have learned this way from the beginning. The instruction "wait" to a follower is actually a very complex one, involving both physical things like where the weight is distributed and and a mental and physical readiness to respond with a dance step. It's only because I already have a somewhat educated body that I can "wait" in a way that contributes to the dance.

I'm sure I can learn to dance standard with my pro this way. But if I were to want to do standard socially, it makes me worried. It's fine with a leader who actually leads each weight change clearly. But with less skilled leaders, I think it often helps to be able to make an educated guess about what figure you're dancing in case the lead falters during the figure. At some point, I'll probably ask him to break down each step, just so I know them intellectually as well.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

WG: I think my new resolution is - 'it doesn't matter if the dance stops'. Its more important that we are doing it in a way that both of us get something out of it. In order to relax into the follow I have to accept that sometimes I am simply not going to do so. If I get to the point of not being afraid to make a mistake I strongly suspect that they will become very rare indeed.

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

ed, I do a lot of social dancing with a wide variety of partners, so I've gotten very used to the fact that miscommunication is going to happen. And I think of it as miscommunication, rather than a mistake.

5. Josh

Josh Active Member

Actually the beauty of the heel turn is that you don't even have to pull your heels together, he also does that for you... talk about an easy job you have!!! .... :cool: :car:

6. liz

liz New Member

The book -The power of Now, is great to help with all these concepts. Pilates helped with my breathing and relaxation.
    I am also very artistic. Painting and drawing are my other great loves.

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Have you tried gyrotonics? Different machines (circular motions rather than linear), but similar concepts. I have only done it 3x so far, but it is definitely training me in being aware of what muscles are firing up, and learning to subdue the ones I shouldn't be using. It opens up my body completely and I also get the best stretching out of it than anything else I've tried. The guy who I train with is a professional ballet dancer and boy, he has my weak areas pegged and ready to be worked on. I am quite thrilled to have found this.

Interesting thread....keep all the interesting talk coming!

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

gyrotronics? have to look out for that MBQ, sounds an interesting way to exercise :)

9. mamboqueen

It is quite awesome. Sam does it, too. Not too easy to find a place that has all of the equipment - it is pricey stuff, and can only be bought here by people who are certified in teaching it.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i worship at the altar of gyro...:cool:

i have big plans to use it this year to help facilitate quantum shifts galore. :)

11. QPO

QPO New Member

that depends on the Lead. My partner does not do that yet and I have to think about it, and do it myself. When he is more confident with his leads I am sure what you say will happen.

12. mamboqueen

I would not have known just how tight my hip flexors are (especially the left one *oy*) if not for this. I am planning on doing splits in 6 monhts! On both sides! Hamstrings are already freeing up a bit. But for me, it's something I have to work on every day in between sessions...and sessions are pricey. I need another job. Or a sugar daddy. Or better yet, the lottery. :)

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yay! happy for ya!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hope that helps a bit. :cool:

14. mamboqueen

LMAO - if I don't have enough $$$$ for the gyro training, I'll have to settle for the kind you can eat :).

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that would be counter-productive. *grin*

16. mamboqueen

nah...I'm burning lots of calories these days.

FYI - got the book Dance Kinesiology - did I mention that to you? I think you'd like it. Very useful in understanding the body. Well, for someone like me who knows very little about the body...muscles, bones, body types, limitations, etc. Good stuff.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

will look into it, MQ!

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

me too MBQ. Always need some more insight into how the body really works...

19. dancepro

dancepro New Member

We did interesting things as well to break up the normal practice.

1) I would have the assignment to dance in different shoes. Out doors shoes as well as indoors shoes. Dancing on the dirt parking lot, making it look normal, was a interesting exercise.
    2) Once a week my partner danced as the lady (of cause he has a lady's name) and I danced as the man (and had a male name). We still use these names today when teaching.
    3) Many times a week we would dance foxtrot to Rumba and Tango to Cha-cha and other combinations. There were both standard teachers as well as latin teachers in the studio so this was often a necessity.
    4) We developed many different kinds of practice holds; each hold accomplishing a different aspect.
    5) Dancing with the eyes closed was also a weekly event. Sometime his eyes were closed and sometimes mine......of course both of never closed their eyes at the same time....
    6) We had stamina practice once a week and competition practice once a week.
    7) We sometimes invited a "shouter". A person that would call out what we were to think about.
    8) Sometime the "shouter" would become a obstacle that we were to avoid.

I am sure everybody can come up with one thing to do that breaks up the routine. Have fun exploring.

Dancepro

20. dancepro

dancepro New Member

Of course a left brained can be successful, Richard and Janet Gleave are a prime example of that. I think they were 8 times world champions. I am sure there are many other examples ....I just can't think of any right now.

I think it is more that the couples need to be reminded of this fact (I think they all know this fact). They often get so into feeling good and entertaining themselves, that they forget to keep the choreography and technique readable to the judge.

I am glad I understood you right. It is really the same in every business. Two people that seem to have the same talent and ability, but one succeeds and one falls behind. This subject has fascinated me since the early 90's when I first started studying human potential. I can totally understand you wanting to be in the first group. I think many people share your thoughts on that account.

I do tend to keep going and going.
    Thank you, for making me feel that my rambling are being heard and appreciated. I will just write my opinion and I am sure everybody is going to make up their own mind on what they think:).

Dancepro