The Spaghetti Sauce Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

How else are you supposed to get that nice dark color, and the deep flavor?
  2. Peaches

Mushrooms?!?! In pasta sauce?!?!
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

exactly. well... truth be told, there's a difference between "browning" and "burning"... but i think a bit of that carbonization (is that a real word???) from the burn is a nice effect. i don't generally go quite that far, tho.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, i know, not my thing either. not with tomatoes, anyway. but it is very common...
  5. Peaches

Oh no, Dad's get's burned. There's the ritual of scraping up the burned bits, pouring some hot water on, and scraping some more...then stirring it into the sauce.

One variation they've done, but not much...add roasted red pepper puree (and balsamic, I think) to the sauce. It doesn't work well if you're making a meat sauce (or cooking meatballs in it), but if you're doing a straight-up vegetarian sauce it's a nice change.
  6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

HP Sauce adds all those things and more...
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I like mushrooms in everuything. :)

Canned mushrooms don't hold a cnadle to fresh, but I'm lazy, and used to only go grocery shopping once a month or so, so didn't buy a lot of fresh stuff. I tend to go once a week now, due to changes in diet (can't exactly stock up on milk, eggs or cottage cheese), but the canned mushrooms rather than fresh are still a habit.
  8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, cooking and eating strictly for one makes it harder to buy fresh ingredients. Most of it will spoil before I can get to it.

As I was getting kicked out of the family (ie, during the divorce), I got a number of family recipes from my in-laws. I've posted my father-in-law's spaghetti sauce recipe at http://members.aol.com/dwise1/recipes/spaghetti_sauce.html. It uses ground beef, chopped onions, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomatoes, olive oil, red wine, anise, italian seasonings, bay leaves, and Parmesan cheese. We blend everything which gives it a smooth consistency.

At Sunday dinners, regardless of what they had fixed for everybody, the kids always wanted spaghetti. And when I made it the first time (unblended and not quite as thick as it should have been, I took some over to my "dance buddy". Even though she's a bit anorexic and can't eat a complete meal, she went back for seconds.

I haven't tried it yet with this recipe, but when I'd use the store-bought sauce from jars I would sometimes add some canned mushrooms.
  9. tj

tj New Member

While a tomato based sauce is probably my fav, I'm surprised no one has mentioned pesto yet, especially since it's pretty easy to make.

Fresh herbs (frozen will work), garlic (cook it if raw is too harsh for you), pine nuts (walnuts work, too), parm, olive oil. Chop in a blender and slowly add the oil. Very easy/shmeezy.
  10. Peaches

Ahhh, yes. Love pesto. DH had a couple of basil plants this summer that grew crazy well. We couldn't make enough pesto to even begin to put a dent in it. We currently have to big containers of basil leaves all frozen.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not fan of pesto. not fan of basil paired with pasta, for the most part. i mean, i'll eat it & sometimes enjoy it, but won't make or order it...
  12. tj

tj New Member

Talking about tomato based sauces - the big major supermarket brands (Prego, Ragu) are entirely too sweet, IMHO. I like the tomato paste/Hunt's No Sugar Added ideas. I used to use Francesco Rinaldi, but don't think it's sold in GA. So as a result have been trying out canned/diced tomatoes.
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, at least here in chicagoland, it seems like hunt's is the only no sugar added sauce that any of the local grocery stores sell. Will look for the Francesco Rinaldi too.

That being said, the Hunts is not exactly my idea of a great sauce. :) With steps I take with it though, turns out pretty good.
  14. Peaches

I'm a jarred sauce snob. I use it an like it, but will only use Bertolli (sp?), Barilla, or Classico.
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think i'll claim dibs as the ultimate jarred sauce snob... i just don't use it.:cool:

actually, if i'm ever tempted to grab something off the shelf for a quick shortcut as a base, it would be excactly the brands you mentioned, peach.
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Peaches, if you're talking about using it straight hte way it is, I absolutely agree that jarred sauce is better than anything out of a can, and enough better to be worth the exrtra cost (often 3-4 times as much). But if you're going to work with it and add a bunch of stuff as I described anwyay, i'd rather save the money and go with a can. :) Esp so I can get the no sugar added stuff.

But yes, straight out of container, jarred sauce, esp the good brands, such as those you listed, are far superior to can.
  17. Peaches

Just to lazy, and devoid of actual cooking skills, and dislike making my own food (by the time it's ready I don't want it any more)...so we always have a jar or so on hand.

I use the jar sauce and add crpa to it for lasagna sauce.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

dang. now i'm officially hungry for spaghetti! luck for me i've got some sauce leftover at home (looking at watch...) :)

that sauce is an italian variation: same as my greek version, but with nutmeg instead of the the cumin & cinnamon, and with both milk & parm added.

gonnahafta have some leftovers this evenin'...
  19. Peaches

20. tj

tj New Member

Healthier than heavy cream. :wink: