The Spaghetti Sauce Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Heavy cream?!?! In pasta sauce?!?! With tomatoes?!?!

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah... milk goes into lots of sauces. actually, that sauce is my quick-version of a much lengthier bolognese sauce that has carrots, celery & onions with the base, then white wine, then milk, then nutmeg for a 3-hr simmer. mmm...

the milk balances the acidity of the wine, in that scenario.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

omg, yah! where've you BEEN, girl! lol...

sauce rosa... pink vodka sauce... mmmm...

4. Peaches

Where I've been is in a family that likes straight-up tomato-based sauces, with or without meat.

No milk, no cheese, no wine. No pesto, no alfredo.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

darlin', we so have to spend a weekend cooking together... you do the desserts... i'll do spaghetti, quesadillas... and smoothies.

(and not one straight red sauce... ;))

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Poor deprived peaches.

7. Peaches

Hey, if you don't know you're missing it, it doesn't bother you.

Sam--am I goin' up, or are you comin' down? I'm soooo all over group bulk cooking weekends.

8. tj

tj New Member

Yeah, I'm a relatively recent convert to pink sauces. They're really rich, however, so maybe only once every several months, lol. One of the local Italian restaurants does this killer Chicken Portobello where they make a sauce from Marsala and Cream. Mix it with a little of their pasta + red sauce, and it's great. Makes my mouth water...

Must... Practice... Moderation... :nope: :rolleyes:

9. Peaches

Sorry...still get hung up on the cream + tomato thing. I've got issues with mixing creamy things with watery things. (Although to be fair, I recently tried some vodka sauce--Bertolli--and liked it.)

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Regarding the store-bought sauce in jars, I started out that way but soon (well, not too soon) ran into the problem mentioned in the other thread on freezing big batches. I just did not use the sauce often enough. I got about half-way through the jar, then didn't have occasion to cook pasta for a while. Next time I looked in the jar, I was surprised to find that they had put a whole mushroom in it. Then I realized that they hadn't, but rather it had grown in there on its own.

If I were to go that route again, I would empty the sauce into smaller containers and use it as I do my home-made.

11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

My Southern Italian grandparents sometimes called it gravy, too.
    It's an Italian thing.

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I wonder how that got started. "Sauce" is closer to the Italian word "salsa" than "gravy."

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

FWIW, Wikipedia's article on gravy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy) states that gravy is a type of sauce and has this entry:
    Might be interesting to see all the Italian words relating to "sauce" and "gravy", as well as what gravy would be in Italy.

14. tj

tj New Member

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Every Italian-American I know (which would be a lot, since I'm from Philly) calls spaghetti sauce, "gravy." That's what it's called, tomatoes and all. Not wrong, just a cultural difference. Thanks for googling, D. :cool:

16. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Sam,

For Spaghetti.

1. Well-browned mix of ground meat--sauteed in garlic.
    2. Canned or fresh tomatoes, can of tomato paste, a jigger of Amaretto.
    3. Herbs: Anise seed(crush roughly) and a few basil leaves. Use more if fresh. If dried, crushed will deliver more flavor and aroma--so use less.
    4. Mix in the ground meat when starting to boil. Add coarsely chopped Italian parsley.
    5. Sprinkle finely chopped FRESH Italian parsley before serving.
    6. Top with Champagne or Portabella mushrooms optional (sauteed separately in butter, garlic, and Amaretto).

I usually boil the pasta, and then lightly broil it in the oven to lightly brown, and then top with the sauce when serving.

Serve with favorite wine.

m

17. Peaches

Well, that would explain it...him being Italian and all that.

18. Peaches

Hmmm... You can't end up married to someone who does TONS of shipping on a daily basis without absorbing some ideas...

Wouldn't it be interesting if we all made batches of our sauce and froze it in small containers and then shipped it to each other... Cooler case, ice pack, frozen to start with, and next day shipping should do the trick!

Oy...too much time listening to DH and his days, lol.

19. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Always enjoy catching his "Good Eats" programs. Have just started viewing this one.

I had already learned decades ago that the French had learned cooking from the Italians.

And in the Pilgram Thanksgiving scene, why is the Indian maiden using the Lakota word for "bison"? (assuming that "Dancing with Wolves" was linguistically accurate)

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

verrry nice. amaretto is a new twist for me, but right up my alley... and i like using anise or fennel seeds in meat sauces. i just generally appreciate sweet spices & such with meats.

i intend on trying this recipe out. looks great!