The Spaghetti Sauce Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Sep 24, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

tiny pasta, such as pastina, boiled in chicken broth with butter & parm added is amazing comfy food... it's not drained... just soaks up the broth. wow.
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...love that...kind of a quick-and-dirty version of risotto.
  3. pr

pr New Member

This thread should be moved to the salsa section... :rolleyes:
  4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

5. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Oh, yes! Pastina! Grandma used to make that for me when I was little!
    Nostalgia. Must make.
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

exactly!
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i usually keep pastina on hand to add to homemade chicken soup, too... mmmm.
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

okay... here's one i haven't made for a bit... basically nursery fare, but really nice: elbow macaroni w/ cottage cheese, butter, parm, and black pepper. sliced up hot dogs mixed in option. just warm in the pan til the curds melt...
  9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK, you guys have me seriously considering again learning to cook. I mean the 30-minute-meal stuff. What with my schedule every night (rush home, flash something, make lunch, rush off to dance class), I haven't had much room for experimenting.

And despite the Talmudic teaching of "the more pasta the more life" (hey! I'm sure I saw it somewhere!), pasta doesn't always seem that satisfying. I apologize for the heresy.
  10. Peaches

My first reaction to macaroni with cottage cheese was *GACK!!!!* but then I started thinking about this.

(Is it wrong that we're hijacking your pasta sauce thread to talk about pasta??? Oh well, you started it. :D)

My grandmother used to make "buttons and bows" for my dad and his sibs. Bowtie pasta cooked and drained, mixed with butter, farmer cheese, salt and pepper. Probably very similar. Alas, I've never had this, but I've been hearing about it my whole life. One of these days.
  11. Peaches

Meh... I could eat pasta for dinner every day, it's probably my favorite food. To each their own.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

al buro :)
  13. Peaches

Which is much better than al burro.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not wrong! pasta goes with sauce, after all... :)
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, twas my first reaction as well when i saw a friend of mine mix this up for her kids years ago. i think i was a teenager when she introduced it to me... she was much older, with three kids, and came from a very anglo background as compared to my un-anglo traditions.

my enjoyment of instant coffee came from that association, as well as an appreciatin of sweet mini gherkins & cream cheese on crackers. i found that unbelievable exotic. lol
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ever added truffles to your sauces?
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Unless you're into donkey shows.
  18. Peaches

Not with pasta...
  19. tj

tj New Member

Last night I tried something different. Took a can of diced tomatoes and made a sauce from it. It was still too chunky after I initially cooked it (with added olive oil, garlic, oregano, and onion), so I put it in the blender.

The initial result looked a bit watery and less red than what I was expecting. But the flavor seemed more intense (and admittedly a bit too acidic) than what I'll normally get from a jar.

The redness came back once it cooled. The initial state - it was like super intense tomato water when it first came out of the blender.
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

teedge, add a bit of sugar next time to balance the acid. makes a world of difference.

another great thing to do with canned tomatoes is to add a very generous dollop of butter (or a whole stick if you use a couple cans of tomatoes) and simmer it for at least 45 minutes with a whole peeled onion. add a dash of sugar & some S&P... take out the onion... it's amazing. you don't even need the pasta. this is something fasc would definitely eat right outa the pan. ;)

well, i do, anyway...:rolleyes: