The Spaghetti Sauce Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Sep 24, 2007.

1. tj

tj New Member

Yes, although I failed to mention it, I did do just that to balance it out. What was nice is that I got to add what I felt was the right amount, as opposed to the commerical jarred stuff which always tastes too sweet for me.

That sounds really good!

On a side note - for whatever reason, I didn't need any salt (although fresh ground pepper was welcome). Is salt added to parmagian (sp) cheese? Maybe that's why?

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, parm can be salty.

dang, this is making me hungry. i know what i'm making for supper tonite... :)

3. tj

tj New Member

We're all expecting a full report! ;)

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

No, no, every chemistry student knows that sugar doesn't balance out acid. You need something alkaline to balance it out. Milk?

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no chemistry student, i. ;)

maybe the added sugar gives an illusion of less acidity?

i do know when i make bolognese with white wine, i add an equal amount of milk afterwards to balance that acid out.

6. tj

tj New Member

Hmm, if we're playing that game... ;) Doesn't milk have lactic acid in it? Do we know that it's alkaline? (and how is it again, pH > 7 => alkaline and <7 => acid? I've forgotten.)

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Dash of baking soda. Believe it was dentist who suggested that when we were discussing tomato sauce.

8. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Oh my, how did I miss this thread??

Ok ok, my dad, who learned from my grandma, likes to simmer a pork neck in his tomato sauce all day to bring out the flavor. It'll be a meatless sauces, aside from the pork. He will add homemade meatballs, nothing short the size of a softball to the sauce too, to bring everything together.

In Milwaukee they used to have a sauce contest at Festa Italiana, one of the many ethnic festivals in the city. My Grandma won the last contest they ever did and received the "silver spoon". She said she's going to pass it down to me because I'm the cook in the family. :)

Mind you, my Grandma comes from an Armenian background, but my Grandpa was Italian so I'm sure she learned from his relatives. My Nonno and Nonna, from my mom's side, well they have their own recipes too of course, but they're more gravy type people, gravy as in stuff for polenta.

Oh but my Nonno loves making pesto every year with fresh basil from his garden. He taught me how to make it as well, I LOVE it with whole wheat pasta. Yum!

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Recipes? (Or guidelines, at least?)

10. lcdancesport

I'll have to ask my dad or grandma, since I haven't made the sauce yet myself. I do know it tends to be a little on the sweeter side.

I'd be happy to share it though.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Are you single? :raisebro:

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hey! I aske dher first, get in line! ;)

BUt man, that sure sounds good. Now I'm hungry again.

14. lcdancesport

I'll be getting the recipe from my dad this weekend, if anyone has the patience to actually make it!

I think we need to have a pot luck spaghetti sauce dance. :p I'll bring the rigatoni!

15. lcdancesport

I think you need to hop over to the flirting thread. :p

16. lcdancesport

Me too, what are you going to be making, I'll be there at 8, I'll bring the vino. :p

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I have a great recipe for a french stew, I'll have to start the crock pot now though. :)

18. ericajones80

ericajones80 New Member

my Aunt puts mustard seed into her sauce...I don't know how common that it but her sauce is delicious!

19. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

My grandmother's recipe for tomato/meat sauce

I have a recipe from my grandmother that I love. In fact I just made a batch of the sauce a few weeks ago, and am happy to say my freezer is now full of beautiful containers of the sauce! After my grandfather died, she found herself an Italian boyfriend, so that's where she got the recipe! :)

I don't have the recipe in front of me for exact proportions, but it's something like....

take 1-2 Italian sausages (1 hot/1 sweet...I only use sweet though), one boneless pork chop (fat trimmed off), a piece of top of the round steak (fat trimmed off) and some chicken wings (which I always forego), and brown in a large saucepot w/some olive oil. Then set aside.

Then you put in the pan I think 1 carrot diced, 1 red pepper diced, 1 onion diced and a clove of chopped garlic. Making sure there's still some oil in the pan, you saute. Then you add...gosh.... maybe 4 large cans of plum tomatoes, 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes, and maybe 6 small jars of tomato paste. 6 cups of water maybe?? I also throw in some red wine. Add fresh oregano, italian parsley, fresh basil. Throw all the meat back in. Add some salt, pepper, sugar. Cook on stovetop on low for 7 hours. What will happen with the meat is it will breakdown into small pieces and eventually become part of a real "meat sauce". Any large pieces of meat that remain (like the entire sausage in particular), you can cut up and reincorporate into sauce.

In meantime, you then make meatballs. I use 1-3 ratio of ground veal to ground beef....maybe 2 lbs meat in total?? 1 piece of white bread shredded. 1 cup(?) of freshly made white breadcrumbs. 1 egg. 1 clove garlic chopped. 1/2 cup or so of the sauce you have cooking on the stove. Put it all in a mixing bowl. I then mix it all up by hand, and then SOFTLY roll into meatballs, taking care not to compress the meat too hard. I then carefully drop the balls into the sauce, where they will stay until the entire 7 hours or so are up. I also make sure to NOT stir the sauce for at least 30 minutes after I put the balls in, to ensure they don't fall apart and have had enough time to firm up a bit.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Think I need to get away from this thread. it's making me very hungry. ;)

Don't know about anyone else, but I find that adding a little BBQ sauce is quite good.