The Spaghetti Sauce Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh no, they'll be fine. Freeze them really well, packed in some frozen sauce, packed in a cooler box with ice packs inside of a cardboard box packed with peanuts...overnighted. No problem at all.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

awesome!

3. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I like making spagetti sauce from fresh tomatos. :D

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! This is the best thread evah! Yummers.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i shouldn't have re-read it... pretty sure I know what's on the menu this evenng, now...

6. pygmalion

When this thread was going strong, I was more or less absent from DF. I missed most of the grooviness.Oh my goodness. Cumin. Cinnamon. Allspice. So many things to try.

Besides, if you still have a house full of folks tonight, pasta with sauce or gravy (whatever you call it) would be absolutely perfect for feeding a crowd. Everybody has to like spaghetti. That's a rule. ;)

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And it's cheap!

8. pygmalion

And ftr, my spaghetti sauce comes in one of two incarnations:

1) Buy a bottle and doctor it up (kinda like etp's recipe, only without wine, which I am now obliged to try)Saute chopped veg (heavy on the onions, sweet peppers if I'm in the mood, a bit of celery, some chopped carrot, fresh garlic, etc.) Add meat to brown (usually mixture of ground beef and sliced sweet Italian sausage) Cook meat until done. Add bottled sauce and a bay leaf or two (I like Bertolli sauce) Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Correct seasonings.

2) Similar to above, only using a combination of diced, very ripe roma tomatoes, canned tomato sauce and canned tomato paste, with addition of a pinch or two of sugar. I saute the veg first until they are very, very brown and the onion is translucent. Then add the tomato, bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer for a long time. Brown the meat in a separate pan. Drain some of the fat (but not all. What's the point, if there's NO fat? lol) Add to tomato sauce. Simmer for another long time.

I haven't found a satisfactory way to make sauce exclusively in a crock pot, because you really need that browning time (I will definitely try the burning method of flavor enhancement lol) but I will sometimes do the browning/sauteing part, then put the sauce in a crock pot on low (for a billion hours) to let it finish cooking. (If making sauce in the crock pot, I go heavier on the tomato paste and lighter on the fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce, to reduce the amount of liquid. On the stove top, I do the opposite.)

General rules:

Don't like using just fresh tomatoes -- depending on the tomatoes and degree of ripeness, they can make sauce way too acidic. But adding in a bit of fresh tomato adds a bit of chunkiness to the texture, which I like.

Not a fan of pesto. Period.

Pasta must be al dente. I cook in plain, unsalted, unbuttered water, but I am open to experimentation.

Surprised that very little mention was made, in this thread, of cream-based sauces. Not a big fan of those either, but I certainly would have enjoyed the read. :)

Never tried bbq sauce, but shall.

Not a big fan of mushrooms in anything, but I can definitely cast a vote with the haters. The texture is ... yucky in a hard to describe kinda way.

Have tried milk a few times and was very pleasantly surprised. It doesn't make the sauce creamy atall. Just a bit ...sweeter? Thicker? Something. Milk does add a bit of je ne sais quoi, and I like it.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

bingo

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I find without exception that pasta boiled in unsalted water provides a taste experience that ranges from "make do" to "utterly ruined". Unsalted pasta water makes pasta taste flat...like boiled cardboard. Even if the sauce is great, the pasta makes for the bulk of the dish & needs some respect. :)

Used to make creamy pasta dishes a lot when I was in my 20s -- I found them novel and fun to make. A fave back then:

Sautee garlic, sliced fresh mushrooms and anchovies in butter and/or olive oil. Add sliced brie, rind & all, and S&P. When melted, stir in chopped fresh parsley and toss with pasta.

Less acidic. Adding some good parm to the sauce toward the end of cooking will do the same -- adds a nice undertone to the sauce.

11. pygmalion

Will try. I became responsible for cooking for my big old family when I was thirteen -- right about the same time both PUs were struggling with uncontrolled high blood pressure. So I tend to salt at the table, not the pot, whenever possible. Just habit, and we all know that habits are made to be broken. ;)

Anchovies? Ye gods!!!! But what the heck. Ya never know. :cool:

12. pygmalion

Cheap and easy = j_alex's meatballs for a crowd recipe. Bottled sauce. Frozen meatballs. Simmer forever. Done. Just sayin.

13. pygmalion

Does anybody know what the parm rind is supposed to do? I've tried quite a few recipes that call for putting the parmesan rind in the sauce for flavoring and (of course) removing it before the dish is served. What's that step for? Anybody?

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

If you use white table salt, that's certainly wise. But I don't...

It melts in the sauce, you'd never know. I think I used to use anchovy paste from a tube.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Just pop it in the sauce while it's simmering. My grocery store sells these in their cheese case very cheaply -- I have a container of them right now. :)

Thanks for the reminder...I'm making my tomato/butter/onion sauce for a crowd tonight and will add a few rinds to it.

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Mum's sauce recipe...

Brown onions. Add bacon and fry that. Add mince and brown that too.
    Add canned mushrooms (I'm sure you could use fresh ones, but mum wasn't so up for all the slicing and stuff) and a 300ml tin of tomato soup. Simmer for half a hour or so.

It's delicious, though probably a little salty for me now (I've found that bacon in recipies is an instant too-much-salt thing)

17. pygmalion

What kind of mince?

18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

FAGGOTS:Ye Olde Englishe Meateballes

50g butter
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
    12 sage leaves, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon ground mace
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    500g minced pork belly
    100g minced bacon
    4 lamb's kidneys, rinsed, skinned,
    cored and finely but roughly chopped
    150g pork or lamb's liver, finely but roughly chopped
    1 level tablespoon flaked sea salt
    (½ tablespoon if using fine salt)
    100g coarse white breadcrumbs,
    made from stale bread
    100ml whole milk
    200g beef caul

For the gravy:
    2 large onions, finely sliced
    1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons malt vinegar
    1½ level tablespoons plain flour
    500ml good dark beef stock, or a can of consommé mixed with water
    flaked sea salt and black pepper
    To serve:
    good mash
    cooked frozen peas
    English mustard
    Melt 30g of the butter in a frying pan and in it sweat the onion with the thyme, sage and spices over a medium–low heat for about 15 minutes, or until very soft. Add the mixture to the meats and salt in a big bowl, and mix all together well, then add the breadcrumbs and milk. Get your hands in there and squish the mixture through them until it is really well combined. Take a little of the raw mixture and fry it to see how it tastes; correct the seasoning accordingly.
    Tenderly open up the caul and hold it up to the light to see where any holes might be (to avoid when assembling the faggots), then spread it out on the work surface. Take an open fistful of the mixture and place it on the caul so that you can cut a sheet around it to the size of two-thirds of a piece of A5 paper. Fold the caul over the top of the meats as if you were wrapping up treasured possessions in a handkerchief. All the corners should overlap and the meats be tightly surrounded. Turn the faggot over. Repeat until all are done.
    Heat some more butter in a frying pan over a medium–high heat and put the faggots in, fold-side down. Briskly fry until brown, taking care not to burn them. Turn over and gently fry on the other side. They should not open, but if they do, place a plate over the top of the batch to secure the folds. Repeat until all are good and brown. Transfer them to a board.
    In the same frying pan, fry the onions in the leftover faggot fat over a medium–low heat for 30 minutes or so until richly coloured. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160C fan/180°C/Gas 4. Add the brown sugar and malt vinegar to the frying pan and cook until the vinegar has evaporated completely. Then sprinkle in the flour and cook gently, stirring, for a further minute or so. The flour must not burn. Start adding the beef stock or canned consommé, bit by bit, stirring constantly. Taste for seasoning, remembering that the faggots are highly seasoned.
    Place the faggots in a good-sized, shallow casserole and cover with the gravy, then the lid. Bake gently for 1½ hours. For the last 20 minutes, remove the lid

19. pygmalion

What is caul? A quick google says that it's some sort of animal fat thingie?

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

you dont wanna know...;)