The stylistic mixing of Smooth & Standard -- current trend

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Dec 2, 2012.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

FWIW, if David Hamilton feels comfortable calling Slawek "one of the best American Smooth boys that has ever danced this style," I'd trust his opinion.

smidra86 likes this.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Maybe it could be called "The New Smooth" style. Clearly, there are those who like it, and it's thriving.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

IME...no. But I've put a sharp enough point on what I had to say, myself. Am still curious to hear more from teaching & judging pros.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think, like every style, like every political leaning, the thing wobbles from one direction to another depending upon who is currently in the field....Donna Edelstien once described her process as a matter of choosing between Steak or Lobster...that it was not a matter of which was better or worse, but rather, a matter of what one had a taste for on that particular night...I sort of like the analogy...and I very much like her

5. dlliba10

I don't think I could choose between steak and lobster. Too much yummy both ways.

NonieS likes this.
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Good analogy, I think it applies.

7. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I'd say there is just as much a "New Standard" as a "New Smooth," although the timelines may be different. The Standard of today certainly doesn't look like it did in the past. Dance styles change, evolve, trend, etc.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yes, tis true indeed, that.

9. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

Re DJs versus tails, there are certainly men who dance Standard in DJs in the UK and Europe, but in competition I would say that the majority still wear tails. I don't have strong feelings on the matter tbh. I would however, much, much rather see a man in a well-fitting, well tailored DJ than badly fitting tails that they've got on the cheap. Sadly there are too many of the latter around.

I've very little knowledge of Smooth so I can't really comment on the "Standardisation" of Smooth, other than to say I think that it would be a shame. One of the great things about dancing for me is that we have so many distinctive styles - I would hate to see them merge into an amorphous mass. Evolution is different and I'd see that as a good thing, but I really don't have enough knowledge to know if that's what's going on here.

10. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I like this a lot too! I was in no way trying to say that I don't like Slawek and Marzena or that I don't find them to be extremely talented. Simply commenting that I find there are others who draw me in emotionally as a spectator.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Actually shadow turning to the left is an entirely different position than shadow turning to the right. The hold you describe is close to shadow turning to the left. And I would call it more or less a promenade position for you. Promenade turning right is nothing of the sort close to a standard hold.

12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

working on getting the wife to let me dance with marzena LOL

and you wont meet an nicer couple !!!

13. Mr 4 styles

that is the beauty of the american styles right now everyone is "new" and different no two couples in the top seven either style are alike its a feast to the eyes enjoy!!!

14. Mr 4 styles

was hitting the wall during HIIT for arms this morning . kept reciting this to my self !!! thanks Larinda!!!

15. dlliba10

That would explain the difficulty of my Open Rights in Viennese ...

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

have always been of a mind that puking is not an exception...not much can be done about the fainting or dying....

dlliba10 likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

just has a"surf and turf" roll at a innovative asian restaurant spicy lobster roll with slice of medium well filet on top and dipping sauces No choosing here ill take BOTH!! LOL

dlliba10 likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

lol both are avoidable however, well at least theoretically up to a point LOL

19. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I don't know if a spectator's emotional reaction is necessarily a good criteria for labeling something "Smooth" or not. I feel more of an emotional reaction too, and feel more of a connection between, some Standard couples - even beyond some Smooth couples... does that make their dancing more "Smooth"? I don't think so; it just variation in the expression of the dance.

20. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I think Travis and Jaimee Tuft have a good balance of closed and open in their smooth and tend to stick close to the "smooth" style.