The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by ThisIsNotMe, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Here in the Fingerlakes region of NY State it is dreary as well, meaning wet and gray. Not really paying much attention to the storm right now. Probably more starting tomorrow afternoon. I am getting calls and emails already asking me about it and myself...

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Apparently, NYC is closed as of tonight. That is to say: public transportation suspended, and bridges and tunnels closed. So much for my lessons with a coach at Ballroom Off Fifth tomorrow. Fugeddaboudit.

People from other parts of the country ask me about what's the big deal. It's gonna rain, so what? Well, it's a full moon, the wind will be pushing water inland from the ocean, the Hudson River by NYC is basically an extension of the ocean, and even here, 20 miles north, I expect the water to be over the road in low-lying areas. Not quite a 100-year storm, but close.

3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Be safe everyone on the Atlantic seaboard!

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Anyone who asks what's the big deal has never lived through a hurricane. Do not underestimate it. Hunker down. Get supplies. Evacuate if they tell you to. Do whatever you have to do. It may turn out to be nothing.

But I'll tell you what. If it turns out to be something, living through a hurricane will remind you anew why they are called acts of God -- because only God is big enough to wrestle with them and win.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Exactly. BTDT, and it's no fun. Admittedly, I don't go all out with preparations, but I'm also fortunate to live far enough inland that it doesn't much matter, we have buried power lines, and we alway have hot running water. And I hoard food as a matter of course.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto!

Keeping my fingers crossed that their ends up being no need to have kept my fingers crossed for everyone...

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I live on the razor's edge of a flood zone in a town with a river tributary running through it, with the hurricane projected to make landfall overhead-ish. My place of work has enforced that the entire (local) company work from home today, excepting critical on-site personnel, the schools are all closed, and certain high-flood roads are already being blocked off.

Bumpy or no, this is surely gonna be interesting. The Jersey shore is already flooding and the storm is still 500 miles away!

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Plus one

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sam, are you in south Jersey? I'm hearing that is the hardest-hit area right now, between the normal spring tide and the storm surge. I've seen reports that most of Ocean City is under water.

10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Larinda, if you're online, how is the NE area doing? I know that all of my Lincoln Labs peeps were told to work from home today.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Just want to take the time to say to all those living in the affected area of Sandy, all thoughts and prayers go out, and be safe.

chachachacat likes this.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Boston is pretty ok, unless someone is on the shoreline... there is a bit of water over the shore in places like Revere Beach, Cambridge, Boston proper.

Mostly we are told to stay in doors so that we aren't hurt if a tree or powerline takes flight. Although the wind seems to be slowing, it certainly is howling less against my house.

Our studio closed early so they could sandbag the front door to try to keep the wind from pushing the rain under the door. If not for that I would have kept working today, instead I left at 4.

I am in the greater Boston area, so not really in immediate danger of water rising, except that I am right on the Charles River, so I am at water level. My basement tends to flood. At least I live on the second floor with my storage in the attic. The lady on the first floor stores her stuff in the basement. It might get a little wet.

But really it isn't bad here.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm in central NJ, not on the shore, which was devastated. Thank goodness there was little rain compared to what was forecast -- that would have been catastrophic for where I live, which has a network of rivers & tributaries running through the towns. The wind here, though, did some damage, from what I can see -- trees down everywhere, some on cars & houses...

Sagitta likes this.
  14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

In your cheeks like a dormouse, I am told;)

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Not much here where I live either, in Ithaca, NY. I am glad. Grateful for having being missed while I keep all those who suffered the storm's wrath in my prayers.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

17. Peaches

Aw, poor little shark. :-(

18. Peaches

Anyone heard from/about j_alex? I've been thinking about her. Hope she and her family are ok.

19. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Drug stores and a few restaurants are starting to reopen where I am in NYC. Still many people without power though (and in NYC that usually means water eventually). Looks like its going to be awhile before transit and everything is back to normal. Thankful though that it wasn't as bad here as the Jersey Shore :(

20. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Here in Western New York things are not too bad. Thoughts and prayers to all those along the East Coast who are struggling with the water and the power outages. Hope everyone is ok.