The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by ThisIsNotMe, Apr 28, 2008.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The weather report calls for lows in the thirties tonight in some of the hardest-hit places, some in places where people feel compelled to watch over their belongings to prevent looting. Oh my goodness. It's bad. :(

2. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks very bad...saw some news clips from Staten Island and Hoboken, just horrific. Our area Red Cross has sent workers, supplies, and trucks, and more are on the way there today, but it is so little for an area with so much need.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Went to a local relief organization yesterday to make a donation to the Sandy relief effort. Those of us here out west as well as other areas are thinking of those affected and following the developments.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just saw a few snow flakes.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Have you got heat Sagitta?

6. pygmalion

I heard (I think on CNN) last night that FEMA is airlifting trucks, other rescue equipment and workers from the West Coast, because it would take too long for them to drive across country.

Apparently, victims of the storm are getting frustrated that it's now been four days and so little progress appears to have been made. I thought the FEMA guy made a good point, though. He said that first, they had to wait out the storm, then search and rescue was the first priority. Then ensuring safety as much as possible (Taking care of downed power lines, etc.) THEN getting aid out to pople.

But I suppose, if I were one of the people in the rubble of my home, four days would seem like a long time to me, too. *sigh*

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Right now on Staten Island it's a bit nuts because they are in dire straits without food, water, gas, heat...meanwhile the mayor is planning on going forward with the NY marathon. Bit odd, that, but what do I know...

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup as Sandy didn't really affect me. I was in a lucky area.

9. pygmalion

I heard that and assumed it had something to do with the indomitable spirit of New Yorkers or some such. Not sure how I'd feel about that, if I were from Staten Island. *shrug*

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My initial
    My initial thought as well...until I learned of the extensive emergency/police/etc personnel required to support the race. Anyway...they'll figure it out. But it's a tough place to be right now...

11. pygmalion

Oh. I hadn't thought of that. It does seem a rather strange allocation of resources, when you look at it from that angle. But, as you said, what do I know? *shrug*

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

We've got ye olde gas rationing happening here starting tomorrow -- it's been nuts with 3-hour waits being the norm. Son drove 45 minutes to nab a one-hour wait, today.

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I heard this afternoon that it has been cancelled.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yes, it ultimately was.

15. pygmalion

The federal government (Department of Defense, IIRC) is supposed to be bringing in a big old pile of fuel (via truck, I think ??) That should ease things a bit, assuming the gas can be delivered to stations that have power to pump it.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

There's a whole Gov/FEMA initiative to help get supplies and power to stations in every town...they're working on it, even if they have to put the gas stations ahead of getting power back to people.

17. pygmalion

As j_a said in another thread, it reminds me of the gas shortages of the seventies. My Dad would get up long before sunrise (on alternate days, of course) just to get gas before he went to work. It was bad, (from what I remember; i was pretty little) because you never knew, from day to day, which stations would ultimately have gas or how long the wait would be.

Of course, Dad didn't have the added burden of sleeping in a cold house and dodging piles of debris just to get to the unpredictable gas supply.

This is terrible. I suppose getting gas to the region really should be one of the highest priorities. If people can't get to work, the can't get the economy going again. The folks in Manhattan (other than the ones still dealing with flooding and its aftereffects) are probably in a better position, since, if you have to, you really can walk the whole island top to bottom, given enough time. But the folks in the other boroughs who are trying to get in and out of the city. Not to mention all the folks in New Jersey. Wow. It's mind-boggling.*sigh*

18. pygmalion

One thing that I found ... uh ... not as bad as it could be is that, according to a news report on NPR yesterday, even though there's such high demand and limited supply, the price of gas hasn't risen significantly because of fear of reprisals for price-gouging. So, if you can find gas, you can probably still afford it, all other things being equal.

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

chilly day here...a bit wet and grey....hearing it is going to warm next week...awesome

20. pygmalion

Sunny and in the low eighties here today. High in the 70s for the rest of the week. Sunny most days with a chance of showers on Tuesday. In other words, an exceptionally lovely week, for DFW in November.