The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by ThisIsNotMe, Apr 28, 2008.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

40s-50s by day, below freezing by night, blustery but sunny...smells like winter
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. That's what I don't miss about living in the Northeast. Days like that certainly exist where I am now, but they are relatively few.

And, just to be ornery (because it looks like a change of subject is on the desired menu lol) what you're describing would be absolutely brutal, if you were missing a part of your roof or some of your walls or power to you house.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I am unspeakably grateful this is not the case, here.
  4. pygmalion

The summer that DS, the ex and I lived through several hurricanes, the worst part was long after the first (worst) storm had passed.

It was a normal Orlando summer, with thunderstorms almost every day. It wasn't the hurricane that destroyed many people's possessions and, in some cases, lives. It was all that came after. The thunderstorms obliterated drywall, insulation, wiring, pipes, etc, that the hurricanes had left untouched. Some people lost everything. It was heart-breaking.

I revived the topic only to say that, a lot of the time, people not experiencing ... stuff ... are a lot more eager to stop talking about it than people who are. No accusations or aspersions cast.

But ... there are people in Haiti and the South Pacific and New Orleans and Japan who are still, in some cases, YEARS later, experiencing the effects of these giant, destructive storms (ETA: earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc). I don't think there's any harm in ensuring that attention be paid for a few days. I really don't.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

OR, they aren't either eager nor not eager, but simply posting their own weather as is the topic of the thread...not because they want to get off of any particular angle...maybe they aren't in any way even relating to your post ...shrug...also no aspersions
  6. pygmalion

Yeah. That works too. :cool:
  7. fascination

and, speaking of that: rain has stopped and dh is out cleaning the gutters...this is the first time in...ever..that I have waited to rake until he did that...yay, no having that mess in my clean yard...now the entire yard is a mess...and it is going to stay that way until after ohio, because, with a little luck I am going to try to get in to have mani/pedi for comp today
  8. pygmalion

When I lived up north and had a yard, I just waited until all my neighbors were done raking. Otherwise, I ended up raking the leaves that had blown into my yard from theirs. Besides. Crunching around in fallen leaves is way fun. Enjoy it as long as you can. :cool:

IOW: Waiting until after OSB sounds like a great idea, to me. :)
  9. fascination

I love playing in dry leaves...wet ones are another matter...but this year it is simply a matter of priority....also, we used to have an entire acre of grass, while we still have an acre, most of it is woods and only a postage stamp of it is grass....so the motivation not to kill the grass is minimal
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It is cold. Very cold. My heart goes out to all in the region still without power. May the cold bring people together rather than divide. We've got a full house here, including extra pets...those that were sticking it out gave it up for some warmth, a hot meal and a hot shower, thankfully.

The sky is beautiful & clear, though...
    pygmalion likes this.
  11. pygmalion

Not sure what's going on there in NJ, but I just saw (on Geraldo at Large) some military dude, heading up an operation to give away 10 free gallons of gas per person, somewhere in NY. Looks like the fuel trucks made it to the region and, if the impression I got is correct, the gas is being distributed directly from the trucks into people's containers.

Ten gallons is not a lot, but still, it's free. And ten gallons will fuel a generator for a while. *sigh*
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Gorgeously warm here in Australia...sunny, nice cool breeze, a little humid, but what can you do?

Pretty.
  13. pygmalion

Sounds gorgeous. Not sure why I keep forgetting that autumn here is spring there. You're lucky.
  14. pygmalion

In DFW today, 52 degrees F right now. Almost 80 forecast for a high temp. I sometimes forget how lucky I am, weather-wise.

re: Hurricane recovery, yikes. I am right now looking at a picture of a lady's house ... with a boat on the front porch. It's going to be quite a while before some folks get their lives back. *sigh* The good news: It looks like Manhattan is mostly back up. Schools there re-open today. There are National Guard troops in several NJ counties, distributing gasoline/petrol.

It's just going to be a long time, sad to say.

And the weather people keep saying that there's a possibility of another storm with heavy rain and high winds hitting the area that was impacted by Sandy. I hope and pray that doesn't happen. There are few things more destructive than a wind/rain storm, when the only thing protecting your house is a tarp where the roof used to be.
  15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Not so much now, lol.

Huge thunderstorm. Lots of rain. Lots of wind.
    Pretty sure I almost got hit by lightning on the way home.
  16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Nasty snow storm is here:( extremely cold outside and very slippery on road! Hope is not gonna to make it worse just after Sandy storm! Stay warm and safe everyone!
  17. pygmalion

Not sure why, but the newspapers here made it sound like the Nor'easter wasn't going to hit as hard as predicted. Very sorry to hear that it has hit hard, causing even more power outages and delays in restoration of power to people who have been waiting so long.

The New York Daily News said that the only thing missing was a plague of locusts and frogs. Anytime newspapers start going for Biblical references, you know it's bad.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It's bone-chillingly cold -- the snow has been very wet -- and three of my staff members dont't have power yet...one is huddling through this last storm without any source of heat. Thank goodness the temps show to be rising a bit this next week.
  19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Well regardless of snow, and power outages... On Saturday Husband and I are headed into the city for dinner, a show, drinks with friends, and a stay over in a hotel, driving back home the next morning.

We will be in Chelsea and Midtown, where I *think* everything is functional. My girlfriends we are meeting are broadway dancers (college roommates) and they say attendance is way low due to people in the surrounding area not wanting to come over the bridge or tunnel. So we may even pack in a second show if we can score great seats right at the door!

I figure NYC needs my money in terms of functional revenue just as much as they need charity and relief efforts!
    samina likes this.
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

went to theater on 20th St on sunday. Went on 42nd St tuesday. Going on 48th tonight.Plan on more travel time, but yes, the theater district will be glad to see you, and many shows are offering discounts. Travelzoo dot com has a page of discount listings.