The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by ThisIsNotMe, Apr 28, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...to be fair, I don't think it's been such a big deal YET....but I am preparing for the regional ankle grabbing tomo through tues morn...our huskies never need to come in...he is coming in
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah, the local forecast for Monday is a low of 4 degrees Fahrenheit. If it actually hits that, I'm pretty sure it'll be the coldest weather I've ever experienced in my entire life. (I'm a Florida boy by birth.)
  3. fascination

our high for monday is supposed to be 11 BELOW
  4. fascination

and my son's flight to see his little boy tomorrow is cancelled...we are sitting and listening to the UA theme song interminably....very.not.good
  5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Hooray midwest! I"m just glad I don't live in northern minnesota!?! I think I heard somewhere they are expecting windchills as low as -70. Also I heard that on Jan 1, it was colder in some parts of Canada than it was on Mars. Super glad I don't live there.
  6. fascination

I am just glad that, in 1999, after a bad experience a few years prior, we moved into a home with a fireplace...and that, a few weeks ago dh had the presence of mind to buy some firewood
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

A fireplace is never a bad idea if you live where it gets really cold. My wood stove has saved my butt during more than one power outage in cold weather.

My first winter living in Nebraska saw wind chill temps of 50 below. I don't miss that so much.
  8. fascination

9. fascination

northwestern is closed tomo...dh's office is closed....first time since 9/11.....things don't close around here
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Missouri is the pits right now.
  11. fascination

we have been declared a state of emergency...nothing but emergency vehicles allowed on the road until further notice
  12. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Stay safe everyone! Best wishes.
  13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm not actually far enough north for this to really fit for me, but you folks for whom it hits a bit close to home - be safe!

[​IMG]
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  14. fascination

yup...Indiana north of Indy is pretty much all under house arrest
  15. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Just REALLY cold and WINDY right now.
  16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

We are under house arrest too. MODOT snow trucks did not plow and salt because the salt only works to 5 degrees, but our temps were dropping to -10. If they salted we would get that slushy junk as people drive on it. But next time the temp drops it would then just freeze back up into big choppy ruts in a matter of minutes. So we had no trucks on the roads or highways for most of the storm. Digging out from that tomorrow will be a huge task for everyone.
  17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

High of -7 today. Acutal temp -15, windchill was -45 when I went in to work this morning.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Not a good time to have come back.

-15 degrees F.

Windchill somewhere less than "What the @#$% am I doing living here?"
  19. fascination

supposed to hit 40 tomo....bikini weather :)
    Ailuene likes this.
  20. fascination

melted...and had a pipe burst