The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by ThisIsNotMe, Apr 28, 2008.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

81 today~summer in January! Yay! This is why I pay the big bucks to live here.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

rumor has it that thursday it will be 70....do not toy with me

3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

The same was said in my neck of the woods. My gladiolas bulbs would love it.

4. fascination

is beautiful today, but rumor has it that there will be snow on monday, which I believe because I have to drive to lessons that day....I am going to wear a skort, a cami, and my crocs in sheer refusal to accept it

dancelvr likes this.
  5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Spectacularly beautiful hailstorm, with hail about 1 inch in diameter. Too bad the farm truck was outside.

6. fascination

rut roh....

7. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I walked to work in snow today. On saturday it was 85 degrees. I don't understand.

8. fascination

it is NOT snowing....no....not

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Tornadoes to the west of here... gonna be a bumpy ride

10. cornutt

Jeez... tornado emergency for Limestone County... haven't seen the NWS issue one of those since 2011... :(

11. cornutt

Now it's Madison County... looks like it will track north of me... JM, where are you?

12. cornutt

Warning message just came over the TV. These alert messages are all canned... normally all tornado warnings use the same canned message. The one that just played, I've never heard before. Highlight: "You could be killed."

13. cornutt

The tornado continues, and others are forming further back along the line.

14. raindance

raindance Active Member

Sending wishes that you and your loved ones (and everyone on DF) comes through the storms safely!

RiseNFall and cornutt like this.
  15. cornutt

Second tornado, following the same track as the first.

16. cornutt

The current situation. This is a NEXRAD base velocity display from Weather Underground. Where the red and blue colors meet at the upper right is a major tornado. There's another one forming west-southwest of it. Where I'm at is at the right edge near the bottom. THe distance between me and it is about 40 miles. This particular tornado isn't a threat to me, but as the whole line sags southward, the freight train will be headed in my direction.

Base Velocity.png

17. cornutt

Things finally seem to be calming down a bit. But the damage pictures are starting to come in... some of it looks pretty bad. Reports are that two fatalities have been found so far.

18. fascination

cornutt....so sorry to hear this...but glad that you are okay...do you have a basement/storm cellar/etc?

19. cornutt

Yes, we have a room in the basement. Things are calming down now, but we're seeing reports of significant damage in towns along I-65 north and west of us. Still raining like heck and a lot of lightning. They are saying we can expect 5+ inches of rain overnight.

20. fascination

eesh....my dad drove home from florida that time yesterday....best thoughts to your community