Thinking of opening a dance studio

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twinkletoes, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Zumba doesn't seem to require much in the way of turns or pivots, and people wear regular sneakers, not dance shoes. Most of the class is people with no dance background. So I would say most folks probably wouldn't notice a difference.

2. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL !!

this one is the best. [​IMG]

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That one made me laugh too, but it's so true. Hard hanging out with friends who are dance teachers since our schedule is so much different. :)

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there is a need to consider a sneaker that doesn't have deep tread to avoid a lateral tear in the knee...same as kick-boxing...

5. reb

reb Active Member

And more than one variety too - those who practice hanging out and some who schedule morning coachings which follow 10pm - midnight practices.

:D

6. steppinout

steppinout New Member

Private Music Rooms

A good idea when doing the layout of the studio is if there is extra space somewhere try to fit in a 8'x10' private music room. Its a good way to get siblings involved at your studio that aren't interested in dance. Also be open to the idea of using your dance rooms as group music lesson room if you are unable to fill up all their time slots with dance classes.

7. QPO

QPO New Member

If you want to run your own business you are committed 7 days a week, I have been involved in one (not dancing though) and I wont do it again.
    I'd rather work for someone else get paid and go home and not have to worry about bills taxes, employees and clients

8. reb

reb Active Member

The voice of experience!

Small business owners = 24 x 7

Do everything, and mind the store all day long, there's no salary unless you bring in the dough - and you have to keep bringing it in, and you take all the risk.

9. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Right, it's not easy from what I've seen and experienced. Variety is a great idea. Our studio offers hip hop, zumba, belly dance, jazzercise. We've thought about renting out floor space for Irish dancing as well, but have to see if the shoes would destroy the floor first.

From my experience, just don't let students invest in the place, they may just end up owning you if their good intentions turn bad.

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Used to work with big tap/step group here, and it definitely doesn't do any good for your floor.

11. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yeah the floor would be too soft... the younger Irish Dancers have the softer shoes which would be fine though. Been wanting to offer a Mommy and Me class, but that idea was shot down due to insurance or something.

12. eyerishangel

eyerishangel New Member

You have to find out why there are no dance studios in sight. Is there a population that would support one in that area? You have to investigate the demographics and what clientele you would be dealing with. There might be a very good reason as to why there are none in that area.

If you have a location in mind, then from there you would investigate a 25 mile radius surrounding that location. That will be where you draw your customers from. Are you near any major roadways/highways? That would help draw those customers farther out in that radius. Otherwise, they may not bother.

I have tons of ideas if you want more info. Let me know!

13. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Tips for starting a dance school

Ok, guys...after thinking about it for way too long, I'm diving in and starting my own dance studio. Well, a temporary one to start with. Though we've all been taking dance lessons for years and know the basics, are there any tips or tricks or ideas those of you who have run dance classes/studios would care to share? I'm in Australia, so it's unlikely I'm competing with too many people here! LOL...

Any help/advice/tips would be appreciated! :)
    Cheers,
    MS

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi MS, first of all, have a rich guy! Then you should have two pillars: Use your courses at the college sports, local dance school, adult further education centre (don´t know how you call it over there), for fresh supply, and lure the best to your own studio then. The hard way is, that people in the social venues ask: "where have you learnt this?" The familiar way is to bake a cake for every práctica, and to bind the people to your location.

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Really decide if you want to teach or to run a business (facility), they are not even remotely the same thing and often the way to do one well is to let someone else do the other if at all possible. If you are going to concentrate on running the business, you are probably going to need a number of teachers and even rent out the room for non-dance events in order to make the rent. If you are going to teach, you don't want to be worrying about monthly rent, you just want to be paying for the amount of floor hours you expect to use, so if it's at all possible to reliably rent that from a studio owner, or a church or community organization having a suitable hall...

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Wish you the best MadamSamba. :)

17. mummsie

mummsie Member

First off you will have to study and sit for your level 1 coaches certificate to be legal. Level 1 exams are separate for each style so if you want to teach all 3 styles, you will have to sit 3 separate exams. You will need to speak to whatever organisation you want to be associated with and become a member. You will also need to get public liability insurance - I think the normal amount is $10M. You usually can't even hire a hall on a permanent basis without at least the $10M insurance. Just for starters. I have thought about it as well but I only have my Level 0 coaching certificate so am not allowed to teach on my own. - mummsie

18. Hey,

I would say the biggest thing you'd have to decide on is:
    Who Are You Targeting? And A clear Mission Statement.

I think too many business owners try to do everything and cater to everyone.
    You need to know whether you want the "social" dancers or only the "competitive" dancers, kids mainly, or seniors? The more specific the better.

There is nothing wrong with being able to serve everything and everybody.....But its always better to FOCUS.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member