Throwaway oversway

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by etale, Jan 29, 2009.

1. etale

etale Member

Does man extend totally his free leg? I mean blocking his knee and getting a straight leg line?

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

It might help to mention which dance you are talking of (though the answer will probably be the same) I'm not sure but I would guess no, the leg is kept partially bent.... letsee what the leads say...

3. QPO

QPO New Member

Having checked with my DP who is a lead...no you don't leg should be partially bend, turning your knee and foot as in picture below
    [​IMG]

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

This looks more like an " X " line , and I believe its a posed position for a photo shoot (?)
    [​IMG][/quote]

5. QPO

QPO New Member

Could be I was just trying to show the leg line, I googled the image for throwaway oversway and this was an option.

[/quote]

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

7. tangotime

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

X-Line is a Throwaway Oversway.

The leg should not be straight. The foot, knee, and hip all gently rotate andn flex towards the lady.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Txs L. It takes a woman :D

10. tangotime

Beg to differ .. different figures

11. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The man's free leg (the right leg) should be straight like an arrow, no broken clean sharp stright leg line!!; otherwise, it ruins the picture line. Can you imagine a lady doing same foot lunge with bent left leg?

12. dancepro

dancepro New Member

I agree, the X-line and the Throwaway Oversway are to different steps.

Now, let me answer the question. No, both the legs should be slightly flexed. If you straighten the leg the base will be bigger then the top, not a look you should aim for. You need to create a small base and a big top. Think of a "vine glass". The topline should be like the goblet. The body is like the stem. Lastly from the mid-thigh to the feet you have the foot of the glass. So think of creating the look of a vine glass. Now for it to be a Throwaway Oversway, it should end in full closed position. Shoulder should be parallel and hip facing one another. If you were both to stand up and close your feet you would be in normal closed position.

Sorry that was a little more then what you asked for, but here you go my 2 cents worth.

Dancepro

13. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It is straighter, but not completely straight. Think of it as being part of a "long curve" from head to toe - there doesn't appear to be a notable break in the leg line at the knee, just enough to give the appearance of a curve along the length rather than being arrow straight from toe to hip and then a break to the upper body.

If a less physical dancer is having trouble getting fully "into" his left leg and simply bends his right knee a lot to compensate, that's not good.

But that doesn't mean that the right leg is fully straight either.

The comparison to the lady's position in a same foot lunge is not really valid - one is a variety of forward leg position, the other a variety of backward. Also note that in some interpretations of the SFL, the lady's upper body matches the line of her leg giving her a consisting head to toe line. For the man to have a straight head to toe line in the throwaway at todays' depths, he would be leaning over his partner to an unreasonable degree - instead he creates a gently curved one.

---------

On the subject of throwaway vs. X-line, would either terence or dancepro be willing to clarify the specific differences?

14. tangotime

The simplest analogy, to give a mental picture, would be this... The position of a Rudolf Ronde without the leg elevation, similar to a somewhat fallaway position.. both parties facing an "outwards " stance with the bodies shaping slightly to L and R, giving the appearance of the letter " X", hence its name .

Should add.. more appropo in Waltz.. was in common usage sometime back ,but fell out of favor

15. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

First off, the picture posted by QPO is indeed of a throwaway oversway. The weight is on the gent's left foot and the lady's right foot, as in a normal oversway, but the lady's left leg is "thrown away" behind her. That's why it's called a throwaway oversway.

There should be two straight lines in the picture. One runs from the gentleman's left elbow to the lady's left toe. The other runs from the top of the lady's head to the gentleman's right toe. This does not, however, imply that the legs need be perfectly straight; while I think they can be fairly straight, I would keep the knees unlocked.

Like Larinda, I've heard this figure called an "X line", because of the "X" formed by the two straight lines mentioned above. However, based on the reactions from tangotime and dancepro, I'm guessing this may be an American style usage of the term "X line".

There is at least one other X shaped figure. It's been a long time since I've done it, though, so I'll have to look through some old tapes for details.

Edit: yeah, what tangotime described.

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

That is a beautiful description - we'll be dancing it later today so that is what will be in my mind.... What then is the X-line? (with poetry please :D)

17. tangotime

I still believe this is a posed " photo " shoot.. and, placing the leg in a position behind you, does not constitute, necessarily, a " throw away " .

The lady appears to be " dropping " her head position too radically, and the mans body shaping ,is not quite turned enough to his left ... all the indications of a set pose .

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I thought an X-line was basically as if the couple were in a regular oversway, and the man closed his feet and changed weight, extending his left leg instead.

I agree with you. It looks to me like they are on carpet, unless that is a very ornate floor...

19. tangotime

The body " positions " would be incorrect... there is no oversway involved in the concept.

I believe one thing that has been overlooked, is the " depth " of the oversway, and the resulting body positions created by that action.. Tango would be a classic e.g. ( Scriv. called it a "press " down ).

In addition, the style preference of the action , can and does vary .

There was a pro. going into the sway , in the past, who used a right leg "hook " action .

20. pruthe

pruthe Member

Here's a throwaway oversway pic from a Sinkinson training video if this helps anybody.

[​IMG]