Tipping ($$) your dance instructor?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by canismajor41, Dec 21, 2008.

1. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

I live in the US and was at a dance studio holiday party on Friday night. I noticed that several student tipped (like you would a Maitre D')the owner of the studio before leaving. Is this customary? If so, what is a normal tip?
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

never seen that done...hmmm
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

wow, a new angle. I wonder what they tipped her/him with? I mean, who has anything left whey they leave the dance studio?? :roll:
  4. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Next time you need to give a tip, use this one: buy low, sell high.
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I prefer, "Don't eat yellow snow."
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

If you see it again - could you ask someone what they are tipping for? Its hard to even imagine unless some favor was extended in the studio - best table or something...
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That's a good one but it's kinda only seasonally applicable.
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

"Don't [spit] into the wind?"
  10. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I believe the word is " Abnormal ", not to mention objectionable and demeaning .

In a word... Don,t
  11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Same here. Never heard of or seen this done.
  12. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

I don't think tipping (especially a studio owner) is customary - I agree with elisedance, maybe the money was for something else. Or perhaps it was intended as a holiday present (which still seems odd... my dude's getting sweets). Was the party free to get into? Then it might make a little more sense - like if the owner paid out of his own pocket for food & booze.
  13. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I've never seen tipping, but it's quite common to give Christmas presents (usually under $20).
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yep, never seen tips, but lots of Christmas presents. And I gave presents after our last competition as it was first comp after I came back from Kuwait, and they worked extremely hard to get me ready (and I probably drove them crazy during it. :) )
  15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Of course, if you have spare cash you're thinking of giving to your instructor,t here are lots of needy dancers here who are despserate for lesson money that'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

now THAT makes more sense ...
  17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have been tipped once. I hated it. Don't do it.
  18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I can see how it could be insulting - as if personal attention is just a matter of payment (services rendered) when its so often a matter of caring (if you tip for caring you demean it into service for payment). But maybe some owners are not so bothered...
  19. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

In my limited time ... I have never seen it or heard of it. (at any studio I have been too) We pay to go to the showcases and socials and lessons, comps, etc ... I do not think there is a real reason to add an "extra".
  20. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Sure, you never know. I purchased a rhythm costume from my instuctor a while back, and we agreed on 3 payments. Once a month after our lesson I give her cash. I suppose someone looking on could think that I am tipping her. Who knows what you saw.