Tipping ($$) your dance instructor?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by canismajor41, Dec 21, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Ummm....there supposed to spend time with us??? *grin*
  2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Well, if I can take that seriously (because there is a serious element) it depends really on you - how much you dare act as a customer and not an acolyte... the difference is recognizing that you really do have a fee-for-service. Of course, if you are going to a 'top teacher' and they are sold out then it becomes a sellers market and s/he can do as s/he likes - but they run the danger of loosing students in the long term if and when a new 'top teacher' comes along.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I was simply attempting to discern the difference between the way wait staff are compensated between the US and Europe. Your dental hygenist in the US and shop clerk are paid a wage that is at least the minimum wage. Wait staff are only obligated to be paid $2.13 per hour in the US.
  4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

are you sure only $2.13? mimimum wage is approx. $6 per hour in US.
  5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Not sure if it's 2.13, but wait staff definitely makes less than minimum wage. Because of fact tips are expected in our society.
  6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ah, in which case please ignore what I wrote :roll: As mentioned by others, waiters get a working wage in Europe - indeed really here that its a bit odd: A company hires staff but expect its customers to pay them on top of paying for the product. The question really is why are restaurants so different?
  7. skipper

skipper New Member

Didn't take it that way---just talking about my situation. Any chance to take him out for coffee before or after your first lesson after the comp.?
  8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Its an idea, but its not the same as doing it there. Looks like there may be only two students going to the next one - and the other one is more private so it won't be an issue. I'll find some way round - probably by going off-site (the comp hotel) and thereby whisking him away :)
  9. latingal

*grin* wasn't really being serious...it always depends on the specific situation and the teacher and students.

I just happen to be in a situation currently with teachers with many demands on their time and big student bases.
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

so sellers market. bummer... Lets see what the economy does to that though....
  11. latingal

so far - no impact....as you said, we'll wait and see though.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Folks, I provided linkage for a reason...
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Oops, didn't see the link in there, sorry. :)