Tips for starting a blog?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Feb 2, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I have a personal project that I would like to blog about, but I have no idea where to start. I've noticed that quite a few DFers have blogs, so I'm asking. Any tips on how to choose a web host? Is it better to use one of the "free" services like blogspot? Or does it make more sense to pay for webhosting? Pros and cons? Any opinions on how to create an aesthetically pleasing site? Or does it make more sense to just start writing and sort out the details later?

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I'll chime in, even though I don't have a real blog and know not very much about it...

Your two main hosts are Blogspot and Wordpress. There is a pretty good comparison here, and it seems to come down to your experience with websites, etc. Tumblr is often mentioned as an up and coming blog site, but tbh, and as a regular user of tumblr, it fits more with an image-based blog rather than a project blog.

I'd recommend starting off free, and then if you want to grow it or continue it, to pay to take off the .blogspot/.wordpress ending and have your own domain name.

IIRC, both sites have a template system that you can use to create a visually pleasing site...if you want to modify it more, you can do some simple alterations to the code.
    When it comes down to it, writing it and getting the stuff seen is the most important thing.

Good luck!

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I have seen some nice Wordpress sites...

4. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Personally, as a computer scientist, I prefer a web site. Ive set up many and currently
    maintaining two (see one in my signature ) . I DID (do?) have a blog, I found it just as easy to use a web site, which has much more power and can do many more thing. I use goggle sites,and am able to see nice stat with an other goggle product ; all free.

I do see lots of WordPress site and when I was looking in to blog this one seam to have
    the most tools some of them third party . If you use firefox as a browser it has many
    add ons in support of it.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Wordpress. You can use the free site, but it's not hard to pick a personal domain and have it hosted. Siteground.com is what I happily use.

6. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

One of the nice things about Wordpress is that it can be configured to host static website pages, as well as a blog, simultaneously.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I agree. It has a lot if flexibility, and lots of good free themes and plugins. The standard as far as I'm concerned for blogging. Have been very pleased with it.

One can easily use the free Wordpress service, but if you are viewing this as having business potential, P, use a domain and paid hosting because Google "sees" this better.

8. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I have a blog that I started on Blogspot and then transitioned to Wordpress on a custom domain. I like the feature set of Wordpress better. I believe the free Wordpress blogs have most of the same features.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for the tips, everyone! :)