To specialize or not to specialize?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tangoking, Oct 13, 2009.

1. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, exactly. Just because I don't "do" smooth, latin or rhythm, doesn't mean I don't think they are equally as wonderful as standard. They just float my boat a little less, for whatever reason, and I have limited times and funds so I would prefer to focus on my favorite. No judgments implied.
    Gorme likes this.
  2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I specialize in standard for a couple reasons. 1) most people in my area are standard dancers, including the coaches and pros. 2) money. 3) I can't seem to hold down a Latin partner. I would love to 10 dance, but currently it's not in the cards.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Hmm, I do get a bit offended when people don't seem to try to give some style at least a chance. They dabble in it barely (or never learn it) and don't make an effort to try to get better before dropping it. Or automatically decide that they'll never get better at it and stop. But again, personal choice. If you decide based on watching a style that it's not for you, it's your decision not to learn it. Or perhaps you never had the resources to do so, and that's a fair reason.
  4. llamasarefuzzy

Yup, it would be silly to dismiss a style without ever trying it. However, I feel like getting to silver in all four gives you enough information to make an educated decision.
    dlliba10 likes this.
  5. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Why? Seems like if one didn't like the music, say, or had seen the style and didn't like it, those would be perfectly sufficient reasons. Does the same apply to other dance styles like ballet, jazz, and tap - one should try a year or two of those as well before dismissing them?
    danceronice, dancelvr, Gorme and 2 others like this.
  6. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Thank you Warren.
    I'm not a huge fan of Rhythm. I watch the videos, and don't particularly enjoy them, except that I've been falling in love with Emanuel Pierre-Antoine recently, but that's just him.
    I've got no reason under the sun to take a rhythm lesson.

I specialize in Latin. Because, well, it's the easiest thing to learn given current conditions.
  7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Also I think it is different if you are part of a college team that teaches all four styles, versus if you learn from primarily private lessons - quite a bit of a different investment/cost there. Why pay a lot of money to learn something you don't even like very much? Though of course there's the option of taking a couple series of group classes.

And I just talked myself into thinking about a very good reason to not try all four styles, lol.
    debmc and Warren J. Dew like this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yep... the more styles you do in pro am, the more expensive it gets! When deciding what styles to take lessons in, I have to factor in cost and time commitment. I have seen people "rotate" styles though... focus on each one for a few months, compete in it and then move to another one.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

At our university, we primarly focus on international style, but smooth has been coming back. Our major issue is that the american style coach that comes to our university tends to scare people away. We've had a few people come over to the international and stick with it because she was just nuts. We don't really have a good outlet for the American styles unless our people go out to a studio, or try to pick it up from the Internets.
  10. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

What about the pros that do both?
  11. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

As long as that person doesn't disparage the style for their inability to do it.

I had done Standard for a few years before I tried to learn Latin. I tried learning it for a few months, but just couldn't grasp the concept of how the movements work. So I dropped it and put my focus back on Standard. Even though I cannot do it, I don't discourage other people from doing it.
    middy likes this.
  12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Time to find a new coach? Though if I remember correctly the team has limited control over that, right?

<3 <3 Dan, by the way!
    stash likes this.
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Don't we all :) Yeah we have absolutely no control since she ins't directly affiliated with us or the club. She (and Dan for that matter) are hired by the school's Art and Learning Center. So unless nobody (and that includes faculty, staff, outside the university people, and students) signs up for the class, she will continue to teach.
  14. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Crazy and detail-oriented? or Crazy personality?
  15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Personality.
  16. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The point stands, though, that dismissing something and not trying it as the result of a fallacious generalization ("Rhythm is just bad Latin," "Smooth is Standard with explosions"), is not the way to go.
  17. llamasarefuzzy

By dismissing, I meant deciding I don't like it/not good at it, etc. Of course, you can't try everything, and that is okay, as long as you don't dislike it just because you don't do it.
    dlliba10 and Larinda McRaven like this.
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

or because you "can't" do it.
    dlliba10, 5678dance and Bailamosdance like this.
  19. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Ten dancers are rarely at the very top in either Standard or Latin.

Or were you asking about their thigh to calf ratios? Balanced ten dance couples seem to have an intermediate ratio of about 1.7:1. However, a lot of ten dance couples are substantially stronger in one or the other, rather than being perfectly balanced.
  20. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Just playing devil's advocate... actually, it is highly encouraged that if one wants to excel in jazz, contemporary, even tap... one should take ballet for some period of time. I think there is something to be said for dabbling in other styles (provided you have the resources) just for the sake of building body awareness, posture, balance, in other ways other than the ways that you learned through your one particular style of dance. It expands horizons! :cool:
    Sania likes this.