Toe leads for every step for the man?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by LordBallroom, Feb 3, 2013.

1. JohnEm

JohnEm Member

And the purpose of this video is?
  2. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

IMHO But is not good example of dancing. I don't like it at all.
    Maybe occasionaly glimpes might be satisfactory.
  3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

...IMO, self-evident.
  4. JohnEm

JohnEm Member

You're serious?

Clone dancing, appalling floorcraft despite the space, stepping backwards
    and moving against the line of dance. Uneven progression and incapable
    of consistently maintaining the space around them.

This is exhibition dancing for competition, a very different species of tango
    from social dancing. Regrettably called Salon but nothing like most of
    the dancing you see on milonga floors in BA. This is the so-called Villa
    Urquiza tango of commercial academia and competition. It misses the heart
    and soul of the close embrace salon tango of the milongas which isn't for watching
    or judging but for the joy of the feeling of dancing closely with a partner to the music.

I like this even less than BTM's video which in turn I like less than Carlitos Espinoza
    and Noelia Hurtado who at least manage to display a connection with the music
    and each other even if I don't particularly like their dancing.

But all of these are performances, none are social nor sociable.
    LKSO and Lilly_of_the_valley like this.
  5. AndaBien

Yes, I agree with the above.

The OP was about whether to use heel-toe, or not. These dancers use heel-toe often when they are stepping out.
  6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

That video looked familiar, so I fired it up an watched for a short time, and, yes, don't do this in your local milonga unless there is lots of space. But, what struck me when I first saw it, was how connected to the music these guys are.
    I still have boomarked (somewhere) videos of some of the street dancers in front of Galleria Pacifico / Florida Street / Calle Florida in Buenos Aires. Still some of my favorite examples of how to dance "real" Argentine Tango (and by "real" I mean using things that have clearly been part of the AT vocabulary for a long time, perhaps as "show off moves") when shows like DWTS or SYTYCD do "Argentine Tango." Entertaining stuff. And, if I have the space and the partner, I'll whip out some fun stuff, too.

I've read many times that something similar happens in BA when the crowds thing out.

And, although I felt pretty comfortable in the 2 milongas I went to in BA with the apilado type training I got in Portland, I have to tell you that it was the dancing in "The Tango Lesson," yup, the "nuevo" guys and Sally Potter, doing exhibition tango; that got me into the dance in the first place.
  7. AndaBien

I think most students come in with the same thought.

(Did this thread just merge with another one)?
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Threads interconnect to form a whole. Yeah, are we back to the zen thing?
    bordertangoman likes this.
  9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

They will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
  10. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

With the growing popularity of "estilo mundial" i have become onery and i have purged lapiz-es from my vocabulary. Starting to dance with both the follower and the leader drawing exactly the same 2.5 little circles with their free leg feels every single time feels worse to me than doing the 8CB in some ways - at least the 8CB does not pretend to be a deep emotional reaction to the music.

Gssh
  11. dchester

If it doesn't give you a deep emotional reaction, then you're probably landing on your heel.

:D
    Gssh likes this.
  12. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

That's a lot of heel-toe there... and really crappy dancing to boot. But, I guess that's what you should expect when all the dancers are deaf. So, basically, it's calisthenics.
  13. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I watched the video and I wonder how the hell those people came to the finals.
    The only pair (26) that can dance is the winning pair, all others are ...
    It seems that they could adapt easily to crowded floor.
  14. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

They just look like wind-up toy dancers: all the same. Quite funny, actually. THIS is what comes out of BsAs, sadly. I expect the be asked to pay top price for workshops with the winning maestros just as soon as their ship gets in. No thanks.
  15. AndaBien

16. dchester

Could you elaborate on that? I'm fascinated by your insightful commentary.

:)
  17. dchester

They are dancing the same style (VU), so isn't that to be expected?

Is this the only thing that comes out of BsAs, hardly, but they are good dancers.
  18. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

How are you defining good, or are you on commission? ;)
  19. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I would disagree with you. Only for that couple(26). Others are just hideous.
    It might be that they suited their dancing for the competition cause I see smoothnes in their dancing.

I quit all kind of workshops cause they usually they are selling combinations that I would hardly use on social dancing. And after all I need to adjust their technique to mine. So I watch some performances and see what I can integrate into my dancing.

I am a bit interested in DJing, but that's off topic. :)
  20. dchester

"Good" (of course) depends on the context, and in this case it was a competition (VU Style).

I watched the first dance and I thought the mood of their dancing matched the mood of the song well. They were doing difficult steps and maintaining their elegance.

What is it that you disliked? Maybe it's as simple as, we like different things when watching a performance.