Too late to become a dancer?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ambrehhh, Nov 28, 2012.

1. ambrehhh

ambrehhh New Member

Alright well let me just inform you of my situation. I'm a 14 year old boy in 9th grade, who is very interested in becoming an all-around dancer. I have no skill in dance whatsoever, and I'm not flexible at all. Is it too late for me to train and take classes to become one? Most dancers usually start a young age, so I would be at the very bottom and since I'm 14, does that make me too old to start? I'm ready to put in all the effort and work to achieve this, but is it really possible? I know people say "you're never too old!" but really, is it too late?
  2. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Ambrehhh, I don't see you as being to late at all. Like you I too am not "flexible." I started taking dance lessons two years ago at the age of 68. I am now 70, still taking dance lessons and enjoying it. Also, welcome to Dance Forums, and you sure write well to only be 14 years old. :)
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi ambreh, welcome to DF. It isnĀ“t too late, by no means. But please start carefully: your body will be your capital. A lot of ballet dancers are worn out and raddled at the age of 28! Break dancers may hang on to 32. Still far off, but if you want to live on dancing you should be carefully. Best start with Pilates. Pilates once was invented for ballet dancers.
  4. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

You're not too young to start ANY dance style, although world-class dancers in some styles tend to start earlier. For ballroom, though, 14 is still quite young. Plenty of world class dancers started that late, or even later, although many did start earlier as well. (One of my coaches, for example, didn't start until her 20s - IIRC she's top ten in Canada right now!)
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

not exactly Josef invented the form ( contrology) to exercise mind and body One of his pupils Ron Fletcher was a danseur and modified the teaching to suit dancers. Fletcher pilates is what the mrs and i do she is also a certified instructor in this form
  6. frotes

frotes Member

It is never too late. It really depends what type of dancing you want to do but for the most part 14 is actually quite young, especially if you are in america. I wish I had started back then!
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Ambrehhh, Are you referring to one of the non partner forms such as ballet or partner dance, or both? Certainly not with partnered dancing. I think most of us here started well past that age so the answer is no.
  8. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ambrehhh. It all depends on what dance. It certainly isn't too late for Ballroom. For Salsa and Swing, I know many start as adults. For Ballet, Jazz, and Modern, boys are very much in demand, and a late start is certainly not a barrier to entry.
    danceronice likes this.
  9. Dancingnerd92

Dancingnerd92 New Member

I am new to the beautiful art of dance too! Im only 20!
    Rose likes this.
  10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Dancing encompasses a lot. And many varied activities that we engage in for many varied reasons.

It is never too late to engage in dancing as a social activity, which is what it is the purpose of dancing for most older people (post 20's; in my father's memoirs, he told a story about how when he was 8 years old going to the store for his mother and some old woman was at the counter, she must have been about 18, so "old" is very relative). And that is most certainly what dancing is for me.

But I feel that that is not what you are asking. I feel that you want to enter into dance as a career. To that I cannot speak from personal experience, but obviously the younger you can start the better. And yet, as somebody else said in another thread that I cannot remember, the ones who start too young are working before they have developed their coordination and so do not benefit as much from their earlier experience and training. At 14, you should be able to benefit fully.

We all start when we start. Not being a professional, I wouldn't think that 14 is too young. Proper stretching exercises would be in order, I would think. I forget whether it was Schubert or Schumann, a 19th Century German pianist and composer. He devised an exercise machine for his pinky fingers to strengthen them for playing. He ended up damaging them so that he had to seek his fame in composition rather than in performing. Learn the right stretching and strengthening exercises for your body, ones that will do your body good and not damage. A craftsman always needs to take the utmost care of his tools. As a professional dancer, your body is your tool. Take care of it. Learn what it takes to take care of it. The sooner the better. Don't just do what you think you might need to do, but rather learn from a trusted teacher who will keep you from injuring yourself.
    Rose likes this.
  11. Amber chen

Amber chen New Member

Never too late, 14 is still young, just you may need work hard to be a professional dancer`hope your dream comes true`
  12. Aura

Aura Active Member

You're not alone. I started dancing ballroom at fifteen and ballet at eighteen. I learned my splits at the relatively late age of twenty-one. Don't let your age hamper your eagerness and desire to learn whatever style you choose, or your aspirations at a career. One of my favorite sayings concerning dance is "It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer." Fourteen is young and that seems ample time to develop both your athletic ability and artistic bend. Be consistent in your endeavor and listen to your body.
    chomsky likes this.
  13. Miss Asil

Miss Asil New Member

Never to late to learn! I started in college and minored in dance and am now fresh out of college with 2 jobs both teaching dance. If nothing else take it to make yourself happy and just try your best!
    chomsky likes this.
  14. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

kudos!
    and to you OP
    age is not a barrier unless you allow it to be one!... as the saying goes!
  15. SadieMarie

SadieMarie New Member

No that is very young to start dance. I know dancers who don't start until they are 18 some even close to 30 or older. Dance can be many things to people. A hobby, a sport, therapy, exercise, a way of expression. So really I say dance has no age limits.
    chomsky likes this.
  16. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

If your goal is to become the youngest world champion ever then, yes, at 14 you are probably too old to start dancing. Otherwise, I think you'll be okay. But don't wait too long; there's nothing worse than turning 50 and looking back on your life regretting all the things you had the opportunity to do when you were younger, but never took advantage of.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  17. chomsky

thanks for this...
  18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

only want to add dating agency and partner exchange.
    Hedwaite and chomsky like this.
  19. chomsky

only want to add art
    opendoor likes this.
  20. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

It's never too late to learn ballroom dancing. The hugest division of any comp is pro-am ladies' 60+, if that's any indication- and those women are hardcore, smokin' people who can own younger dancers because of their commitment to improvement (and ability to afford it, which, kudos). Nobody's telling them they're too old to be a champion. To the contrary. That being said, if you learn quickly enough, you'll probably be trotting a string of matured hotties in rhinestones to your own competition in no time. Most people have to wait until they have the time and money to (translate: get the kids- no offense- out of the house) or they part ways with their significant other so they can finally rediscover themselves. You have a thirty year edge on many, so go for it. Also, you have to take into consideration where a lot of these perspectives are coming from- people who only compete, and that's THEIR thing and that works for THEM. Do you actually WANT to compete? Most people don't even think about it- they start taking lessons, they get herded right into it as some natural progression of things, and they don't realize how important and rewarding (or how much as challenging as competitive dancing) social dancing or performance dancing can be to people who have according goals. Are you sure you even want to do ballroom, and not something different? Don't let someone else make your goals for you without thinking about what you really want to do, and if you have to change your goals, you can do that, too. Think of what you want to do, why you want to do it, how you can get there, and what it will take.
    chomsky likes this.