Too late to become a dancer?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ambrehhh, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tancos

tancos Active Member

It's never too late to learn ANY type of dancing. Just like in the "Total Absolute Beginner" topic in this thread people have gone from general questions about dancing to talking about ballroom, pros, competitions, etc.

2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I agree with tancos, but since we're often reminded that this is a ballroom or partner dance discussion site, I felt the urge to specify ballroom, and had assumed that was, well, assumed.

3. tancos

tancos Active Member

Agreed, but this is the General Dance discussion thread. As you noted in a previous post affordability is a major issue, and unless his last name is Rockefeller I doubt if ambrehhh, the 14 year old boy who started this discussion, has the resources to pursue ballroom dancing at the level you describe. (Full disclosure: I've always been dismayed at how commercial ballroom dancing has become. A friend of my wife is one of those 60+ ladies you mentioned who has fallen into the clutches of Arthur Murray. She is not wealthy, and I doubt if she can achieve Silver before she achieves bankruptcy.)

Hedwaite likes this.
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Agreed on all accounts.

5. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

By starting early, you'll have fewer problems to correct. Once you get set in your ways, it's difficult to unlearn bad habits.

6. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I can't say I agree. I guess it's both age and determination that makes a difference. Learning bad habits and unlearning has to do with learning itself; by no means your instrument is the body and the ageing body and/or mind does make a difference, but then we're only human afterall; it's the actual learning that counts and as ancient greeks used to say...girasko aei didaskomenos, (as I grow older I never stop learning).
    I started dancing at 37 and am sad about it, but I shouldn't, that's why it pains me to accept defeat...

7. Jahmeir Graham

Jahmeir Graham New Member

Its never too late to start dancing! I was a seldom dancer at 14 now at 18 im loving it although Im no where near the best.

chomsky likes this.
  8. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Is it too late to live?

9. RookieDancer

RookieDancer New Member

man ... i wish i started at 14 ...

10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

And as several people said in that thread, people answer based on their experience. I have no idea if it's too late to become a Scandinavian folk dancer or whatever.

Of course the OP is long gone and the point is moot.

11. Turbo

Turbo New Member

I learn salsa 3 year ago, I am pretty good now, I m now 60.

twnkltoz likes this.