Top Couples Dancing both WDSF and WDC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, May 16, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Wondering if we will see some couples with the brass to try to dance in both, and if that is even going to be possible. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Emanuel and Tania (see their DF interview here), and Mirko and Edita would be examples of couples that have recently danced in both. Anyone else?
  2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I have no idea as far as your questions, but I will say that I find it very important for all of the top dancers to dance against each other sometime, somewhere. It's just odd, if not.
  3. LT

LT Member

Mirko and Edita have recently stated that their next big comp is the German Open... So, I'm thinking they will not be at Blackpool... They also indicated a reluctance to dance WDC because some people made it clear that they could not win and might even drop to third... it's at "best dance tribune dot com" under their cover features.
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Here's the link :)
  5. LT

LT Member

Thanks!
  6. DanceMentor

Maybe not yet, but they sure seem to have a lot of fans.
  7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

OmG that was a very amazing and candid interview.
  8. DanceMentor

Wow, I spoke too soon. That is an amazing interview well worth reading.
  9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Candid is an understatement...hmnn...
  10. Yanou

Yanou Member

Thank you for the link. What an interview.
  11. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

yes, what an interview! the competition reports also discuss style differences and the like. fascinating.
  12. DanceMentor

The part where Edita said Katusha didn't look "fresh" was cutting as well as the part where she said Arunas would win if he went in there and layed down. These statements were controversial but they are not the only couple experiencing frustration today. I think there is some truth to the statement they made about the dancers 10 years ago were more exciting than some of the WDC dancers today. I think the two organizations will be arguing for a long time.
  13. LT

LT Member

Yes, but if you remember... he would still win because he can lay down on the floor with such quality... ;-)
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

It will be a great pity if this rift continues. Perhaps the next generation of dancers, if they dance in both organizations from early in their careers, will be able to bridge it? It really just means less for everyone to have this divide.

How about a Super Bowl of dance? Top 12 couples from each league compete against each other - equal number of judges for each group - could be great marketing and publicity for the sport...
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dunno about that...I imagine nobody cares who isn't already a ballroom dancer.
    Titoxd, danceronice and Bailamosdance like this.
  16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone who isn't a ballroom dancer even knows the difference between WDSF and WDC. Or either organization exists.
    mindputtee and ajiboyet like this.
  17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Seems a bit bitter to me.
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I mean yes, it can seem a bit bitter. But at the same time not so much. From what I have been told, and I believe it has some validity to it, is that at their level, not only is it about the small crazy details like costuming choice that determines the winner, but it is also very political. I know I don't the professional world that well, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of politics played a role in placement. And it shouldn't. It should be solely based on the dancing. I have seen it in the west coast world, and heard it too where the current pros are basically picking who they like to groom up to the top and eventually replace them, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if something similar was happening in the ballroom world.
  19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Ya know in the USA we have NDCA, USADance, the whole collegiate system, and World Promotions. I don't really see a problem with having separate divisions. Do you think ONE organization having a monopoly and controlling EVERY single aspect of ALL competitions in the WORLD would be a good thing??

When I complained about amateurs being the pro in competitive pro-am I was told, point blank, by someone high up in the NDCA world that "competition is healthy, and as long as you provide a good product then you won't lose customers." So I figure of they can say it to me... then they should all live by that standard as well. Let them all fight it out and work hard to keep their business by providing a better product than their competition. Isn't that what a free market is all about??
  20. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I generally agree with this. However, I do see a difference concerning the very best dancers in the world. If there are various different circuits for dancers to choose between, that's no problem. However, if the dancers don't have free choice (i.e., dancing with one gets you in trouble with the other), or if dancers who generally dance in one don't get fair judging when dancing in the other, those are problems. I like Sania's Super Bowl idea. For most of us, it really doesn't matter much if there's some other couple in the world that we never compete against. But I would much rather see competition between Mirko & Edita and Arunas & Katusha happening fairly on the dance floor than in interviews.