Top Couples Dancing both WDSF and WDC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, May 16, 2013.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Call me an old, stuffy, traditionalist, but I also love the "curtains".
    Warren J. Dew and ajiboyet like this.
  2. randomaeiou

randomaeiou Member

If one takes a detailed look at the final of the 2012 WDSF event in Melbourne, Australia (readily available on YouTube), it is interesting to note that 4 of 6 couples in the amateur final (no WDSF-PD) did NOT dance more than ONE continuous bar of "linear" figures in their foxtrot (it's easier to observe for this event because foxtrot was one of their solo dances). Of the two couples that *did*, they came 1-2. Considering that these 6 couples were repeatedly labelled "best in the world" by the emcee (with a *certain* amount of justification, I imagine)...

Having made the observation, I leave the critique/judgement/explanation to those more knowledgeable than myself in dance.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

That was *fascinating.* Thanks for the heads-up about this video.
  4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Hehehehehe...please gimme a link...there are too many videos that look like it...
  5. randomaeiou

randomaeiou Member

youtube dot com/watch?v=kraUx73hSb0

The first 10 minute or so are the solo foxtrots.
  6. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

1. This is fascinating.
    2. Yay Emanuel and Tania! They were delightful at Dance Legends.
    3. I'm glad the basics were rewarded.
    4. Nevertheless, it might be my WDC bias speaking, but everything just seems so ....... powerful. For lack of a better word. The couple that the camera focused on at the beginning of the Waltz (Benedetto and Claudia?) didn't seem to be listening to the music at all -- it was just powerful, sharp, pivot pivot pivot, when the music was gentle, delicate, rolling. Made for a very strange disconnect to my eye.
    Gorme and ajiboyet like this.
  7. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Here's a better word: "athletic".

It's said top English style ballroom consists of making the difficult look easy. I think the WDSF leaves off the 'making it look easy' part.
    danceronice, ajiboyet and j_alexandra like this.
  8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

1. ...disconnect to my brain, more like. It felt like they weren't using the music.
    2. That foxtrot music made me want to dance Smooth. Especially the beginning.
    3. I seem to always have a problem with Olga Kulikova and her backward stretch...

I ain't got no clipboard (or maybe tablet in this case) though...
  9. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Please lets not turn this into a WDSF bashing thread. I personally love many of those couples in the final. Keep in mind, just a few short years ago they were dancing in both organizations with great success. If you take the example of Andrea and Sara, they were always either 1st or 2nd in WDSF before turning pro and going straight to the final in WDC.They still have some WDSF style about them and I like it :)

As far as a more linear vs rotary style of movement in the Foxtrot- BOTH are relevant. Otherwise all of these couples would be dancing alike. I personally find a strict linear type of movement dull to watch.

While the WDSF seems to place more emphasis on the rotational school in standard, I agree- in the words of my coach- that it can be too fast, but its otherwise its all the same stuff.
  10. dlliba10

Apologies if anything I said made it sound like I was bashing WDSF. It's just unfamiliar to me and my issue was couples not listening to the music -- I don't find anything wrong with the athleticism per se. In fact, I find it to be quite exciting in dances like the tango and the quickstep.

My issue with the foxtrots wasn't necessarily the lack of linearity as much as the lack of recognizable figures. Both of the top two started out with a feather, reverse, and three, and while that's obviously not necessary even in WDC, let alone WDSF, I thought it showed a good grounding in the roots of the dance, even as they branched out into more athletic figures later.
  11. hereKittyKitty

Many of the figures, and combinations of said figures, we have come to know as recognizable in recent years is really limited compared to the number of figures/amalgamations out there. I have a huge stack of Ballroom Dancing Times Magazines from 1960- 1980. There are several figures/combinations that I have run across that I didn't recognize. If you think about it, you almost never see an X line anymore. William Pino brought up a figure in one of his lectures several years ago called the Miller Cross and my personal favorite was one called the WhirlyGig- I'll have to look that one up and post it here.
  12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I love Olga's dancing, best Am girl on the floor in my opinion (said that here a few years ago before they were even in the semi )
  13. hereKittyKitty

I love Olga's dancing too. I have always found her shaping to be beautiful.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  14. Casey

Casey Member

At the German Open last August, most if not all of the final dances were done as solos. I can't remember whether Tania & Emanuel went first, or Benedetto & Claudia. I think that was the order, but someone w/ a better memory could give more accurate info. At any rate, the first couple to do the foxtrot did a basic feather all the way around the floor. It was absolutely gorgeous and they got a standing ovation from everyone as they went around. Then the other couple did the same w/ the same skill and beauty and the same audience reaction. The other couples in the final, Olga & Dmitry, Annette & Simone, Sergei & Olga, and Genny Favero and her then partner Evgeni Moshenin did their routines. They were also fabulous, but seeing the basic done at that level was an incredible experience. Here is a link to the results:

http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Compe...ciosa_WDSF_Grand_Slam_Standard_200657/Results
    dlliba10 likes this.
  15. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Part of the problem appears to be that they are stuck in routine. At first I thought this was the entire problem: since they couldn't vary their choreography, they couldn't do much when a piece of music came on that didn't match that choreography.

However, on further thought, I think that if they could "make it look easy", they could have made their choreography fit the music. What's needed is an elegant style with a big top from a small base, rather than this more flashy style with a big top and a big base.
    Hardly bashing - if anything, the WDSF judges are to be commended for favoring the couples who are trying to work on their more basic and classical material.
  16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Here're the videos:

Benedetto & Claudia (they actually break into their routine eventually):

Emanuel and Tania:
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

IMO the appearance of a lack of musicality in those WDSF championship videos may have something to do with the music not being quite synched with the video.

Also, it's possible that wasn't the actual music they danced to live.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  18. dlliba10

Is that actually a thing with WDSF videos? Even stateside videographers tend to leave the music played during the comps on the vid, copyright restrictions notwithstanding ...
  19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Well, there are videographers, even in the US, that pipe the music into the dvd via a different channel. And it always appears to me to be out just slightly of sync.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  20. Casey

Casey Member

Thanks for finding the videos, JudeMorrigan. You can also see Mirko & Edita watching, although mainly from the back. Mirko & Edita practiced on the Blackpool floor on Thursday afternoon – that was quite a treat!