Top Couples Dancing both WDSF and WDC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, May 16, 2013.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

ummmm, when did VWaltz turn into *that*? Did I miss something? I heard rumors of "new steps" but have not seen them danced in competition before. I don't know how I feel about that... I kind of enjoy seeing pure VWaltz amongst the sometimes chaotic over-danced Open champ Standard dances.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

They've been danced in quite a lot of (mostly WDSF) competitions.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's exposure to "more" but while the dancing does look easy, it also looks to me like they're leaving quite a bit on the table, movement- and shape-wise.
  4. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I think any difference in movement is illusory. There is a difference in shape, but that's part of what is incompatible with the music in the IDSF clip. Here are stills taken from the two videos of the same step - rising from a lowered pivot to a risen pivot:

[​IMG][​IMG]

From the standpoint of movement and distance, the size of the step is about the same - about four foot lengths between the lady's toes on the left, and just over four foot lengths between the lady's toes on the right. The couple on the right are getting the same distance, and therefore amount of movement, even though their dancing looks much quieter.

From the standpoint of shape, there's certainly more shape on the left - but I would contend that it's bad shape, not good shape.

In particular, the extra shape on the left is required because of the large base - the couple's hips, and therefore feet, are much further apart, as can be seen from the gentleman's right foot being almost two foot lengths away from the lady's left foot on the left, as opposed to what appears to be less than one foot length on the right. This means that on the next step, the gentleman is going to have to go much further than the lady to get around her - the lady is going to have to cut her distance.

This difference in distance on the next step will be achieved by the gentleman taking much less rise than the lady. The difference in rise will in turn be achieved by the strong - and in my opinion ungainly - extra shape. It's extra effort that would be unnecessary if they cleaned up their base.
  5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I think that this is the point where taste, rather than an absolute right or wrong, comes very much into play. I also agree that there is more shape on the left, but I would contend that it is much more exciting and dynamic than the couple on the right, rather than being a bad, ungainly shape.

Clearly, both couples are masters of the craft- I would love to ever, in my life, to dance like any of the above. However, given the choice (and the assumption that I'm actually good enough to differentiate this in my own dancing) I prefer my dancing to be powerful, athletic and exciting over the more technical English style. This is of course, my own preference, and I totally see how some people would prefer the opposite.
    dbk likes this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I would love to see a couple dance in both organizations with the style that is becoming characteristic of each.
    ajiboyet and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

thats like dancing pro rhythm and pro latin LOL
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I think it's hard enough to come up with your own personal voice in the music and dances... To come up with two different personal voices, that seems like too much work. Dance is about interrupting the music the way you feel it and with in the character of each dance. Having two different styles of dance in one couple would almost seem to me as split personality disorder...
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Back in the day, I saw an interview with Jonathan Crossley and Kylie Jones, who said they'd had to change their style to appeal to the IDSF judges in order to win the amateur world championship.