total beginner: easy moves that work (on anyone)

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by matty, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

matty, I'll check out that video when I am in a place where I can do so. Meanwhile, I have to correct one more thing in my last posting. It's: You lead the lady to your left (a regular outside turn), then right (inside turn), and then left (another OUTSIDE turn)...

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

matty, I just took a look at this clip, and the figure I described (also called Left-Right-Left Turns) is simpler. Leading the lady into an outside turn (involving a 5th position break), and inside turn (using an outside partner break), and an outside turn--all in a row.

By the way, one video that is fairly painless and well-reviewed (in my opinion) is The Quick & Dirty Guide to Salsa - Part 1. Check it out on Amazon. Taught by a girl named Gigi (I think she is Cuban or Cuban-American), it has a lot of salsa moves. It's been a while since I've seen this series, but I believe they are part of the salsa rueda canon of patterns.

3. matty

matty New Member

nice! , i checked a preview of it on the net , i like the different angles they use and she is using some colombian salsa tunes that are faves of mine!
    baught it straight away :) thanks.

unfortunatly im having trouble visualising the move your describing to me as i have no idea what is a 5th position break and a open partner break. neither do i know what is a inside and outside turn ;)

how does it compare to moves such as guapeo, enchufla,dile que no? can it be thaught of as versions of those moves with a difference?

or the "simple turn" (woman turns clockwise on the spot on 567) hmm why doesnt the simple turn have a saucy spanish name like the rest :(

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Matty, hope you enjoy the video... As for the dance terms, maybe you can find some clips on YouTube. Best of luck, and enjoy the new adventure of dance!