Ballroom Dance > Training Hours: How do you allocate?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm currently in limbo partnership-wise, but answering reflective of what I currently do / did with previous partner.

1. Aerobic activity (non-dancing) such as running, swimming, or aerobics classes: Non-dancing? Ha! Though I think my goal would be to work 3-4 1/2-hour sessions of this into my weekly routine.
    2. Stretching: None outside of yoga class, but I foam rolling when I feel especially tight, probably should turn it into a near daily habit.
    3. Weight training to improve core strength or muscle ton: I don't do weights per se, but yoga, HIIT, and pilates classes all feel like they fit here
    4. Studying the syllabus including reviewing a book or a video: Since I compete in open latin, there's not much point in opening the syllabus books 90% of the time, but I'll copy FF and count watching high-level video which bumps this up to 1-2 hours/week for me.
    5. Costume preparation and grooming including tanning and makeup: Not really sure, but probably under an hour / week, concentrated near comp time.
    6. Mental training (e.g. sports psychology, an often overlooked but important part of training): Pretty much none. I'll instinctively do a lot of visualizing leading up to an important performance and also definitely do some calming exercises (deep breathing, mainly) to calm my nerves just before, but I may need to up this in the future.
    7. Taking Private Lessons: 0-4 hrs/wk, with 2.5 hrs / wk being the most common (1 smooth private, 1 Latin private, 1 Latin w/ partner). Would ideally like to up the number of partnered, lower the number of solo lessons in future partnerships, possibly cutting Latin privates out altogether unless specifically needed.
    8. Taking Group Lessons: 3 hrs/wk when coach and I are both in town on a Sunday, otherwise 0.
    9. Practicing alone or with the partner: 2-4 hours / week solo, 1-3 hours / week partnered. Definitely would love to up both these numbers (especially the partnered one) in my next partnership.
    10. Teaching: None, though I'd love to get involved helping out a collegiate team to give back to the community that gave me my start.
    11. Competing or Performing: Rarely. Did 3 showcases and 1 comp in the past two years, so really not a lot on this front (previous partner wasn't ultra-keen on competition).

2. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Good thread. Wish I'd seen it years ago.

Answering here with just my own experience.

1. Aerobic activity (non-dancing) such as running, swimming, or aerobics classes
    actual: swimming, 5 to 6 mornings a week.
    ideal: alternate swimming with cycling or skating
    2. Stretching
    actual: rushed 30 seconds some nights, up to an hour Sunday mornings.
    ideal: dedicated 1/2 hour after each activity.
    3. Weight training to improve core strength or muscle tone.
    actual & ideal: 5 mornings/week alternating upper/lower body for 20 to 40 minutes
    4. Studying the syllabus including reviewing a book or a video
    actual: from 30 seconds to 5 hours depending if preparing curriculum or just making sure I've called out footwork correctly during a class.
    ideal: I'd like to dedicate a regular study time each week to fill in gaps and prepare for upcoming exam.
    5. Costume preparation and grooming including tanning and makeup
    actual: crazy procrastinated last-week-before rush because I avoid the topic.
    ideal: I accept it is part of the sport and should take responsibility to teach myself how to put on make-up.
    6. Mental training (e.g. sports psychology, an often overlooked but important part of training)
    actual: near zero. I am blissfully ignorant of the need.
    ideal: should learn a few basic concepts
    7. Taking Private Lessons
    actual: 4 to 6 per week
    ideal: cost aside, would love to do 7 double lessons per week
    8. Taking Group Lessons
    actual & ideal: 4 to 6 per week (not counting the social kind)
    9. Practicing alone or with the partner
    actual until recently: 5h w/partner in 3 sessions + 1 to 4h solo per week
    actual now: 2 to 6h solo per week
    ideal: 6h w/partner in 3 to 4 sessions + 4h solo per week
    10. Teaching
    (Interpreted as peer-to-peer, not as a real teacher, and not counting coaching my own partner)
    actual & ideal: 2 to 4 h/week
    11. Competing or Performing
    actual: compete once a year, showcase three a year
    ideal: compete once a month, showcase as little as I can bear the guilt of refusing

And, not listed by OP DanceMentor, but something I consider useful:
    12. Pilates/Yoga/Gyrokinesis/Ballet type training for dance
    actual: 2h once a week basic ballet barre and Gyrokinesis
    ideal: 3 or 4 one-hour sessions a week

In my opinion
    Essential: 2,4,7,9
    Important: 1,8,3
    Useful: 6,10,11,12
    Less useful: 5

There is one more aspect to time allocation some of us need to include:
    13. Earning an income to pay for dance!
    actual: 40 h/week

blackswan likes this.
  3. open_mind

open_mind Member

When do you people sleep, eat or do your laundry? lol! Ok, my list is less impressive and I consider it pretty full schedule, so I guess I have some catching up to do!

1. Aerobic activity (non-dancing) such as running, swimming, or aerobics classes
    trying to do 1 hour a week, but slacking often
    2. Stretching
    15 min about three times a week
    barre classes once a week, but I am known to skip them
    none, but used to read the blue book every day
    about 6 hours total for one performance last year, hope to get more once I start competing again
    6. Mental training (e.g. sports psychology, an often overlooked but important part of training)
    none. Where do you go to get help with that?
    2 hours a week
    8. Taking Group Lessons
    none for ballroom dancing
    very little, no partner :(
    10. Teaching
    none
    performing once a year so far, hope to compete soon
    12. Pilates/Yoga/Gyrokinesis/Ballet type training for dance
    3 classes per week, 4.5 hours total

13. Earning an income to pay for dance!
    actual: 40 h/week

Adding to the list:

14. Driving to and from all these activities both ways:
    about 5 hours a week, I live in the notoriously bad traffic area

flying_backwards and blackswan like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

how do I allocate? seize every moment that isn't committed to something else (provided my feet don't hurt to0 much from some other sort of activity)

IndyLady, blackswan and Loki like this.
  5. blackswan

blackswan Member

Average about 5 hours a week, all dance fitness or non-ballroom dance classes.

2. Stretching

These go together - about 5-6 hours per week of Ashtanga yoga, mostly solo practice with occasional group class. Also, 10-15 minutes every morning and some evenings of easier stretches and opening using props plus MELT roller and ball exercises. And Bosu ball exercises for balance that only take around 5 minutes but are effective, around 5 times a week.

Spend about 45 minutes to an hour each evening I have ballroom mentally running through lessons and taking notes; also review previous notes before each lesson. Average about 3 - 4 hours a week, plus watching videos on YouTube, but that is mainly fun, not study.

Don't make my costumes but buying dresses does take time! Between meeting with designer, driving to comp for fitting, discussing alterations with pro, time on phone, text and email with designer and shopping at comp for accessories - the last dress took about 8 hours dedicated time. And I'm constantly in research mode on dress and hairstyle ideas but perusing fashion magazines is a favorite way to spend downtime anyway.

Spray tan as close as possible to leaving time for comp - 30 minutes, plus applying self tanner for 4-5 nights before that at 5-10 minutes each.

Get hair/makeup professionally done each morning (2) at comp, an hour for both.

Hoping the yoga helps with this! Always fit in 30 min. between makeup and getting dressed morning of comps. Sure there is more I can do on this, though, and starting to think about it.

Five lessons per week - four ballroom and one ballet.

8. Taking Group Lessons

None for ballroom.

Getting started with dedicated time for solo practice, aiming for two hours per week. In addition, always practice for 10-15 minutes before a lesson and before dance fitness classes. And posture is pretty much a 24/7 project these days - think about it every time I get up from the desk at work.

10. Teaching

NA - not qualified!

Five comps a year, two styles.

Then as others have shared, there is the FT job, getting laundry done, plants watered, etc. and a very occasional social outing. Which pretty much always involve seeing a dance performance b/c almost all my personal friends these days are dancers :)

6. wamandance

wamandance New Member

I'm classified as a pro dancer, but I would not count myself in this category (NOT YET AT LEAST :dancingbanana:)

I'm at the gym 3x a week with at least a 30min warm up jog and 15min cool down.
    2. Stretching
    I practice either a aerobic or workout yoga routine 3x a week.
    Two times at the gym I focus on weight and core training.
    I stay late at the studio every night (one night to work on dance, one to study)
    In the weeks leading up to a comp I do spend a weekend practicing comp hair and makeup.
    Almost daily I listen to motivational speeches.
    I take lessons often with practice daily. With at least one coaching a week.
    8. Taking Group Lessons
    I attend at least one dance party a week, and never sit down. I'll lead if I have too. :)
    Either and often both.
    10. Teaching
    My favorite part of teaching is learning. I can always grow, improve, and become "gooder".
    I don't compete as often as I would like only because I don't have a partner, but I perform as often as possible.

7. noahpocalypse

noahpocalypse New Member

I'll contribute to the thread necro-ing. Collegiate dancer here double majoring in physics and math, so when I'm not studying I'm dancing, and vice versa.

1. Aerobic activity (non-dancing): well, I walk 2-3 miles M-F just getting around my very hilly campus. I keep meaning to actually get into the gym though.
    2. Stretching- just 5 minutes before I dance, focusing on my legs and hips.
    3. Weight training- on my to-do list.
    4. Studying the syllabus- I feel pretty comfortable with most of the silver American and International syllabus, so I haven't studied it recently.
    5. Costume prep- I don't get to wear any fancy costumes at my comps, so nothing here.
    6. Mental training- on my to-do list
    7. Taking Private Lessons- twice a week with my partner.
    8. Taking Group Lessons- 5 hours a week during my college team's regular practice.
    9. Practicing alone or with the partner- I don't do enough practice alone, maybe 1 hour a week reviewing the stuff in our lessons. I get maybe 2 hours a week of practice with my partner.
    10. Teaching- I teach newer dancers on the team for maybe 3 hours a week, I'm one of the senior members.
    11. Competing or Performing- I compete 2-3 times a year, with the team most of the time.

flying_backwards likes this.