Travel Destinations and Memories !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Route 66!!!

Pygmalion, as perhaps implied by my avatar(!), much of Route 66 is near and dear and very familiar to me. I'll have to work on describing some of the "greatest hits" from the Mother Road, as the days of spring unfold before summer! I've had moments on Route 66 that surpass my entire life...

:cool:

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

yeah, had some really good (and really bad) times on our route 66 trips. a nd actually lived on the road for 7 years. so a lot of it was just finally normal part of everyday life and travel. that's why I have to actually give it some though
  3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

A Greatest Hit from Route 66: Blue Whale in Catoosa

On Route 66, there is the potential for a surprise around every corner. One of the "Greatest Hits" is the Blue Whale in Catoosa, by Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was built as an anniversary gift, long ago. Traveling on the Mother Road, the time travel is palpable: to an America from a bygone era...

[​IMG]
    image from www. lakedawgs. com / images / whale10.jpg
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the family took route 66 for a good while on a trip out to santa fe...i thoroughly enjoyed it...the kids thought they had died and gone to hell...but I tend to like the desert so...it was all good in my mind
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as for travel, i don't have alot of specific reccomendations, but I will say that 4 of the most delightful places i have ever been are; santa fe, montreal, st martin, and costa rica
  6. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

lol that thing is cute whatever it is

So I think I'll tentatively plan to go to NYC for Manhattan State, my best guy friend should be officially moved out there by then, so I'll have a place to crash. Get to visit him in NY and see a comp, good deal.
  7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Blue Whale on Route 66

WW, notice the slide on the side of the Blue Whale. It used to be a swimming lake. Now it's one of the most beloved Route 66 icons...
    :)
  8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Wigwam Motel - Another Route 66 Icon !!!

Another simply precious Route 66 icon is the Wigwam Motel in the San Bernardino area of California. If you recall, in the animated movie Cars they had a Wigwam Motel there, too--Cars being centered around Route 66...

[​IMG]
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wigwam motel? I'm there. Me and Lightning McQueen. lol.
  10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I Know It! (About the Wigwam Motel!)

Pygmalion, yeah, you and me both! It's things like the Wigwam Motel in this world that just keep you smiling!

:p
  11. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

lol nobody corrected me on 'manhattan state'.. i am pretty sure manhattan is not a state, i wanted to say im going to manhattan, and not going to maryland state due to money.
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I Heart New York

I *heart* Manhattan--and New York City in general! :p
  13. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I'm remembering my time in Japan. If anyone is thinking it'll be "fun" to climb Mt. Fuji at night, in the cold rain, to see the sunrise from the top, I can assure you it's not. It is lovely coming down, though, when the sun is warm and you can actually see where you're going :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Mt. Fuji

Ireniecat, thanks for sharing those photos! There's nothing like an image to take you there. The moonscape is very cool!

:cool:
  15. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Yes, it was quite pretty on the way down. But I was so eager to get to the hot springs for a bath that I didn't quite take the time to appreciate it. The terrain was definitely not what I expected. It's so red. I thought this must be what it's like to be on Mars :)
  16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I haven't been a whole lot of places, but...

Ireland--In pretty much every town there's a local pub with live Irish music. I was kind of shocked to discover that the Irish actually listen to Irish music...it's not just a gimmicky "for tourists" sort of thing. Oh, sure, there's other stuff, too. But a local pub with local music...very cool.

Italy--Well, obviously, the Vatican. Even my mom, who has very strong anti-Catholic sentiments, was in awe. It's just some of the most beautiful art and history imaginable. Oh, sure, there are tourists everywhere...but it's still amazing. Another tourist thing, but well worth it IMO, are the various catacombs on the outskirts. I wish I could remember which ones I'd been too, but it's been too long. They are...other-worldly...and kind of disturbing.

It's also pretty cool to take a trip up through the Appennines and wander around some of the old hill cities.

Argentina--I didn't get to see all that much, unfortunately (I was always in lessons, or recovering from lessons.), but the cemetery is awesome. Yes, touristy...but still awesome. Don't eat chicken or seafood--for some reason they don't seem to know how to cook it. But the beef is amazing, as are the fruits and vegetables. There's a huge craft fair...somewhere...on Saturdays I believe, and another awesome open-air market on Sundays. Both are cool just for wandering around.
  18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

A particularly gorgeous part of Ireland is in the southwest, the Dingle Peninsula. This is where they filmed the stunning 1970 romantic drama Ryan's Daughter (which starred Robert Mitchum).

[​IMG]

from www . lehigh . edu / ~wwt1 /Dingle / 98walk / minard2.JPG

You can read more about this beautiful film at: http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/?p=517, regarded as having one of the best love scenes of all time...
  19. dcharmd1

dcharmd1 New Member

Southeast Asia and China

Just came back yesterday from a cruise, we visited

Thailand
    Singapore
    Vietnam
    Hong Kong
    Taiwan
    Japan
    Shanghai
    Beijing

Was a very good trip. Most of these places are good for shopping. The most expensive places were Taiwan and Japan. Everywhere else it was a shopper's heaven. My recommendation is to leave lots of space in your luggage for purchases. I was most surprised by Shanghai, China in that I didn't expect the place to be as modern as I imagined China to be. Security in all places are very tight, most especially, entrance to Japan and China. You have to pass thermoscanning before being allowed to disembark. I was very disappointed the weather did not cooperate when we were at the Great Wall of China, I've been looking forward to seeing that man-made wonder, it is definitely one place I would like to visit again, preferably in spring time.
  20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To dcharmd1

dcharmd1: Sounds like a fantastic trip that you had. I have traveled to Asia a couple of times, but did not cover anywhere near the area that you did! Thanks for sharing!