Travel Destinations and Memories !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To Marvelous Keith & Rita...

I can't wait to hear how your vacation went...

:)

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

If ever in Winslow, Arizona...

That line in the Eagles song Take It Easy about standing on the corner in Winslow, Az...

There is a monument in Winslow on that particular corner. Across the street from the statue is a gift shop that was once a soda fountain. Jackson Browne who wrote part of the song was arrested for vagrancy years ago in Winslow and after he was released from the jail he hung out at the soda fountain and told people there about the song he was going to write. This was told to me by the man working the counter at the store.

Though my sister tells me she watched an interview with Jackson Browne where he stated that this actually happened in Flagstaff; at least the part about the girl in the flat bed Ford, but felt that Winslow sounded better for a song than did Flagstaff.

Standin' On The Corner Park

I didn't know this existed until earlier today when I stopped in Winslow on my return from Flagstaff where I attended the monthly dance last night.

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, thanks for those fun facts! I remember stopping in Winslow, Arizona in my U-Haul truck when moving from California down Route 66. Thanks for sparking some fond memories of going through your beautiful state!

4. Laurie

Laurie New Member

Arizona is a beautiful state to visit. I like all Four Corners states (Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico) for their natural beauty.

5. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Laurie I quite like Southern Utah. So beautiful, with the Zion, Bryce and Arches national parks. I recall a wonderful picnic we had in Zion a few years ago. Lovely place to be.

In Colorado I like the Royal Gorge Bridge area.

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Laurie, agreed. I love the Four Corners states, too! And not just the Route 66 portions of Arizona and New Mexico. I love Monument Valley, for instance! And the Rocky Mountains in Colorado sure take me to a special place!

Away from the city lights in those states, like one night on the road in Arizona, I just loved all those stars up the sky, thick as star soup! With many falling stars to make sweet wishes on!

7. Kits

Kits New Member

I used to live in Colorado when I was like 6. I still remember the view out of my window of the beautiful mountian landscape. Miss that! Dont miss hail storms though...

8. Laurie

Laurie New Member

Kits, lucky you that you had a chance to live there. :)

9. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

Our annual two week vacation at Siesta Key (Sarasota) was fantastic! The weather was great--only 1 day of rain. We observed many sunsets. The photos were taken by friends of ours who gather there from all over the country the same weeks for the past 14 years.
    The beach remains pristine and we pray they will remain that way with no oil!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Keith and Rita that sunset picture from your vacation is stunning! :)

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Thank you so much for posting these, Keith & Rita!!! :)

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Another place I am looking forward to visiting in the future:

Tallinn (the capital city) in Estonia, on the Baltic Sea, across from Finland...

[​IMG]

13. Spitfire

Anyone in Albuquerque? Will follow through with my plan to be there on the 17th - to attend the WCS and USADance at the square dance hall, but want to check out the sites as well.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, I love the Route 66 places out there, including Albuquerque. I don't recall how far down Route 66 from Albuquerque the Acoma Pueblo (aka "Sky City") is, but it's a favorite New Mexico place to visit for me:

[​IMG]

15. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Slovakia. It is beautiful.

16. Nvm

Nvm New Member

Is travel to Eastern Europe safe?

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

sambanada, I would love to visit there and its neighboring countries! :)

18. Spitfire

I knew a dance instructor in Tucson who is from Estonia. Beautiful lady and great dancer.

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, that does not surprise me at all! :)

20. Spitfire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Europe, now that's got me started. These photos I took at Loch Ness in Scotland during my visit to the UK years ago. Low clouds adding to the eeriness of the location. (No, didn't get any glimpse of "Nessie")