Travel Destinations and Memories !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A waterfall in Scotland; near Glasgow as I recall. Would loved to have hiked up there.

2. Spitfire

[​IMG]

In Augsburg, Germany. The ceiling inside what is known as the Golden Room; very high, had to lay on my back to get the photo.

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, thanks a lot! You're helping us imagining what it's like to travel to those cool places... :cheers: Love it! :)
    And sorry to hear that you missed the Loch Ness Monster!

4. Spitfire

[​IMG]

The Matterhorn in Switzerland. Taken while riding the rail to or from a point known as Gornergrat.

[​IMG]

At The Stadtpark in Vienna. Statue of Johann Strauss; his music was playing over a loud speaker.

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, nice. Very nice. I'm lovin' it... :banana:

6. Kits

Kits New Member

Ill be going to NYC to visit my aunt. :D Cant wait, we will be going Salsa dancing!!

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That's great, Kits! I so love New York City... :bouncy:

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

This photo is simply amazing, Spitfire! :) Thanks!

9. Spitfire

There's one like it in Holbrook, Arizona.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, thanks for letting us know. We'll have to check out that wigwam motel in Arizona, too!

11. Spitfire

Which is located on Hopi Way, the old Route 66. I usually go this way when I drive to Flagstaff.

12. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

A week ago I returned from a 14-day river rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. All my writing energy since then went into transcribing my trip journal and filling in the gaps (so not much DF lately).

Most people see the canyon only from the rim ... a hardy few hike in ... but less than 25,000 per year get the full experience of travelling the length of the canyon. This was our third trip there but it never ceases to be amazing to us. It's a physical challenge ... and a personal challenge to remain cheerful in the face of so many discomforts (heat, cold, sand, rocks, bugs, etc.) ... my father said he wasn't physically comfortable at any time, but he didn't regret coming for even a moment.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Zhena, I am so envious. The Grand Canyon a very special place for me, but I've only seen it from the rim. I really do have to take a rafting trip at the bottom of it! :)

14. Spitfire

Was in Albuquerque last weekend to attend two dances. During the daytime I took a trip to visit three ghost towns east of the city and drove up to Santa Fe. The old town of Santa Fe is quite interesting, but I only drove through as it was jam packed with visitors and parking space all taken up. Stopping only at a convenience store to buy a map for future use.

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, I love those stretches of Route 66 on both sides of Albuquerque. Away from the hustle and bustle of the bit cities--crossing the Bridge of Time to an old-fashioned America of mom-N-pop diners along the road. Wigwam motels. Indian reservations. And other surprises that await just around the bend. (As celebrated in the movie Cars.)

Glad to hear you had a good time. :cool: And Happy Birthday! :p

16. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Just got back from a wonderful week in Hawaii! i love it there!

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

chachacat, :cheers:. How I love Hawaii so much, too. I especially loved spending one Christmas and New Year's there...

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

every year of my life as a child we went to chetek wisconsin where my granpa used to fish and my aunt eventually retired and bought a resort...the place is righ with memories of brighter family times with my mom....taking my dtr and nephew for a few days....I expect that it will be a floodgate of memories...and speaking of floodgate...if it keeps raining I have primised daughter mall of ammerica which is about two hours away

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Arches National Park (Utah)!

I know! For example, I am quite fond of Arches National Park in Utah! :cool:

[​IMG]

From http: // img.wallpaperstock . net:81/ arches-national-park-wallpapers_10547_1024x768 . jpg

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I came back from our family "pig roast" reunion, after having seen and toured Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Not having seen either since I was a very little girl, and on the evening after the reunion, tracing our family back to 1793 - I found our names on the wall at Ellis Island. While it may not be impressive to some as a destination - it took all these decades for me to understand why it was the "only" destination for generations.