Travel Destinations and Memories !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

3wishes, yes, Ellis Island is special for so many of us! :)

[​IMG]

from http: // score.rims .k12.ca .us / activity/ immigrant/ media/ellis_island2 . jpg
  2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Arches National Park is particularly striking in winter...
  3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Galveston...

How lovely the beachside neighborhoods of Galveston...

[​IMG]

As well as some of the landmark buildings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. gracie

gracie Active Member

Just returned from week in St Lucia. Rainforests, waterfalls, mountains and volcanos. French food, snorkeling, and shopping in the markets.
  5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

gracie, that sounds sublime... :cool:
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Love to visit and photograph old ghost towns. Here's some pics...

[​IMG]

Lester, Washington. East of Seattle in Cascades

[​IMG]

Cerillos, New Mexico. Just east of Albuquerque. Old drug store

[​IMG]

Sasco, Arizona. North of Tucson.
  7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The Ghost Town of Bodie

Spitfire, those are great! If you have not visited Bodie, California--a grand ghost town in the Eastern part of the state between the Sierra Nevada mountain range and the state of Nevada and southeast of Lake Tahoe--you might enjoy it...

Ansel Adams did a lot of photography of this incredible place, and you can read more about it at:

http: // en.wikipedia.org / wiki / Bodie,_California

One can, with not too much extra effort, combine a visit to Bodie with a visit to Yosemite (another place frequently photographed by Ansel Adams)...

[​IMG]
  8. Spitfire

Ray, I have been to Bodie. Great place to visit.
  9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Bass Performance Hall - Fort Worth, Texas

One of the things that I associate Christmas with is the Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth, Texas--where every four years they hold the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. The herald angels on the side of the building are beautiful. And it is a magnificent venue in Downtown Cowtown to watch a symphony, ballet, opera, or other live show...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Spitfire

Have you been inside it Ray?

[​IMG]

Old Brewing Vat. Silver City, Idaho.

[​IMG]

The Charleston Cemetery. West of Tombstone, Arizona; was hard to find.
  11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, yes: For instance, I saw the ballet Alice in Wonderland at the Bass Performance Hall...

Also: I love the pictures you just posted! :)

12. Spitfire

The latest from ghost town travel. Below are the ruins at Contention, Arizona which is north of Tombstone. If you've seen 3:10 To Yuma this was the setting for the movie; Contention was a real place though it was not the town as portrayed in either the original or remake of the movie. It is located along the San Pedro River. This required a one and a half mile hike.

Remaining Ruins
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View of San Pedro River looking northwest towards Whetstone Mtns.
    [​IMG]
  13. Spitfire

And just further south are what's left of the old Spanish Presidio Santa Cruz De Terrenate.

Commandant's Quarters
    [​IMG]

The Chapel
    [​IMG]
  14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, :cheers: I love those photos! I love those wide open spaces--just like out of a western... :) Thanks!
  15. Spitfire

Bodie, California

[​IMG]

Pearce, Arizona Mercantile. My great grandfather wanted to purchase it many years ago according to my grandmother.

[​IMG]

The old jail at Gleeson, Arizona. It has been recently restored. Gleeson and Pearce are located east of Tombstone.

[​IMG]

At the Gold King Mine near Kingman, Arizona. Mansion where owner lived.

[​IMG]
  16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, :cheers: Great photos! And I always love seeing images from Bodie, a favorite place in California to visit...
  17. Spitfire

[​IMG]

The Jimi Hendrix memorial in Renton, Washington. At the Greenwood Cemetery where he and his family are buried. The graves were moved from the original plot and surround the rotunda. This was in August 2007 and at that time it was not yet fully complete.
  18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That's wonderful, Spitfire! :cheers: We've got to check that out some day...
  19. Spitfire

Be sure to go out dancing while you're at it; the dancing in Seattle is great.

During my visit in 2002 I saw the original plot. This was before the memorial was built. Was unable to find it this last time; Jimi's mother was still buried there, but couldn't find it.
  20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, yes, Seattle is a beautiful city in a wondrous location. Good to hear that they have good dancing, too...