Travel Destinations and Memories !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

WW, that all sounds fabulous! I'd like to see Alaska someday, too!

I am glad that you had a great trip up there! :cheers:

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Picacho Peak 40 miles north of Tucson. Most prominent landmark driving on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix. The only Civil War skirmish in Arizona occured here. Stopped to photograph it on my return from Phoenix where I attended a dance.

[​IMG]

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I was going to start a "what I love about my hometown" 'thread, but this is a close enough match. What I am trying to get at is, of all the places you've been, which would you recommend someone else visit? Could be your hometown. Could be someplace completely different.

In DFW, I recommend South Fork Ranch, especially if you're a fan of the TV show, Dallas. The visit is enlightening, to say the least.

[​IMG]

4. pygmalion

Also in DFW, the Dallas Arboretum is stunning, any time of year. I love it in autumn, though. They do some really fun things for kids around harvest/Halloween.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pygmalion

In the greater Orlando area, I recommend taking a day off from Mickey Mouse to see the real Florida. Blue Spring State Park (about a 45 minute drive north of Orlando) is so worth the drive, especially in the winter, when you can see the manatees, who come in to bask in the hot spring, when water everywhere else is cold. (Blue Spring stays at a constant 70-something degrees, year-round.) Manatees are a sight to see, up close. :-D

[​IMG]

6. pygmalion

Philadelphia: Gotta try the Flower Show, at least once. Oh my goodness. So much beauty. It can be overwhelming and a bit hard on the feet. Lots of walking. But still.

[​IMG]

7. pygmalion

Back in Dallas. The State Fair of Texas is not to be missed. It's surprisingly expensive, all things considered, but where else are you going to find pig races, the World's tallest cowboy, a mind-boggling retro candy store in a tent, fried anything you can name and unlimited Frito Chili Pie, all in one place?

[​IMG]

8. pygmalion

Oooh! I forgot about Longwood Gardens, an astonishingly beautiful botanical garden about an hour outside of Philly. It's in Kennett Square, which is right over the state line from Delaware. It's incredibly beautiful any time of year, but I like November - January best. That's when the Christmas light display is out. Wow.

[​IMG]

9. pygmalion

Ooh! I forgot about this place, right around the corner from my paternal grandparents' home. Goat Island, SC. It's really beautiful at sunset.

[​IMG]

10. Spitfire

Went with two friends to the old mining town of Bisbee, Arizona yesterday...

[​IMG]

Old vacant brick structure; being renovated.

[​IMG]

Brewery, also undergoing renovation and back open for business.

11. pygmalion

Oh my gosh! Here's another place to check out, if you ever get the chance. I think it's officially listed as Tucson, AZ, but it's a little drive out of town, IIRC. Saguaro National Park. The cacti are amazing, and it's a nice little hike, if you like to hike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Spitfire

There's two of these here; west and east. I'm not far from the east section. One of the best areas of preserved Sonoran Desert and many hiking trails.

13. pygmalion

It is absolutely gorgeous, in a stark, quiet kind of way. :-D

14. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Beautiful! We used to visit Longwood Gardens every September as a family.

15. pygmalion

It's beautiful, isn't it? :-D

Another thing I love that's pretty cheap but not to miss ... the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. Oh my goodness. I know that people who live in MD might not be impressed, but I'll tell you what. This thing is scary, fun. awesome. And there are places where you can stop and take pictures.

[​IMG]

16. pygmalion

Another thing not to be missed. Museo Nacional del Prado. If you're ever in Madrid, check out this museum. It is incredible. There is so much here that it's hard to explain. Definitely worth a day of your time. You'll see pieces of art that you've heard of, even if you're not an art buff (which I am not.) It's musky and old and beautiful.

[​IMG]

17. pygmalion

While you' re in Madrid anyway, check out El Corte Ingles, a huge department store that's like every department store you've ever seen in a big US city ...but not. :wink: Overpriced by American standards, but definitely worth a look see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. pygmalion

When you're done with the Prado (which closes early -- 6:00?) and El Corte Ingles (Which closes later -- 9:00?) head to a tapas bar for the night.

Very cool. Appetizers and (small portions of) wine or liqueur with friends, until midnight or later.

[​IMG]

19. pygmalion

Here's another place to visit, if you can. The Anne Frank house. Honestly, it's crowded and boring, but when you go upstairs, you can feel the ghosts. It's SO worth going, to be reminded and humbled by what people went through not long ago.

On the outside, it's just a house. On the inside, it's a museum downstairs and I can't describe upstairs. See it for yourself.

[​IMG]

20. pygmalion

Along the same lines, this is a priceless experience of mine. Elmina slave castle, on the coast of Ghana. Oh my goodness. This place brought me to my knees.

[​IMG]

Here's the *euphemistically titled* holding cell (dungeon) which has been cleaned up more than I can say since I went. When I was there, it was dark and dank and had a single light bulb swinging from the ceiling.

[​IMG]

And here's the door of no return, where slaves walked from the dungeon onto the slave ships. The women who were pregnant (because of rape by their captors) were turned away and allowed to stay. That is why the Ewe people who live near this coast look more American than African. Many of them are mixed.

[​IMG]

An excruciating but worthwhile visit. My own pictures of this place are in storage somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them. (I think it's this castle. I visited a few that day.) I have a picture of the crypt of one of the European guys who was in command of this fort. He died from malaria (which I had when I visited this castle.) The native tour guides found his death from malaria ironic. He caused so much suffering and died from a disease that natives largely find insignificant. They think it's a God thing. Not sure I disagree.