Tumble Turn vs. Reverse Pivot

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by spatten, Apr 27, 2004.

1. spatten

spatten New Member

I was trying to describe to someone today the difference between tumble turn and reverse pivot and I couldn't do a good job.

I was wondering if anyone could help?

PS - Can't seem to find the book, otherwise I would check there.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi spatten.

Just want to say welcome. I'm going to defer to some of our other members, who have better knowledge of technique than I do, to answer your question. But in the meantime, welcome, and I hope you'er having fun here in the forums. It sure is nice having you with us. :D

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

The tumble turn is not in the ISTD syllabus book, unfortunately. Nor does it occur in Popular Variations, unless perhaps as an action hiding in a figure of another name.

4. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The tumble turn is a four step figure, with all of the steps moving between line of dance and diagonal center. One typically completes about 7/8 turn to the left over the course of the figure. It's an open figure, it moves quite a bit.

The reverse pivot is a single step figure, and it's quite tight as there's a brush in the middle. It completes about 1/2 turn to the left.

Hope that helps.

5. Chris Stratton

I think the intersting question is, what's the difference between the open figure called a tumble turn, and a syllabus feather finish blended into a reverse-roles syllabus reverse pivot.

At a recent lesson, I was told that I was doing a nice job of combining the syllabus figures and could do that if I wanted to, but if I wanted to call it a tumble turn some things had to change. Unfortunately, when I look up the details of the syllabus figures they seem to include what I was told to do to make it a tumble turn, so I can't meaningfully comment on the difference.

6. spatten

spatten New Member

Chris,

You phrased the exact question I was trying to ask. I have also seen the tumble turn used without the acoompaning feather finish - which would seem to indicate their is a differnce between the tumble turn and the reverse pivot; otherwise it would just be called a pivot.

I can feel a difference in the shaping, mostly I think because the effect of the fall from the previous step for the tumble turn which wouldn't be there in the pivot if one was doing a line of reverse pivots for expample.

Thanks,
    Scott

7. Chris Stratton

In syllabus, if you do a waltz reverse turn into a reverse pivot (123&), do you lower at the end of the reverse turn, or only in the pivot?

8. spatten

spatten New Member

That's a good point. Your almost certainly have to lower and the end of the reverse turn in order to pivot correctly. Instructors will disagree with how much heel contact there should be on the floor during a pivot - but they would probably agree you have to be low in order to pivot.

So that mostly kills my theory about the difference. Chris, can you recollect what you were told to do to effect a tumble turn?

Scott

9. spatten

spatten New Member

Just for finality, I thought I would mention that after a few hours playing around in the studio I have convinced myself of the difference between the two steps.

It is my belief that the tumble turn is a pivot in which one lowers during the pivot - but the reverse pivot requires that the lowering has already taken place from the previous step. Hence the feather finish into reverse pivot - would lower on the right foot - but the tumble turn lowers on the left foot.

Thanks,
    Scott