Two Step and Three Step and Triple Two ...

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Oct 12, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So I'm out googling, as usual, when I run across some guy's really interesting "retirement info" page. I kid you not. And what did I find there but some really cool info about country and wester dances, at least from one man's perspective. His take? Most people call C&W dancing two-step, no matter what dance they're actually doing. But most people are really doing a three-step. Well, I've done a bit of country dancing myself (and I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more soon :wink: ) but I never even heard of three-step. what the heck is it, and how does it relate to two step? And does everybody really do three-step, or is that a Texas thing? And, while we're at it, um, could somebody explain the intricacies of triple two. Seems I have a few dances to learn. :wink: :lol: Warm up them dance boots! :banana:
  2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

See: pages 6 and 7 of 16, dances - #1 Two Step, #6 Triple Step, and #9 Triple Two for the UCWDC step descriptions of the dances you mentioned.
    http://www.ucwdc.org/rules/section2-2003.pdf

For me, the Triple Two is the hardest, although the Triple Step will tell you what you are made of FAST and busy!

Since you have done some C&W dancing, and if you plan to compete, I'd attempt to perfect the Two Step since it is a mandatory dance.

I would love to hear from other members regarding the differences in the dance from say someone in Texas vs someone here in CA. Of course, the Texans do it wrong, but we'd listen to them . . . for a minute!
  3. pygmalion

Yup. The guy who wrote the article was from Texas. LOL. Triple two I get, two-step I get. Three step? Oh well. I guess I'll see. :wink:
  4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

The "Three Step" as you refer to . . . around here is the Triple Step, otherwise known in some countries as the Polka - just done to C&W music, you know, like how WCS is killed when you try to dance it to C&W music :wink: Kinda, sorta loses the flavor!!!
  5. pygmalion

Oh. Then I know that one, too. 8) Yikes. I don't know how much of it I can take, though. :wink: :lol:
  6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Don't know how much triple-step you can take or polka music? :) :)
  7. pygmalion

Polka music I can't take at all. (Sorry. I have to be honest.) Polka is fun, depending on your partner. But some guys, especially ... sloshy ones, can get a bit enthusiastic for my taste. :lol:
  8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Actually, the Triple Step, or Polka, done to C&W is quite a different dance.

Basically, it is a Polka, but the C&W music and look of the dance makes it very fun to do.

The music, is fast, but is done with a 'straight' count - a beat every count, for instance in an eight-count measure . . . I'll look at some of our tapes/CD's from competitions to give you an example of the music (songs).
    http://www.ucwdc.com/competition/music.shtm
    Scroll down to Polka . . .
  9. Jmoney

Jmoney New Member

Actually there is a Dance called 3-Step what it is is a 2-step but double time.

example: 2 step would be 1,2,34,56 3-step would be &,1,2,3 both are QQSS where as 2 step has evolved to passing feet on every step, 3 step (which very few people know about or do anymore) is still step together walk walk.
  10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, Jmoney, does this mean you're an old timer (like me)?