Types of Tangueros: The Good, the Bad, and a myriad of Jerks

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Ampster, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I stumbled upon this article on a Argentine Tango Specific Blog (There's a lot of them). This one hits the head right on the nail regarding the types of AT leads out there.

Seeing the paticularly bad ones and the jerks on the floor are pet peeves of mine because you can see the pain they inflict on their follows, just to satiate their misguided egos. :mad:

Read and see for yourself which category you fall into, and adjust your attitudes accordingly.

The Blog link: http://tangoloveandotherdevils.blogspot.com/2007/03/tango-types-i-tangueros_19.html

P.S. (For our new DF friends) On any these Tango blogs, when the writers refer to, or talk about Tango, they mean ARGENTINE Tango. NOT the ballroom kind.
  2. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

That amuses me greatly. We can of course slide in and out of different categories, but only when rare epiphanies occur. Good point Ampster, about recognising your own flaws in the writing, and trying to adjust.
  3. Me

Me New Member

Oh, but the lessons are universal. ;)

I ran into that little guy last week at a ballroom social. :lol:
  4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Active Member

The real "fun" starts when The Aspiring Teacher happens to be not such a bad leader, on the contrary, a quite good leader, but still a very insecure person, and therefore, trying to raise his egos at the expense of the susceptible followers/fellow tango students :(
  5. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Thanks for sharing that. I think that ALL dancers can benefit from it...not only AT dancers.
  6. newbie

newbie Active Member

Among the jerks I think I'm the "I.4 The Baby-Sitter-Jerk".
    Sure if se says she's tired and I sit at her table and wait until she recovers then the other leaders may not approach her but well, she's tired so she would also refuse the other invites anyway so it does not make any difference for her. Plus, it saves the other leaders' time.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The tangueras section seems to have more "nice" types.
  8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ummm, I think I'd like one Blonde Tango Barbie Doll, please. Hold the onions.

While I certainly don't dispute the truth of the descriptions, what's a newbie lead to do? I just started tango a few months ago and my steps are limited and I do have to think about what I'm doing. If I avoid milongas, how can I improve? Or should I only dance with follows or instructors from my class?

I have attended one milonga and I thought I did alright but after reading this, I'm wondering if I was boring / frustrating the daylights out of the more experienced follows. I did tell them I was a beginner when I asked them to dance though.
  9. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Do not feel badly about where you are. All of us began...somewhere, and chances are that many of us were not great already. Yes, too many of us tend, or pretend, to forget this. You announced yourself as a beginner, thus giving others the opportunity to decline the dance, should they desire. What more can you do?

Re getting better, besides milongas...practice and practicas. Welcome to the DF, and to AT (beware, some here call it "The Dark Side").
  10. jhpark

jhpark Member

It depends on your area. some places people seem to only want you at a milonga if you're already good, otherwise stick to practicas. in philly, milonga-goers are friendly to beginners (generally speaking) so it's different.

IF you can do it, it's best to avoid the 'i'm a newbie trying out all sorts of fancy stuff even though i can't do any of them well' stage... stick to simple stuff, try out one or two new things at a time. we tend to get ahead of ourselves and try out a bunch of new stuff that we can't do yet... save it for people you know and are friends with, so you don't torment people who will speak badly about you behind your back :)
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

AMEN!!!

I have no problem with beginning leaders. I'm not that much further along, really, in the scheme of things. I actually rather like dancing with beginners...so long as they're not trying to do all kinds of fancy stuff. Then...well...yeah, I start to lose patience.
  12. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Good points from jhpark and Peaches. And, if you do this, remember something that my AK partner always says to so-called advance students, "You are not a good dancer until you can dance well with a beginner".
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'll stick to ballroom for now, not AT, but it still gives a list of some great things to aspire to, as well as thinsg to avoid. I like to think that I tend to fall in 6-8, or at least that I DON'T fall into the jerk categories ,but always good to get a reminder to reevaluate.
  14. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Good for you! And yes, you're right. How indeed can you improve by avoiding milongas. Six months into the dance I went straight from class to milonga and never once attended a practica. Also, worry not about your limited steps. Believe you me, my favourite dancer who always leaves me breathless and panting for more (of all of him) keeps his steps oh so simple but his sense of musicality is superb and we just melt into each other's bodies when we dance. Think, "feeling" rather than "doing".
    AnnaN likes this.
  15. jhpark

jhpark Member

heehee. i plan to never be a good dancer. :)

unfortunately i'm only half kidding. oh well.
  16. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Hear hear, Heather!
    I agree, that's what it's all about - but apparently not everyone does. I love the music and can feel it in my soul but most of our better leaders won't dance with me, because they will have to limit their steps due to my beginner status.

As to how one is supposed to improve without attending milongas - I've talked to some fellow dancers and found out quite a few of them spend a lot of time and money on classes, including many private lessons. Then they can show up to a dance already having great skills. That is not an option for me financially, so I just go to as many milongas as I can afford, and hope for the best.

I posted some of these thoughts in another forum, but the bias against beginners seems more pronounced in AT. It is the only dance that I do where some leaders, when starting to dance with me, actually ask me how many lessons I have had.
  17. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

These "better leaders" who you say that won't dance with you I can guarantee are not good dancers if they adopt such an attitude. And truly, those who overwhelmed me some years ago, I dance with today and I think, "why did I ever think he was so good. He isn't". So forget what you are seeing and go by how you feel. (Yep, dare I say it. Very much like having s*x. If it doesn't feel good for (either one of) you then something is not being done right. And trust me, further down the line you will get to dance with some of these guys and think, "why on earth did I ever think he was that good".

I know many will disagree but a good class run by a good teacher a couple fo times a week together with attending milongas and setting aside a 20 or so minutes at home by yourself working on the walk, ochos, giros, balance etc is all that you need. Privare tuition is good if you can afford it, but frankly, the private student I have seen doesn't necessary make a better dancer over one who attends large classes. (This I have definitely seen).

In the beginning, the occasional guy used to ask me the same question - how many lessons have I had I always replied, "how many lessons have you had in learning to be an prat" (British slang for idiot or a*sehole). My attitude then and now is that I don't need a dance that badly to accept an insult. But I tell you what, it does give you a good feeling when further down the line when same "prat" is now eyeing you up for a dance and you do an immediate u-turn when you see him approaching. Allow no room for disgraceful behaviour and just use it as a tool to get better and then later on a worthy weapon :)
  18. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Love your advice! Very helpful and reassuring. Unfortunately "a good class run by a good teacher a couple times a week" is still out of my budget. AT Classes are expensive so I'm not taking any right now, but hope to resume them early next year. Meanwhile, I definitely do practice my walk & other moves at home.
  19. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I would venture to say that these puported "better leads" who do this are not as good as they think they are. I'd clump them in as either one of the "Hot-shot wanna be Jerks," or the "Aspiring teacher jerk."

It's not your skill that's lacking, its his. Some day you'll be better than he.

I would also echo Heather's advice. She speaks the truth.
  20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I am interested in the abilities not only of any current partner, but my partner's teachers. I have been known to ask people who they are taking lessons from. I have some idea who teaches what in my area, and I find it interesting to keep up on any changes in their approach to teaching. There is a fair amount of consitency in what kind of dancer the various teachers have been turning out. Then, too, there are people who have recently set themselves up as teachers, and I like to get some idea of what they are doing.