Unavoidable Truths of Life and Gems of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Phil Owl, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Post 'em here folks, things you've observed, your gems of wisdom and unavoidable truths you've encountered in your life's journey thus far. I'll start with:

1) You are NOT doing well in life if you are in ANY way, shape or form compared to Woody Woodpecker

Your turn----------------

2. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

"Truth is beauty, beauty is truth." Keats

3. LACHopeful

LACHopeful New Member

Quote to live by~*
    If you think you're beaten, you are;
    If you think you dare not, you don't;
    If you'd like to win, but think, you can't
    It's almost a cinch you won't.
    If you think you will lose, you're lost;
    For out in the world we find,
    Success begins with a fellow's will,
    It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are;
    You've got to think high to rise.
    You've got to hustle before
    You can ever win a prize.
    Life's battles don't always go
    To the stronger or faster man,
    But sooner or later the man who wins
    Is the one who thinks he can.
    -Walter D. Wintle, "The Man Who Thinks He Can"

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

action precedes motivation

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

what you think, feel, and believe creates your reality as scientifically as heat making water boil...

6. reb

reb Active Member

inspiration all around . . . just today saw this:

Excellence is the result of . . .
    • Caring more than others think is wise
    • Risking more than others think is safe
    • Dreaming more than others think is practical, and
    • Expecting more than others think is possible

7. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

People don't really change. Recognize this and you'll be spared an awful lot of heartache.

8. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :(

9. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

This isn't a quote, but ...
    Have you ever noticed that if someone seems to go overboard in criticizing others, they are so often guilty of the same fault? Think of all the preachers who rant against adultery and are caught with a prostitute, or your friends who complain about lousy drivers as they are cutting someone else off on the freeway!

Knowing this helps keep me humble (??) because so often when I mentally complain about someone else, I think back over the past few days and find I engaged in the same bad behavior. And the person who most frequently gets me irritated with things I do myself is my mother ... though perhaps this isn't strange given the mother-daughter relationship.

10. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It's called hypocrisy...and yeah, it's pervasive, for sure.

11. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I think of hypocrisy as knowingly taking one position in public while holding a different view in private. What I'm thinking of is when a person honestly believes on the surface level they are not breaking the rules, or they have special reasons why that particular rule doesn't apply to them. They tend to be truly surprised when anyone points out their faults, though they may subconsciously be aware of what they are doing.

12. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

People can change, to a degree, if they can choose to change. ;)

13. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

i'll elaborate on this some other time, but people can change, and drastically so. oftentimes, they are surprised to find that those who knew them in their older persona will not accept the new/better persona as real, and you'll be left to find new relationships and friends which will flourish, of course. the exception to this being very few close friends who see you and try and go thru those changes... they tend to stick around because they now admire you even more...

14. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

People do change, but only they want to.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

three cheers to that! :)

16. Genesius Redux

Mmmm, not really, no. Not *essentially.* These are words of wisdom here!

17. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I agree; people can evolve over time, which is akin to change. For instance, I'm getting a little more laid back and mellow as I get older. It's not a complete conscious change, per se, but as it happens, I'm more aware of it. I think I'm also less apt to care what people think about me...but that could be from constantly reading Andy Rooney's Women Over 40 blurb. Two changes for the better, imo, for my own peace of mind.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i have definitely changed through the course of my lifetime... essentially... but i also know what it took to achieve that... deep change isn't for the faint of heart... ;)

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. Genesius Redux

But like the song....

"I don't want clever conversation,
    I never want to work that hard.
    I just want someone that I can talk to,
    I want you just the way you are!"

On the other hand, I kinda like your clever conversations....

20. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

change is fun. change also leads to losses. change makes your more soulful while making you a bit heartless. change adds so much to life, while stealing away old gifts that you cherished for long. if you embrace change, be willing lose some, and hope and try to gain far more.