Unavoidable Truths of Life and Gems of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Phil Owl, Feb 23, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yeah, change involves releasing old patterns to make way for the new... and grieving can be a very big part of that... i've grieved an ocean in this lifetime... but i always made way for an ocean of happiness by doing so. i wouldn't say it has made me more heartless... quite the opposite.

IME, grieving can feel like you're dying along with the object of your grief, but one doesn't... as long as you release every drop of it, you make it to the other side and there is only emptiness, into which you can fill all manner of joy.

and then, change can also be like decluttering, emptying out all the way down to only what's essential & beloved in your life... i used to help people declutter, and i know that if they don't do it quickly enuf, they start to get bogged down and overwhelmed. it sure does help to just make the decision & go for it, like ripping off a bandaid without thinking too much about it along the way!
  2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

A man spent his fortune on gambling, horses and women. The rest he spent foolishly.
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I can only be responsible for myself.
    While I may not have control over what happens to me, I have full control over how I react to things.
    Accept, accept, accept...forgive, forgive, forgive.
    My life is entirely mine. It may not be what I dreamed of, or what I expected, or what I'd honestly prefer--but it's all mine, it's all I've got, and it's up to me and only me to make the most of it.

Also, and this is kind of particular given that I'm a non-believer, I believe you only get one chance in this world to make a difference. There is no asking for forgiveness, there is no redemption, there is no chance at heaven. It's up to me to behave humbly and courteously and kindly and with grace to those around me--to ask forgiveness from them when i don't. Heaven is what I make for myself and others while I'm here.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:D
  5. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Change can be good, change can be bad. :cool:
  6. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -Albert Einstein
  7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Life is complex. There are real parts and imaginary parts.

(I think I've used that one already, but I forget where)
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

never look or you'll never leap
  9. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Came across this quote. Very true.

"Be careful how you judge others...As Scottish author J.M. Barrie said, 'Never ascribe to an opponent motives meaner than your own..." We tend to judge others based on their behaviour, and ourselves based on out intent. In almost all situtaions, we would do well to recognize the possibility-even probablity-of good intent in others..sometimes despite their observable behaviour." -Stephen M.R. Covey in 'The Speed of Trust'
  10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Everyone thinks they're an above-average lover and driver.

And, relevant to this forum, none of us are as good a dancer as we think we are :sad:
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

awesome well stated observation
  12. fascination

dunno.....am a great driver not a great lover, and tend to UNDERESTIMATE my dancing...at least that is what I hear
  13. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

IME, most people underestimate their dancing, me included. We see our faults whereas others see our strengths.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

for dire straits: "be grateful for help unknown, already on the way"
  15. SnowDancer

SnowDancer New Member

"Todo tiene su final."
  16. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance –
    it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Smooth Dancer likes this.
  17. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

The personality trait that makes you fall in love with a person will someday be the thing you most dislike about that person. Every positive trait has a negative side, and if you live with someone long enough the negative side will manifest itself. When you first experience the negative, it would be easy to feel let down. But a good relationship is one in which both parties acknowledge the two-faceted nature of their characteristics, and continue to celebrate the positive aspects while forgiving the negative.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  18. fascination

yep...I tell this to engaged couples all the time...they don't beleive it yet...but they will
  19. reb

reb Active Member

:smile:
  20. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

1) If George W Bush tells you that you're doing a great job, your career, political or otherwise IS TOAST!

2. You can learn a lot about a person by dancing with them

3. It takes a person with a big heart and an equal intelligence to admit they’re wrong about something; likewise, it takes a person with a tiny heart and an even smaller intelligence to have to ALWAYS be right all the time, it’s people like these that start cults.

4. The 9 most dreaded words in the English language: “I’m from the government and I’m here to help”.

5. Never live or die by other people’s opinions of you. Even your detractors will grudgingly respect you for sticking to your guns and holding onto your principles

6. There's no such thing as useless information

7. Much like a car in neutral will go nowhere, a person who is neutral will live likewise.

8. Life is way too short, too rich and too worthwhile to spend hours in front of a TV

9. Clichéd but still true, if something sounds too good to be true, it very likely is just that.

10. ANY group that claims that they’re the ONLY ones on the whole planet doing it right, is presided over by a loud, egocentric, fast-talking charismatic leader, makes a lot of grandiose promises and/or tries to make you feel inadequate/guilty or somehow less than worthy a person if you don’t sign on to their cause is one that must be avoided at all costs.

11. Legislation will NEVER fix or change problems that are deeply rooted in the human soul