Understanding codigos

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

:confused:

2. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

:D Welcome back.

So what, you'd recommend "cruzada" instead of "cross"? How about walking - "caminar"?
    Shurely not? :)
    But, OK, what's the difference then?

Mmm... not sure about that, to be honest. Yes, there's informal ways to attract the attention of the person you want to dance with, but generally in most dance scenes it involves walking up to someone likely-looking, catching their attention, and asking them to dance.

Tango is different, because it has an actual "system" for this mechanism, and because this system lays out the male and female roles quite strictly.

There's some truth in that - names make it "official" and "formal" - but there's also some truth in that the "traditional" cabaceo doesn't work well in some places (like London, for example).

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Have just been reading the book 'Embracing Tango' by Gustavo Benzecry Sabá (Abrazos Books) and come to the chapter on Codigos. There's 36 of them and it could have been something that Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams could have invented. They're just so extreme its comic. Like dancing in a mafia den where you know everyone is carrying a gun and if you should bump into anyone its curtains. Like the scene with Arnie on the rooftop in the Last Action Hero. the book is worth reading, not brilliant but very interesting

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I just bought that book myself a couple weekends back at a Tango festival in Vermont, where Gustavo was one of the teachers. He (and Maria) were probably the best pair of teachers there. He's also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

I had a few conversations with him, and one thing he said was that before I go to Buenos Aries, I should know about the codes.