Underturning in Viennese Waltz

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Tenehill, Dec 12, 2007.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think that's the point. Often socially, a "normal" stride back is too long, so too short a stride is just right. Super shortening the stride back is much preferable to picking up or pulling your partner.

CC, it's not about becoming a "slave" or the woman leading. It's about inviting your partner, and if she doesn't come along, then adjusting. You don't sound so much as concerned about men becoming slaves as you do about women NOT BEING SLAVES. A woman saying no to your lead is no excuse for dragging/pulling/picking them up. She's not a slave either!
    There was a thread once where you were upset your pro wouldn't risk her life and career so you could do a lift. I think it's important to remember in partner dancing: It's NOT all about YOU!!
    If you want it to be all about what you want, get into some sort of solo dancing. There's hip hop and lyrical classes all over the place!

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

It's admirable that you have such high standards. :) Perhaps if you worked on things in the following order: dancing, shirt, woman...? I imagine you'd have quite enough to think about with your own dancing without worrying over someone/something else. Besides, I'm sure the woman can deal with perfection quite nicely on her own.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You said it TC, the real problem is finding the perfect men...

[er, just kidding...]

4. reb

reb Active Member

Why did this make me think of the tv show MONK?

5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

<lol> Shirt should be higher on the list of priorities.

6. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

Is there a flu epedemic in the US too right now? Here in the Netherlands there sure is. I haven't been able to dance for a whole week now... :cry:

:confused:

Oh, it's off topic you say?

:neutral:

Yeah it is, feels good doesn't it?

:p

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Inasmuch as you would be doing very small strides in VW I think it could be called 'on topic'.

[topic police will retire now before the gods get here...:car:]

8. contracheck

contracheck New Member

No, no, don't shoot yourself. Instead, do what fasc does: Have a shot of Whisky rather than a shot of bullet. Both are bad but Whisky is infinitively better than bullets. Otherwise, I have to tell you that you have a dancer's dream body. I don't know how many lives these simple words have saved.

9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am shocked about you remembering this post long long ago. I have to be a little careful if people are going to remember what I posted.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

speaking of inviting...as wooh's post reminds me...one very fine coach of mine always reminds us that it is the ladies' job to do the inviting(at least when moving backward)...as she is poised forward she has to be ready to get her right hip out of the way and after he goes she has to commit fully to that forward step with good push and cbm...frankly, I find it harder not to over turn the dang thing...but I am athletic and extreme like that...meh...I think also key is that folks keep trying to turn the thing with their arms and legs instead of their centers...dunno if that makes sense but I must at least do it right b/c it is always our best mark

11. fascination

mini highjack...and I loathe whiskey

12. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I have no question about your liking VW and most of other dances. I was questioning if your partner was making you unhappy by underturning, which made you drink. High noon is a time for a gun fight in a movie and not for drinking, Whicky or otherwise.

13. fascination

no we don't underturn

14. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

It seems like everyone has different interpretations of what lead is, to me it is communicating what to do\guiding. With both dancers moving thierselves. As opposed to trying to make it happen in a specific way. Like operating a puppet. Since the man knows what's coming, he should be making the adjustments. I saw a couple videos lately that stressed that. That approach has really helped our dancing. We always got excellent in transistion on our evaluations and it was because of this approach.

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

At the danger of being a bore (I have quoted this before) my favorite definition of 'lead' is that the man creates a space and the woman moves into it. That for me is the perfect lead - my body occupies a moving space that the lead is creating - when things go perfectly, it feels like there is no real physical contact at all I just move...

Would love to hear how championship followers describe it and if I am on the right track.

16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums up what Peter Eggleton told me recently, and I'm pretty sure he knows whereof he speaks :cool:

17. fascination

yea...and I am pretty sure that is where my coach got it;)

18. gary718

gary718 New Member

A year or so ago I had the same problem. Everything was fine when dancing with my instructor or a few of the better dancers, but with others the turns always came up short. At the time I felt that it had to be something the lady was doing since it didn’t happen with everyone. Tonight I attended a group class teaching the reverse turn and had no problem leading twenty different partners (mostly beginners) through the turns. A year ago there were a few ladies that were good enough to match my stride and accommodate my other shortcomings to make the dance work. Today I know how to adjust my steps and to create the space for my partner to dance into.
    My feeling is the partners have to work together and take equal responsibility for making things work. When I invite my partner to step forward, will she move 36 inches or maybe 32… adjustments have to be made if the patterns are to work. With this particular step I most often have to shorten my step back on the second half of the pattern.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I bet thats where it originates from. Next person to have a lesson with him please ask! I would love to put a name on the quote.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

so does anyone actually do heel turns in VW, as suggested earlier?