Upcomming comps with good amateur attendance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Nationals is over, and the collegiate season is wrapping up next weekend. Which competitions over the next couple of months are likely to have more than token amateur attendance in standard champ, and possibly pre-champ? I'm thinking northeast mostly, but a good opportunity might merit flying somewhere.
  2. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Manhattan Dancesport
    Nevada StarBall
    Embassy
  3. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Member

I am guessing New Jersey DanceSport Classic Summer Sizzler is going to be reasonably big because it's a qualifier for 2009 Nationals
  4. Chris Stratton

Yeah, Manhattan is definitely on the short list, and Embassy of interest if travel turns out to be warranted. What is Nevada usally like?

And yes, noticed the shift of qualifier 'blessing' to the sizzler - and with it shift of venue to the ice rink. Which actually seemed to work well, only it would be nice if they let people in to change before the evening session rather then keeping us waiting outside and then complain that they can't start prechamp on time...
  5. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Last year at the Nevada Star Ball there were 26 couples in Standard Prechamp and a semi in standard champ. Its been even bigger other years. And the venue is really nice. The pool at 8am absolutely can not be beat (and I don't usually look for a vacation BUT..). Great competition with lots of amateurs from Utah.
  6. Chris Stratton

Interesting - though with Embassy also in August that's a lot of travel.
  7. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

Well it's a bit soon, but there's the Crystal Leaf in Toronto (next weekend) which is at a VERY nice venue. Last year they had a semi in both Pre-Champ and Champ (depends what you mean by 'token' attendance), and they DO get IDSF sanctioning there. Perhaps next year will interest a few more, they've been awarded the World 10-Dance Championships for 2009.
  8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

American star ball in May had a semi in champ standard 2 years ago... straight final last year though

cherry hill in July
  9. Chris Stratton

Yes was looking at AMS. Not technically during Blackpool this year, but certainly in it's shadow.
  10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

As we established in another thread, not all serious couples are going to Blackpool.. so hopefully there will be some couples in attendance.
  11. Chris Stratton

Good point.

So, some possibilities would seem to be (dates typically of saturday)
    American Star NJ May 22
    Sizzler NJ June 14 (fixed - thanks)
    Yankee MA June 19
    Manhattan NYC July 5
    Embassy CA August 30
  12. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Summer Sizzle is actually June 14th according to the USA Dance Calendar
  13. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

pretty sure summer sizzler is in june
  14. Chris Stratton

15. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

no prob. I'm planning on going to Summer Sizzler and dancing PreChamp and Champ Standard. Possibly going to Millenium too down in florida at the end of june.
  16. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

It would be great if you guys would consider the Atlanta Open. We are trying to build the amateur scene here.:D
  17. reb

reb Active Member

darn, and I just lost my amateur partner . . . gotta get on that for next Atlanta Open! :D

Hope you get some good participation!
  18. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I haven't looked at the International numbers, but you can check to see how many competitors MIT has in each category. The registration is on ballroomregirstrar . com.
  19. BM

BM New Member

From what I understand, the OP is already registered for that one, and is looking for additional competitive opportunities during the summer season. :)
  20. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Oops. Note to self: read more carefully! :)