USA Dance Nationals 2011--Back to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, May 25, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I think the question was why, if all dancers have to do a costume check, some dancers were notified in advance of problems but others not.

And that was addressed. The dancers in question were notified at a previous event.

Whatever the final judgment, it's is up to the adjudicators of the event, IMO. :cool:
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

All results are at o2cm dot com. You do not need a number to log in; you just pick "Results" from the left side menu, then the event you want.

Adult Championship Smooth isn't until tonight, but the senior championship events have been danced, as have many syllabus events. (And there isn't much in the way of pre-teen, junior, or youth smooth; looks like there were a few uncontested junior and youth bronze and silver events.)
  3. dancetime

dancetime New Member

What Vlada was wearing at MAC is irrelevant, because it's a different dress (black). I also learned that she wasn't given any warning at the said competition.
  4. pygmalion

Oh. Okay. So we're back to my earlier question that went unanswered. Are the costuming guidelines ambiguous enough to cause problems?

And, while we're at it, is there or should there be a standard policy in terms of notifications, warnings and disqualifications -- a policy that is applied across the board?

ETA: Maybe this belongs in another thread. And maybe that thread already exists. (TC?) The only threads I can remember on the topic of costumes were wrt syllabus dancers and what's permissible or verboten. Not sure that those conversations apply, in this case.
  5. ChaChaMama

If I could build on this point...there were TWO couples who were called up after the Adult Championship Latin QF for costume violations. Neither of those couples was Tal/Vlada.

Vlada did changes dresses for the final, but from what I have been told, it was to the same dress, different color. (I do not trust my fashion sense enough to say whether it was exactly 100% the same, but it looked basically the same).

So I think the question would be "Why call it in the final, rather than in the quarter or the semi?" This is assuming that the color wasn't the problem, and I think the only color that is a problem is flesh toned.

Normally, of course, I would be able to make CCP give us a photo preview, but thanks to the new photo policy, WHICH I HATE, I cannot.

The photo policy seems to have some, ahem, exceptions. I probably should not say more, because I do not want to be intemperate.
  6. pygmalion

I used to make all my own clothes, ccm. Trust your fashion sense. Change in color doesn't necessarily mean a different dress.

Maybe I should resurrect the thread about the photo policy, now that lots of people have had a chance to see the policy in action. I've forgotten what that thread is called, but I will try to find it. :cool:
  7. ChaChaMama

Oh! I just remembered one other thing that I HAVE TO SAY.

The super-generous volunteers at this comp are AMAZING!!!

There were people who volunteered all day, every day this weekend. There are people who will have easily put in 55-70 hours of volunteer work this weekend, and gone on little sleep and re*fresh*ment to make this event happen, people like Daphna Locker, Ava Brennan, Lin Quek, Laura LaGassa, Amy from Johns Hopkins, and many others.

To those who make this event happen through their unstinting, devoted effort and amazing organizational skill, I say

THANK YOU.
  8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

what was the issue with the costume? What was 'illegal"?
  9. Oversway

Oversway New Member

Thanks for the information Joe.
  10. Nazar

Nazar Member

Tibor, you're GOOD!:)
    Thanks for all your work!
  11. Tibor Kerekes

Tibor Kerekes Member

Thank you.It is my pleasure.
    See you in emerald?
  12. Nazar

Nazar Member

probably not gonna go to Emerald this time...Atlanta?
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Re: costume issue, was it because of this rule?

"Dance pants must be at least 2” from top to bottom at narrowest point in the hip area"
  14. Tibor Kerekes

Tibor Kerekes Member

Not for me.Millenium is my next one after that.
  15. Tibor Kerekes

Tibor Kerekes Member

This was the reason.
  16. rainerng

rainerng Member

Recalling 7 for final

Hi, is it a tradition to recall 7 for the finals at us nationals? Why then were some heats a six couple final?

Thanks
  17. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

They try for 6. But it might not happen due to a variety of reasons.

If the semifinal has 13 or 14 couples, judges will be asked to recall 7, and it will be a 7 couple final. Sometimes even though there are 12 couples in the semifinal, judges marks turn out with a bunch of ties, and the chair will have to decide between a final of 5 or 7, and they go with the 7. Sometimes there are 3-4 way ties, and the choice may be between 4 and 8 couple finals, where you might end up with an 8 couple final. Or sometimes there are only 7-8 couples registered, which will be run as a final. It all depends on circumstances, but the target number they aim for is always 6.

And this is not unique to nationals, or USADance events.
  18. Purl

Purl New Member

I have to say I was impressed at how well the evacuation went considering that it happenned right before awards for many pre-teen categories. I was walking out with my son who was anxious at first but calmed down once he saw how calm everybody was. And yes, we were told the smell came from one of the stores in the attached mall baking cookies:confused:

I have to say huge THANK YOU to all the volunteers who were great!!! The comp was well run and fun to attend. :D
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Amanda Ashcraft (my roommate haha)!!!
  20. Benjy

Benjy Member

False. Never once was or any other championship competitor I know of asked to do a costume check. Many couples were not even asked for passports.