USA Dance Nationals 2011--Back to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, May 25, 2010.

1. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Shouldn't the competitors know the rules, though?

Anyway I heard that the ruling was reversed. What do they say was the reason behind it?
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Definitely not, because she is amazing!!!

Do any amateur comps in the eastern time zone run without her help? I can't imagine how that would work. ;)
    twirl2010 likes this.
  3. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

In regards to the ruling...

The couple that was originally announced as 5th also had a costume violation.(I don't know for what) Since both couples had violations, and they were the two bottom couples, it was decided that they keep the placement the judges gave them. Essentially, the two disqualifications canceled each other out.

And there was an actual fire in the mall attached to the hotel. I think it was in the Levis store.
  4. Benjy

Benjy Member

It's a nice thought, but sometimes things just don't end up covering quite what you envisioned in your head. And it's not like we each keep 20 costumes lying around.
  5. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

You should probably keep at least one that you know is legal then.
  6. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

And fyi, costume checks were supposed to be required for all syllabus competitors. My partner checked us in with my costume while I was volunteering, so I can't say for sure if they checked it or not. They used to make all competitors check in, but even then, people would check in with one costume and then wear a different one to compete in. Either way, the costume check in table was available all weekend for ANY competitor who wanted to double check to make sure their costume was allowed. My partner had a hair piece she wasn't sure of, so she asked ahead of time and was told no.

Competitors, if you're not sure, find out ahead of time.
  7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

USA Dance DanceSport Rulebook Edition 13
  8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks for the clarification, Casayoto. :)

BTW, I like your new avatar!
  9. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

This was clearly outlined in the Nationals registration. My husband teaches senior champ competitors. Even they had to show their costumes. My husband, as their coach, checked the rulebook to make sure that each costume is legal.
  10. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I was asked to show my costume when I checked in at previous Nationals as well as previous NQEs, but I was not asked at this year's Nationals.

I did hear other competitors talking in the dressing room about having received warnings that their costumes were in violation and if it wasn't rectified they would be penalized in the final if they made it.
  11. Benjy

Benjy Member

I'm just telling you that regardless of what the rules were, we were not asked to show our costumes.
  12. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Don't we try our hardest to do our best at competitions? Our hair, our dress, our tan, our nails, our dance. A single stranded hair will bother us. Why don't we apply the same kind of perfectionism to the rules? Thinking we may get away with a certain thing seems to be silly.
  13. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Some of us do. But unfortunately as I have seen demonstrated time and time again, some people don't believe the rules apply to them.

Sometimes the rules end up changing to reflect the reality of the people who aren't following them, like how USA Dance changed the rules to allow teaching for money, since so many people were doing it anyway so it became impossible to enforce.

And sometimes people just continue to break the rules, often without consequence.
  14. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Then they shouldn't be surprised when there is a consequence.

After I said what I said, the big problem is with USA Dance officials as usual. I would have expected that they disqualify both couples who broke the rules. It seems that their policy is two wrongs make both right.
  15. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Dancebug, they did disqualify both couples. A disqualification in the final puts you in last place. Since two couples were dq'd, they took the last two spots.

Benjy, regardless of whether someone asked you to show your costume, it's still your responsibility to follow the rules.(I of course mean "you" in general since there was nothing wrong with your costume.)

Thanks TC!!
  16. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Their placement had nothing to do with costumes. Their placement was their placement according to marks.
  17. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

My understanding is that yes they were placed as they were marked but only because they were already in the last positions. As I remember it, there was a miscommunication Friday night where only the DQ for Tal was taken into account and they were pushed to 6th, when that miscommunication was realized the fix was announced on Saturday night, that since both of the last place couples had violations the placements would stand as marked because they'd both be dropped down and would end up exactly where they started.

This is of course only my understanding of what was announced and I was rather busy and didn't get to catch all of the announcements or issues.
  18. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Does anyone know what "disqualification" means in this context?
  19. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Like I already said Dancebug, if you are disqualified in the final, you automatically take last place, either in that dance if it is a one time violation like a lift, or in all dances if it is a constant violation like a costume infraction. So in this case, as Meagan said, the bottom two couples were given an automatic last place due to disqualification. Since they were both dq'd, the order of their placement didn't change. If they had been placed 3rd and 4th by the judges, they would have still ended up 5th and 6th since they can't be dropped any farther than that.
  20. Oversway

Oversway New Member

<devil's advocate>
    Wouldn't they have found costume violations for the 5th and 6th place couples as well in that case? And everyone would have ended up in the same place again :p
    </devil's advocate>